NOW SEEN IN FINISHED SECTION! ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Finished? ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ Done?

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Take a ride over to CT! :D It's only 5 hours away :mrgreen:

Haha I'll think about it. :mrgreen:

bike2112 said:
Can you wheelie on the double high ride? That shot of the car and bikes is priceless!

That is my shorter tall bike, it is a NO wheelie ride! The taller one has an extended wheel base and I can do bunny hops on it.

char said:
Love that trailer pic! So fun :mrgreen: Nice pick-up, that ladies Higgins looks like a nice strong bike!

Just bought the girlie Higgins for the parts, I pointed out to the seller that the frame is broken, the brazing is gone where the top tube goes into the head tube. For $40 it was just for the Thompson bottom bracket. Other parts are just a bonus.

Peatbog said:
Well, at least you got some tassles :mrgreen:

Haha, they are in nice shape too. I'm happy with my purchase. I paid $40. I REALLY need the Thompson bottom bracket and could not have gotten one cheaper than that. I have another set og 26" coaster brake wheels, the rear is a Komet. The tires do not match but they are both antiques and in sellable condition. The bars are bent, but the stem is nice. The glitter blue Hunt Wilde grips and tassles are in excellent condition. It has nice cross checkered rubber block pedals without reflectors. The rear fender reflector looks new (compared to the one on my '56). The fenders are decent. Fork is straight. Headbadge is in good condition. Seat, no thanks. Anyway, I feel like if I wanted to I could make my money back.

Maybe I should use the blue grips and tassles on my build-off bike to balance out the blue fork.

Pretty cool when you can combine vacation with picking.
Nice score on "Mata-Hari".

Peatbog said:
Put those ape hangers on that tall bike and see how many bridges you can't go under.

It crossed my mind, but I prefer living. haha

Martin's bicycle shop in Ephrata to the rescue! I am going back and taking a camera, they have a mini museum of AWESOME!

Anyway, I bought a chain, a 32 tooth sprocket, and 1 half link. I brought the 32 tooth back and put it in place of the 28 tooth and the tall bike is back in business!

This morning I put the "new" JC Higgins chain on the build off bike (plus 2 links) and it's back in business too.

The weather here is awesome.

bike2112 said:
But what about the dog?

I eventually had to get a little stern with the dog and he headed back home. Just tried out the German Spy:

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Nice picture with the model T stuff! I like the bike looks very cool, Dont about the bars thow,lol you must have freakishly long arms..

yearz said:
Nice picture with the model T stuff! I like the bike looks very cool, Dont about the bars thow,lol you must have freakishly long arms..

I'll get a riding video, my arms are normal size for my height, haha 5' 10". My friend is on the short side of 5' 7" and he could reach comfortably. Don't get me wrong though, it's just for cruising, I wouldn't wanna blast down a hill and around corners on it.

That looks like so much fun.
Someone should make a set of mega apes like that but have 5 more pairs of grips spaced every 6 inches.

kingfish254 said:
That looks like so much fun.
Someone should make a set of mega apes like that but have 5 more pairs of grips spaced every 6 inches.

I thought about putting a set of bar ends about half way down, but I wouldn't like the look of it, but a set of handles ever 6 inches might look sort of like headers...

If need be I can grab the base of the bars, that part use to be a road bar and it's good and stiff. The bars do flex some, but that adds to the adventure.

What did you use to fab those awesome bar I had to do a frame change an love your bars I was thinking of doing something similar for the new bike

big kountry said:
What did you use to fab those awesome bar I had to do a frame change an love your bars I was thinking of doing something similar for the new bike

I used a set of road bars for the base and cut them off right where they turned down. Then I used the handles off of an old cross country skiing machine for the uprights. I was going to use the rest of the road bars to make the handles (and have them turned down a bit) but the old skiing machine arms had a 90 degree bend at the top and that worked well and kept me from making more welds.

And then I got attacked by a bulldog on vacation, I knew I should've stuck with the petting zoo bunnies.
dogbite.jpg

Thanks Yoothgeye those are killer bars hope the bulldog survives the cooties poor little thing didnt know what hit her

Peatbog said:
"Dog attacks dad. Daughter Grins." More at 11.

At least my son looks a little concerned. For the record, not my dog and it hurt.

big kountry said:
Thanks Yoothgeye those are killer bars hope the bulldog survives the cooties poor little thing didnt know what hit her

Yeah, I think she'll survive.

Your daughter is thinking....."Alright, I get the Higgins!!!"

kingfish254 said:

Haha, she rolls her eyes about my bikes, but she did ride the German Spy the other day, she just held the uprights on the bars, definitely didn't reach the grips.

bike2112 said:
Thats not the same dog that followed you all over PA is it?

Nope, haha, that was a young pit. Lapp's dairy farm sells fresh dairy products and awesome ice cream and they have 3 bulldogs that wander around and I got to playing with their pup and she got me, luckily she doens't play too rough or I would've been in the ER after that hit.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Haha, she rolls her eyes about my bikes, but she did ride the German Spy the other day, she just held the uprights on the bars, definitely didn't reach the grips.

Maybe you need some grips down low too?

bike2112 said:
UUUUUH, those local dairy places that do ice cream are sublime. Bulldogs are drooling little blobs of awesomeness!

Yeah, but all I did last week was eat bread and ice cream, I doubt that 16 1/2 mile tall bike ride mattered at all.

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Maybe you need some grips down low too?

I don't wanna distract from the "simplicity."

Latest posts

Back