springer fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dorian said:
I don't think that most people who are building custom bikes are trying to make wanna-be motorcycles. I love classic bicycle tank panelling but I hate to see someone bolt on a harley gas tank to a bicycle :oops: . Sometimes a fork can look visually heavy without actually being heavy. I could see that your machined billet fork had lots of time and energy put into it, but when I first saw it I thought it was bulked up for motorcycle use. For a bicycle It looks heavy to me, visually heavy. I would also say that any spring fork that someone makes for his bicycle is a real springer fork, but just maybe one that didn't cost a fortune to make. Most of the enjoyment of building custom bikes comes from being self creative, and trying your best to make a personal statement on wheels.

I just don't know if there is a market for $1200 forks :?: And shipping alone from your location in the middle east to the U.S. would cost a fortune.

Again, good luck on the project.

Dorian

im not really building a wannt-be motorcycle, i am building a stingray into a motorcycle.. :lol:
which why i want quality parts, if i have to use a dinky classic type springer so be it, but im gonna run disc brakes 'possibly drum brakes' that would look cool :p
I dont want to use actual motor cycle parts, like one time i saw a Perfect condtion 70" Yamaha tank all shinny and everything just sitting in the dump..
but i didnt bother cause i knew my dad wouldn't like me hauling that back.. wish i could have saved it..
like this tank in about same condtion
4164872740_aff17a2e12.jpg
:|

Ill start drawing up designs of how i want the Stingray chopper to look.. :)

ilia-45 said:
I decided to conduct an experiment, the materials ordered and should arrive next week :)
I'll do one for the Cruiser, for extra-wide tires, 4 inch, I think it's nice to look :roll:
a basic tripple tree or what?

I mean the type and length of the fork, the design and execution will be different.
This Harley Davidson Fork,mine will be different, the pipe will be straight, and will be triple trees on screws,others spring, most likely will double bottom springs,and a lot of work on the machines and a bunch of aircraft-grade aluminum :roll:
Maybe on top will be spikes :wink:

ilia-45 said:
I mean the type and length of the fork, the design and execution will be different.
This Harley Davidson Fork,mine will be different, the pipe will be straight, and will be triple trees on screws,others spring, most likely will double bottom springs,and a lot of work on the machines and a bunch of aircraft-grade aluminum :roll:
Maybe on top will be spikes :wink:
yeah i see what your saying..
i have a drawing, but its only a mod for a 26' schwinn blade to springer mod idea 'not the one i want built' just a concept mod :p

Edit: pics..
524528_367374696667022_1579748563_n.jpg

422344_367374623333696_178530943_n.jpg

Schwinn flat 26in Bolt on springer mod 'concept' V00.1 - V00.2
376285_367374926666999_1012289673_n.jpg

ilia-45 said:
With pleasure I will monitor the progress of your project iven :wink:
I was thinking about my fork, which axis of wheels used by most, I mean the diameter of the axis, 6,10,12 mm?
alright cool :p
could you give me a diagram of what these dimensions are used for? like is that the off set points of the legs from wheel in the rocker arm?

iven

I asked about the thickness of the wheel axle.
Diagrams for this not needed.
What kind of reference point you are talking, they all depend on the location of rods of springs,for example, one type of fork, it can be 25mm and 45mm at the other,you do not want to build an entire fork and want to combine then you must choose the parameters empirically, or to calculate the geometry of the fork and on the basis of this build it.
I just have nothing to give you, it will not work if you do not do it completely :?
Check out on the Internet about the concepts of rake and trail,and all will become clear :wink:

ilia-45 said:
iven

I asked about the thickness of the wheel axle.
Diagrams for this not needed.
What kind of reference point you are talking, they all depend on the location of rods of springs,for example, one type of fork, it can be 25mm and 45mm at the other,you do not want to build an entire fork and want to combine then you must choose the parameters empirically, or to calculate the geometry of the fork and on the basis of this build it.
I just have nothing to give you, it will not work if you do not do it completely :?
Check out on the Internet about the concepts of rake and trail,and all will become clear :wink:
well for axle size i would want 10mm - 3/8s
i think i see what your saying, im still just sketching concepts at the moment though :p

iven
I will give you an example taken from the original drawings of our fork-type :wink:
If from the center of the tube to the center of the spring 2.25 inche,the distance between the axes of the rocker will be 1.5 inches and the distance from the second axis to the axis of the wheel is 2.375 inch :wink:
I hope this will help you in your sketches 8)

Here is a photo I just got from john Brain, I told him the idea of a bolt together springer and he said this fork was marketed around 2005. He said a motorcycle machine shop made them. looks nice! :D this fork would be great with dog bone risers!

billetspringer.jpg

ilia-45 said:
Dorian
Oh, this is similar to what I'm going to do,very interesting to see how they made the bottom of the fork,normally this is where everything is very ugly,the lower part is the most interesting, I would like to see a photo of it,If it's not too difficult please :p
yeah thats basically the fork i want you to build, and i was wonfering if risers would be a thing to addon you could make for it :D

Dorian said:
Here is a photo I just got from john Brain, I told him the idea of a bolt together springer and he said this fork was marketed around 2005. He said a motorcycle machine shop made them. looks nice! :D this fork would be great with dog bone risers!

billetspringer.jpg

yeah thats pretty much what i want right there, but with the risers :p

Latest posts

Back