Riverside Hoodride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My inspiration comes from something in the VW world known as a "Hoodride". They are lowered but not lowriders, ratty but not rat rods, custom but not hot rods, they are big on patina and even bigger on vintage accessories. Hard to explain exactly what they are, but I did find this definition that just about sums it up.

"A hoodride is an old vintage car that's been lowered and has original faded or worn paint. In the best case, the car will also have rust and patina. Mismatched panels, dents and missing parts enhance the look because they add more character and originality. Driving a hoodride is about making use of a car everyone else would avoid because it's "ugly" or "beyond repair" and being able to love it for what it is. It's enjoying your car because you built it the way you want, and not how everyone else thinks it should look."

If that weren't clear enough here are a few examples I plucked out of the cloud.

This is my starting pile. Should be able to make something out of this "junk" but it will depend a lot on how much I am able to get apart.

Cool theme and parts.
Looking forward to your follow up to Screaming Rabbit

I can't wait to see where this build goes!

Love it! I'm planning to build a hoodride out of my '56 oval! Do you have VW's too?
I consider myself a VW guy but don't have one at the moment. My father in law has a field where he has been growing them for years down in your neck of the woods. He offered to let us (his daughter mostly) have a heavily patina'd bay window that isn't running. Just need to get it up to the frozen tundra so I can get to slamming it to the ground.

Oh yeah, that'll make a great bike hauler too!

While I had my frame out yesterday taking pictures for opening day, I had it sitting next to my bus and took a picture. I hadn't planned to post it but couldn't resist showing it to you since your a VW guy. I hope I'm not hijacking here, just thought you'd like it!
101_0818.jpg

Anyway, looking forward to your bike!

Oh yeah, that'll make a great bike hauler too!

While I had my frame out yesterday taking pictures for opening day, I had it sitting next to my bus and took a picture. I hadn't planned to post it but couldn't resist showing it to you since your a VW guy. I hope I'm not hijacking here, just thought you'd like it!
View attachment 23172

Anyway, looking forward to your bike!

The blueprints in my head call for a faded Schwinn shop logo on the door.

Cool theme and parts.
Looking forward to your follow up to Screaming Rabbit
Thanks KF. I had a couple people reach out to me last year to say that they really liked the SR but it was just a little too far outside the box to garner a vote. This year I am going to be so far up in that box, they are going to need a doctor to.... well you get what I mean.

Thanks KF. I had a couple people reach out to me last year to say that they really liked the SR but it was just a little too far outside the box to garner a vote. This year I am going to be so far up in that box, they are going to need a doctor to.... well you get what I mean.

Don't let votes make you choose between inside or outside a box. Just build a cool bike and have fun. You certainly did that in spades last year!!!! Build on brother!

Don't let votes make you choose between inside or outside a box. Just build a cool bike and have fun. You certainly did that in spades last year!!!! Build on brother!
I'm really not worried about votes at all. In fact for me to build up a Schwinn is actually pretty outside the box for me.

Love your outside of the box style...this looks like a real cool one. Saw 2 sweet buses while walking the dog today....nice one there TRM!

Looks like I am probably going to be soaking and re-soaking for the next several days. Kind of wish I had taken it apart earlier and just "started with a frame" but in the spirit of the rules I didn't want to touch anything till the 1st. Going to be a long week of spraying, soaking, waiting and repeating. In stead of staring at the walls, I decided to throw this "station wagon" together today while the Blaster does its job.

Last edited:
I've had hoodrides my whole life and never knew it! I dig the v-dubs.

Good luck, Rg
Rg, there's a lot I never knew I liked until I joined this forum! I'm still learning what to call most of it! Hoodrides......cool.

Latest posts

Back