Savannah, Georgia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather was perfect here in Savannah this past Saturday. I took my camera out and experimented with some more shots for the Photo contest, but also took a few more to show off my city.

Down on the river in front of the 1996 Olympics torch. Savannah hosted the sailing events.
savIMG_8593.jpg

The Waving Girl monument down on the river. She used to wave at all of the ships that came through the port.
savIMG_8595.jpg

Great shot of the Talmadge Bridge along with a dolphin watching charter boat leaving and a cargo ship following behind it.
savIMG_8596.jpg

Cargo ship leaving port. Savannah is the 4th largest container port in the USA!!!
savIMG_8599.jpg

One of the cool looking ferry boats that haul tourists back and forth on the river.
aIMG_8587.jpg

Our grand old Lucas Theater.
savIMG_8646.jpg

Cool shot of the steeples of the church we were married in - Cathedral of St John the Baptist.
savIMG_8629.jpg

Some silly bear that I talked into posing on Flexy. You never know what you will come across in Savannah
savIMG_8639.jpg

Cool rat rod VW bus in front of the Sorrel Weed Mansion
savIMG_8640.jpg

And a better shot of Flexy in front of the Coca Cola ad mural.
aIMG_8626.jpg

When in town, the free ferry boat back and forth the river is a must do for our kids. That and hit the candy store that gives free praline samples when u walk in the door. Makes a great day.

Also attend church at the Lucas Theater Sunday mornings that Savannah Christian Church does there. Awesome place to visit.

Nice pics

1918 Ranger

The ferry boat really gives people a great view of the riverfront. I have only ridden it a couple of times. One of those times was taking my RRBBO6 bike BEER RUN over to be displayed at the Savannah Craft Brew Fest.

Photo_0FC77C12-5EFD-AAE2-2B37-2A6C4EB38E75.jpg

There are two great candy stores on River Street. They both make pralines, divinity, and my favorite Bear Claws.

I never knew that SCC holds service in the Lucas. I may have to go in there one Sunday.

Overcast and windy due to Hurricane Sandy, but what an awesome day for a ride!!!!!!

Here is one of our favorites Savannah sons, Johnny Mercer. Legendary songwriter including "Moon River". I grew up on the island where his family summer home was and swam and skied many times in the Moon River.

savWP_000615.jpg

A lot of my photos have concentrated on buildings and statues and such, but probably Savannah's most unique gems have to be our Squares!!!!
Our original 1733 city plan that includes these beautiful squares ever couple of blocks truly defines the beauty of Savannah. Below is Wright Square which is one of the original squares laid out by Gen. James Oglethorpe in 1733. This square is named after Royal Governor James Wright who was the last colonial governor before the revolution. He is also my great great great great something or other.

savWP_000618.jpg

We had around 17,000 runners yesterday in the Rock and Roll Marathon.

WP_000632.jpg

WP_000633.jpg

marcus84 said:
Seems like a nice enjoyable town. Many great locations for bike pics too :) I really like it.

Grüße aus Deutschland,
Greetz from Germany

Thank you Marcus. Savannah's Historic District is easily walkable or ridable much like "Old Town" areas in many European cities. We are fairly old by US standards (1733), but just children compared to the European scale of things.

kingfish254 said:
marcus84 said:
Seems like a nice enjoyable town. Many great locations for bike pics too :) I really like it.

Grüße aus Deutschland,
Greetz from Germany

Thank you Marcus. Savannah's Historic District is easily walkable or ridable much like "Old Town" areas in many European cities. We are fairly old by US standards (1733), but just children compared to the European scale of things.

Thats right. But there are "young" and planned cities here too. For example Mannheim (1607) or Wilhelmshaven (1869).

Looked up Savannah on the net. Really nice with interesting spots. I never knew Forest Gump sat at the Chippewa Square :)

And it says that River Street is one of the very few places in whole US where you're allowed to drink alcohol in public. Is it true? Cause thats a very important fact to me as a German :mrgreen:

I was told by a bartender on River St. that we could take our drinks anywhere in Savannah. Not just on River St. Is that true?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I was told by a bartender on River St. that we could take our drinks anywhere in Savannah. Not just on River St. Is that true?

"TO GO" plastic cups of beer, wine, or liquor are allowed anywhere in the Historic District (2 square miles). So that means that I walk with a drink from my house to dinner and vice versa.

That's why I am not too worried about my "water bottle". 8)

Haven't posted any Flexy Flat Stanley photos lately. Went for a ride Black Friday and discovered a cool new joint. B&D Burgers moved to a new place in City Market and coverted the old parking lot into a huge outdoor area with an AWESOME big screen.

I think I need to change the 9V in my headlight.

WP_000793.jpg

Felt El Guapo in fron of Confedrerate Memorial in Forsyth Park

WP_000990.jpg

Man, I really need to get up there. My wife and myself love the pirate stuff up there. Plus once i finally get back in country i will be starting my build, and will probably require some help! :wink:

What a great shot! It's amazing that you're only 4 hours away and the grass is still green there! I can't wait to move to Tybee (in about 5 years hopefully). I love Savannah and look forward to calling it the 'big city' in my future home.

Cheers buddy,
Dr. T

FATMAN said:
Man, I really need to get up there. My wife and myself love the pirate stuff up there. Plus once i finally get back in country i will be starting my build, and will probably require some help! :wink:

Come on up!

1918 Ranger said:
King, nice pick. Bet it's nice riding on El Guapo!!!
1918 Ranger

It was a super day. The EG was solid and smooth.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
What a great shot! It's amazing that you're only 4 hours away and the grass is still green there! I can't wait to move to Tybee (in about 5 years hopefully). I love Savannah and look forward to calling it the 'big city' in my future home.

Cheers buddy,
Dr. T

Tank, look forward to calling you "neighbor".

Went for a nice crisp ride today and took some more Savannah Flat Stanley pics of my El Guapo

Pulaski Monumnet
WP_001024.jpg

Got up on the Forsyth Park Bandshell. This is where all of those concerts are held that you see photos of from me.
WP_001019.jpg

Thanks man!
Welcome to just another day in my city!

Here is my latest Old/New City Bike UnBuild (vnitage wheels on new bike) in front of the Six Pence Pub phone booth.

DSCN1650.jpg

Latest posts

Back