Riverside Hoodride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handle bars have been chosen. The are being plucked off this fairly early Roadmaster. Turns out the stem was broken and shimmed with coaster brake pads and the nut to loosen the bars is stuck. May require a little prying, but I will get it out of there one way or the other.
View attachment 25254 View attachment 25255

If a Bug had handlebars, this is what they'd look like for sure. Love the old rusty Bugs. Hope to see more soon on this build.

furyus

I have been stalled out trying to locate some fairly unnecessary but specific parts for the headlight setup. The Devil is in the details.

I have been stalled out trying to locate some fairly unnecessary but specific parts for the headlight setup. The Devil is in the details.
I hear you, man. I've been looking all over for the last couple of bits that I see taking my build over the top in my mind's eye. Good luck!

Any luck on those headl8ght parts?

Any luck on those headl8ght parts?
Yes! After a couple of fails I finally got a hold of a cord I am happy with and got it working. I let myself get way behind but now I am sprinting for the finish.

More to come shortly....
IMG_20160711_220903693.jpg
IMG_20160711_220912063.jpg

That vintage cord is awesome! :thumbsup::cool2:
It was my third attempt at finding the look I was going for. I started with a black cord from an iron but I didn't like the color. Found a second one that was brown but I couldn't figure out how to get the old school phone cord curl. In the end I found the easiest thing to do is find a NOS cord that has been wrapped up for decades and hope for the best. I was pleasantly surprised with the curl when I got it.
cord pic.jpg

Next up, where to hide the batteries????

Love the cord, are you using LEDs or are you still using the original bulb? Either way, it looks cool.
I gutted the inside entirely but decided to go old school and set up a regular old bulb. No hint that I messed with it when its off and you look through the glass. I'm going to have to access those batteries more often but you can't have it all.

Brackets, brackets, brackets. They are a little ugly but some rust should hide any "imperfections".
IMG_20160712_204936821_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160712_222858138.jpg
IMG_20160713_074239042.jpg

Be careful not to go too heavy with the salt. I'm not sure why but w/ hydrogen peroxide and salt you can get a nasty, scaley rust that's a pain to clean really quickly. I ruined a set of fenders that way once.

Be careful not to go too heavy with the salt. I'm not sure why but w/ hydrogen peroxide and salt you can get a nasty, scaley rust that's a pain to clean really quickly. I ruined a set of fenders that way once.
You are absolutely right which is why I am not doing the parts while on the bike. I let them completely dry so that the brown rust doesn't wipe off and then hit with a shot of clear. For this bike it really doesn't matter as much cause I there is so much rust already.

You are absolutely right which is why I am not doing the parts while on the bike. I let them completely dry so that the brown rust doesn't wipe off and then hit with a shot of clear. For this bike it really doesn't matter as much cause I there is so much rust already.
Nice job with the forced patina, can't wait to see this thing put together. Also, thanks for educating the forum and me on hoodrides, now I have built a 49 Chevy pickup, a 54 Buick Super, and a 63 Ford Falcon, now I'm jonesing to try my hand at a VW. Thanks.

Needed somewhere to hide the batteries so just decided to use your standard tank. Not a perfect fit and its seen better days, but that's the whole idea.
IMG_20160713_221839129.jpg

It wasn't so much that I didn't want to drill holes in the tank, I just had a gap to fill.
IMG_20160713_221854504.jpg
IMG_20160713_221938829.jpg

Latest posts

Back