Schwinn Heavy Duti Klunker. Photos and Video Up!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be the same principle as shifting from front ring to ring with out shifting the rear cluster on a 10 to 21 speed

Jats

Obviously, that's not the questionable part... what about the COASTER BRAKE?
I think it will work. The spring load shouldn't change pedaling forward or in reverse. I know they use them on frames like mine built for a derailleur, when they are switching to fixie... and I think locking your feet and pedaling back to activate the coaster would amount to the same forces as far as the tensioner goes. Either way I'm going to find out, my dropouts don't have any adjustments in them so I ordered one...

Carl.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you, but any sprung tensioner will not work with front or rear derailleurs and a coaster brake, a fixed tensioner will not work either, it wont take up the slack when changing gears.

Luke.

Argh!... This almost needs it's own thread... I can't see why it wouldn't work. I believe you but I can't see why... They use a tensioner to make a fixie out of a frame with no dropouts... freewheel cartridges can pedal backwards all day and not affect the tensioner...why would stopping the chain like a coaster, mess up the tensioner? I don't get it.

Carl.

With a freewheel, there is no force on the lower portion of the chain when you pedal back. With a coaster brake or a fixed gear, the tensioned side switches from top to bottom when you pedal backwards. That tension on the bottom length of the chain will destroy the tensioner.

Hmm, so I need a fixed tensioner to adjust my chain, and no front derailleur for me...(which I have a single chainring to use in place of the multi...)

Carl.

Hey Joosh.. That Kruiser looks killer.!!! You planning on using the origenal fork or you changing it out for something different.? BMX fork would balance it out for your trail riding.. unless your going for a suspention fork.?
Nice.. I like it A LOT.!!!

Hey Joosh.. That Kruiser looks killer.!!! You planning on using the origenal fork or you changing it out for something different.? BMX fork would balance it out for your trail riding.. unless your going for a suspention fork.?
Nice.. I like it A LOT.!!!

Thanks! I actually have a rigid carbon fiber fork I will be using. It even has disc brake mounts!

And

Hmm, so I need a fixed tensioner to adjust my chain, and no front derailleur for me...(which I have a single chainring to use in place of the multi...)

Carl.

Does your bike have sliding or vertical dropouts? I still think a Fixed tensioner will be too weak against the forces of skidding, and even slowing. I would consider an eccentric hub if you have vertical dropouts. Not cheap, but very nice. http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Whi...src=DEFAULT1&gclid=CKm-1vajtrwCFcERMwodXhQA2g

Does your bike have sliding or vertical dropouts? I still think a Fixed tensioner will be too weak against the forces of skidding, and even slowing. I would consider an eccentric hub if you have vertical dropouts. Not cheap, but very nice. http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Whi...src=DEFAULT1&gclid=CKm-1vajtrwCFcERMwodXhQA2g

yeah vertical, I went searching thru Googleland after that last post... Thankfully I have a spring tensioner coming, cuz that's what I need, from what I can find on the net... But I have a coaster too, so we'll see what we can do... the spring tension'r can be fixed if need be... This bike won't be ridden hard, but I do want it to be ABLE to be ridden hard... I may have to rethink the whole drive train....

Carl.

Wow, what a coincidence, I built my Klunker bike last week out of one of these frames, and its original wheels!

Mine is 1" headset, I think yours is too!

image-12.jpg

Joosh where you at man? Sorry to hijack yer thread...
What's up wit dis bike?

Carl.

Just bought a bottom bracket. I've been thinking about buying a nice suspension fork, but They can get really pricey. we'll see.

Still on the fence to do a suspension fork or go rigid...

Either one, you could swap that out in a afternoon. If you're like me, you make do with what you got until you get caught up, and then spend it if ya got it.

Carl.

I got ya. I just have to get a shop to pull out the crown race of the fork so I can out mine on. Pretty frustating.

Found a fork on CL; its a Rockshox Psylo. It feels pretty crummy, but it looks nice and cost me only $40.

This longer fork slackened the head angle a good amount, but also raised the bb height to a ludicrous altitude. We'll have to see how it rides.

2iJBed5ch2m5TM9kdhwdmz3PI5e-I3kpAoJYF__Aaa8_zps1ed16ac5.jpeg

t07wq4jEq5Eua-zudarUEsUNQH59u786rg1BKMDBvfE_zps724e37e4.jpeg

bG6NinwvjX0k8nAU6KE0ROybJ89iaLrgKILLt9Rj8l8_zpsf77b5e02.jpeg

J5m5ZMgvibeheCbr-RmFFWiqNvUGLBwiB6b2EaJfrqU_zpsf5918e01.jpeg

Gotta save weight with some carbon spacers!
d_3LhMJntSDLHAgs2e7POw7LPbrAJL6tQabH6Z-qd1Q_zpse4c57c30.jpeg

All I need to get this riding is a bottom bracket, which is on its way.

Back