springer fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iven

I do adjustable forks,with three triple trees,the central one with the springs can be moved up and down it regulates the drawdown of the fork :wink:
The length I can do for every taste, short for Cruiser or for a long chopper-style 70 is not a problem :p
Dorian
This is a beautiful fork, one of the best homemade I have ever seen :!:
Minus of such fork is that it is not regulated, it is suitable only to the bicycle for which it was built and when you try to put it on another bike, you receive the wrong angle settings, and since it welded, then there is nothing to do :cry:

ilia-45 said:
iven

I do adjustable forks,with three triple trees,the central one with the springs can be moved up and down it regulates the drawdown of the fork :wink:
The length I can do for every taste, short for Cruiser or for a long chopper-style 70 is not a problem :p
Dorian
Minus of such fork is that it is not regulated, it is suitable only to the bicycle for which it was built and when you try to put it on another bike, you receive the wrong angle settings, and since it welded, then there is nothing to do :cry:

i basically am searching for a way to build a fork of the one above 'without welding' :!: i have started to draw up ideas.. but its going to be hard, i think im on to something..
id send a link of my madscience yibberish if only i still had a scanner at the momment.. but i dont currently..

anywho..
i just need a chopper srpinger that would fit on my stingray and look good. adjustable would be perfect. i mean even if you could build me a front sealed hub with a brake mount, or two :p
its a 1in threaded headtube but if you made it to where it didnt have to be threaded and used a threadless clamp design on a 1in HT that would be great..

if you know what i mean..
i would really like to buy some of your work, but i need to know how much you are gonna ask for it, 'obviously i dont need anything near as b@d@ss as your fork is'
i just need something that would fit my little stingray that captures the style of the era it was produced :p

Dorian said:
Here is a photo of a springer fork that was on another forum site a long time ago, not too big or bulky and it has those classic looks. This was not a production fork but I think it would be perfect for a bicycle chopper. And I'm sure it didn't cost a lot to make, I could probably find out. i think I posted this photo before on this site.

BrainSpringerforksonPowderKegbike20.jpg

i like the risers on it even too :)
its pretty much what i want just chromed or aluminum.. :p

ilia-45 said:
iven

I think I prefer the simplicity of the welded fork in that photo I posted. Its like the old motorcycle chopper springers where you would order by the length. If your making it yourself you can dial it in any way you want for rocker angle etc. If you have one of your machined forks in a long chopper version and you want to put it on a cruiser you will still have to cut it down, and then you are stuck with it being a cruiser fork from then on unless you spend lots more money to make long fork legs again. The welded fork in that photo will probably cost a 1/4 of a machined fork anyways, or less, and I gotta say I prefer the simple look of a fork like that. It kind of looks like one of those old Denvers Choppers forks, which were simple too but they had the look that people really went for.

By all means make the fork that looks best to you, and maybe others will find it attractive enough to pay you to make them one. Good luck with your project.

Dorian

What I'd like to see is, some one to make different rocker arms for Monark Springers like the old harley springer rocker arm. So it puts the axle forward and a little up of the fork. Setting the fork lower to the tire. Or the front spring fork 3" wide for 24x3 tires. Also the shops that do make those expensive chopper springers, why sooo long?.

outsider13
The answer to all your questions, outrageously simple,money....
People are making money, they build something that is easier and cheaper...
As for the length is just a larger demand for them.
I totally agree with you that the very first fork should be suitable for 4 inch wide tires :mrgreen:

something simple like the murry king kat fork..
78JCPenneyBlackCat.jpg

i mean even i could try to find someone to weld me up a fork..

I like the JD or VL Harley springers or the indian Girder? fork. Iv'e seen a modern girder fork before, but it looked really bulky on a bicycle. Some of the chopper after market forks are just tooo bulky, they take away the look of the rest of the bike or chopper bike.

Girders do not have the same interchangability as a springer does. Plus they would be very very costly because of the complexity. A lot of the Euro guys put ancient moped girders on thier cruisers because it is just a lot easier than making your own. I can see why :D .

I think a well made extended Schwinn type fork would give a nice look, but we dont often see this done either.

Dorian said:
Girders do not have the same interchangability as a springer does. Plus they would be very very costly because of the complexity. A lot of the Euro guys put ancient moped girders on thier cruisers because it is just a lot easier than making your own. I can see why :D .

I think a well made extended Schwinn type fork would give a nice look, but we dont often see this done either.
which a long chop fork or girder? weither would look good..

and i wanna do it cause it would look great 'either way' and cause you don't see it often.
that and the fact that stingray pretty much based off a motorcycle frame :p
i just wanna make them look like motor cycles.. idk maybe ill sell something to get a welder and build something.. i just donno..
kinda getting tired of seeing the same old springers everyone has :roll:

Ok went discussions and ideas, it's good :mrgreen:
And what about the reinforcement of ideas with photos :roll:
It will be much clear and understandable :lol:
By the way I disagree with the fact that springer fork looked really bulky on a bicycle,I think it all depends on the execution,the front fork is the first thing that catches your eye on a pair with front wheel,here is all dependent on the design :wink:

I don't think that most people who are building custom bikes are trying to make wanna-be motorcycles. I love classic bicycle tank panelling but I hate to see someone bolt on a harley gas tank to a bicycle :oops: . Sometimes a fork can look visually heavy without actually being heavy. I could see that your machined billet fork had lots of time and energy put into it, but when I first saw it I thought it was bulked up for motorcycle use. For a bicycle It looks heavy to me, visually heavy. I would also say that any spring fork that someone makes for his bicycle is a real springer fork, but just maybe one that didn't cost a fortune to make. Most of the enjoyment of building custom bikes comes from being self creative, and trying your best to make a personal statement on wheels.

I just don't know if there is a market for $1200 forks :?: And shipping alone from your location in the middle east to the U.S. would cost a fortune.

Again, good luck on the project.

Dorian

Dorian
As I wrote, I meant not as heavy as my fork, lighter version of the bike, the bike I'm building is almost motorcycle :roll:
Well, what about the project's see, I was just wondering people's opinions :mrgreen:
By the way I always buy the parts in America, and nothing wrong with shipment prices are humane.

Latest posts

Back