Show us them cars!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonvo4591 said:
when I was a wee lad, my dad had a '64 imperial at the time, I don't remember it too well, but It was cool because it had the ignition switch on the dash instead of the steering column, that was just the bees knees for me at the time :)

The truck I learned how to drive in had the switch on the dash too, 1966 International 1200 series. and no power steering either, boy cars have come a LONG way since then haven't they?

yes sir, I currently own a 79 GMC with the horn button on the dash, not supposed to be that way though. It's a 1 ton truck with aa 4 speed granny tranny and no power steering, but does have hydroboost breaks so it has a P/S pump. weird I know.

Yeah I miss my International. It didn't even have the power brakes, it rode like a log wagon but I hit 3 deer in 1 year and only replaced a headlight. They are some tough trucks. Mine didn't have the original engine, I had an international twin turbo diesel out of a tractor under the hood and the old 4 speed granny tranny in it, only 2wd but she'd pull a house down. pulled a 3 bottom plow with it one year when the tractor broke..... :mrgreen: Try that with these new dodge cummins trucks.... :roll:

yeah, man those old trucks were freakin tanks. my truck was an old tow truck, so it has like super duper heavy duty springs on the back like 16 leaves per side, so the frame flexes before the springs do. so it rides WORSE than a log wagon. No bed on it either, so absolutly no weight over the rear axle. If it had weight, I'm sure it could pull stumps no problem. It's got a nice running 350 under the hood, the granny tranny, and somewhere betweeen 4.10 gears and 5.10's in the Dana 60 narrow dually axle out back.

It's for sale as of like right now.

my plan was to build a wood stake bed for it and drop it down a bit, put some lighter springs on it and drop spindles and paint some speed shop logo on the doors and roll it to cruise in's, I'm still on the fence about selling it I suppose ;)

jonvo4591 said:
my plan was to build a wood stake bed for it and drop it down a bit, put some lighter springs on it and drop spindles and paint some speed shop logo on the doors and roll it to cruise in's, I'm still on the fence about selling it I suppose ;)

That would be pretty sweet, I'm kinda bummed, I had a chance to buy a 1948 Chevy 5 window tow truck last summer I had big plans right off but someone bought it out from under me.

Yeah I ended up buying a 1962 Corvair Greenbrier van instead. A buddy of mine is building it up and making a hot rod out of it. "The Greenbrier Tire Fryer"
Haven't seen it lately but here's what we started with
P4170001.jpg

wow I've always been fascinated with rear engine air cooled things, along with vans, so that's the best of both worlds. I guess I'm fascinated by sleepers too, so that makes 3 worlds ;)

jonvo4591 said:
wow I've always been fascinated with rear engine air cooled things, along with vans, so that's the best of both worlds. I guess I'm fascinated by sleepers too, so that makes 3 worlds ;)
have you been introduced to vw bus sleepers just asking? :D

jonvo4591 said:
I think the hood gives it away, but I'm sure no one would expect that drivetrain, so I guess it still counts as a sleeper
well I have seen the same thing on bugs with 350's so I would never think of a V-10, but the tires give it away big time too.

I would rather have a fire breather flat four to be honest, and still have people scratch their heads when I pop the decklid.

"Dude, there's no way you're vw just smoked my Mustang!" :mrgreen:

I've been kinda toying with a vw monster idea for a few years now, a VW diesel and a VW gas fuel injected engine (such as a golf, rabbit, jetta, exc.) are about the same as far as configuration goes just the diesel is more heavy duty and higher compression. What if you used a diesel block, balanced everything and punch it out to bring the compression down a bit, gas fuel injected head with fuel injection ports used for NOS, a fuel injected cam is basically a track cam, make a custom intake to hold some kind of 4 barrel like a Holley 850 double pumper, run the distributor off where the vac pump goes, 5 speed trans, some slicks, tear out all the interior and cage it and brushed aluminum door panels and dash, cowl the hood to fit the air cleaner in there, maybe a turbo or two, Yeah I'm kinda a gear head with VW fever.

jonvo4591 said:
If it werent for that bustle back trunk on the imperial, lines are very similar to the 66 olds toronado, don't you think?
Definatly!

Thats another awesome car!
Especially jay leno's

And by the way-I saw a FLEET of corvairs today...3 vans and a TON of the cars

outskirtscustoms said:
I've been kinda toying with a vw monster idea for a few years now, a VW diesel and a VW gas fuel injected engine (such as a golf, rabbit, jetta, exc.) are about the same as far as configuration goes just the diesel is more heavy duty and higher compression. What if you used a diesel block, balanced everything and punch it out to bring the compression down a bit, gas fuel injected head with fuel injection ports used for NOS, a fuel injected cam is basically a track cam, make a custom intake to hold some kind of 4 barrel like a Holley 850 double pumper, run the distributor off where the vac pump goes, 5 speed trans, some slicks, tear out all the interior and cage it and brushed aluminum door panels and dash, cowl the hood to fit the air cleaner in there, maybe a turbo or two, Yeah I'm kinda a gear head with VW fever.

sounds to me like you better start slapping parts together ;) If you use a gas fuel injection head, wouldn't the fuel injection ports be located in the FI intake manifold anyway? just a thought. I know nothing about the old watercooled vw engines.

I'm fairly sure they are in the head itself, been a long time since I've owned one or been under the hood of one but if not I can modify the existing intake to hold a carb.

Back