Riverside Hoodride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DX has given up most of its goodies and they are slowly making their way over to the Panther.
Looks like I am finally going to get to use one of my oversized Irvin Young reflectors.
IMG_20160504_225625163.jpg

IMG_20160509_074036622.jpg

IMG_20160507_214510975.jpg

I also started mocking up my headlight that I picked up from Missing Link. He whipped up a handy mount so I can move it up off the fender.
IMG_20160507_223058638.jpg
IMG_20160507_223115030.jpg

Got the rear hub rebuilt and spokes tightened up.
IMG_20160515_103400784.jpg

I can't put it on back on the bike yet because I am still trying to save the chain. I am unable to get the masterlink to come apart so I am soaking the chain as it hangs from the bike. I was hoping that if I got the master link off I might be able to bring it back to life but I am close to giving up and just cutting and replacing.
IMG_20160515_110850449.jpg

Got the rear hub rebuilt and spokes tightened up.
View attachment 24352
I can't put it on back on the bike yet because I am still trying to save the chain. I am unable to get the masterlink to come apart so I am soaking the chain as it hangs from the bike. I was hoping that if I got the master link off I might be able to bring it back to life but I am close to giving up and just cutting and replacing.View attachment 24353
Been there. Hopefully it gets lubed enough that it can be saved. I have had to punch the pins out with a drift and socket then soak the chain. Just leave the pin in the outer link so you can drive it back through easier with channel locks.

Might also be worth it to try using vinegar in a small bucket. Maybe rotate it and watch how long it sets in the vinegar - I forgot a chain in a bucket tho and it completely dissolved!

Chain is off with a about a 50% survival rating. With the rear wheel on I was also able to throw on this crusty set of crash bars.
IMG_20160518_232421257.jpg

Never mind the hardware holding it on at the rack, I'll be replacing or disguising it.

With the tires on and the bike on the ground I was also able to put the front flap on.

IMG_20160518_230758975.jpg
By changing the rake I slid the front fender back and lower to the ground. Added the mudflap and its a scraper.

IMG_20160518_231307663.jpg

Very nice so far. I've been on RRB since 2011, and reading about bikes for longer( @xddorox led me here with his how-to blog) and I've never seen crash bars before. Very cool piece of hardware!
There is more where that came from!

how did you rack that fork? as in how did you lower
On the early Schwinn springers the pivot point underneath the steer tube is offset behind the center of the tube. I just took the entire fork apart and reassembled with the steer tube turned around so the pivot point is now in front of the steer tube instead of behind. The result is that the front end gets lowered and stretched. Not the oldest trick in the book but guys have been doing this for a VERY LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time.
IMG_20160521_222027354.jpg

Handle bars have been chosen. The are being plucked off this fairly early Roadmaster. Turns out the stem was broken and shimmed with coaster brake pads and the nut to loosen the bars is stuck. May require a little prying, but I will get it out of there one way or the other.
IMG_20160326_112627150.jpg
IMG_20160525_172425893.jpg

Looking good so far, really love the Schwinn straight bar frames.

On the early Schwinn springers the pivot point underneath the steer tube is offset behind the center of the tube. I just took the entire fork apart and reassembled with the steer tube turned around so the pivot point is now in front of the steer tube instead of behind. The result is that the front end gets lowered and stretched. Not the oldest trick in the book but guys have been doing this for a VERY LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time.
View attachment 24945

Neat trick! Filed away in my bag of tricks.... :wink1:

Back