Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see the daredevil who'd ride that off-road! That thing is nuts!
Not quite, but close
5t5.jpg

Well. I was thinking about a full suspension Klunker and before I had to leave for work I came up with this mock-up. View attachment 255692
View attachment 255693View attachment 255694View attachment 255695View attachment 255696

i'm going to make or if I can use a second seat post clamp to secure the spring and then put a couple tack welds to keep it from coming loose. And I'll need to do something about the dropouts as well. I'll make some new pivot brackets and used either sleeved bolts or larger holes and press some bearings in. The new stays need to be cleaned up, but I like my chances of success so far.

Feel free to check out my Flexy build from Build Off 7 to help your brainstorming.

1705340250482.png

Got a question for the off road guys here: was there a reason most period klunkers used rigid forks as opposed to suspension forks? When I look at photos of klunkers from back in the '70s, most folks ran either a Schwinn-style bladed fork with truss rods or a later BMX-style tubular fork. Is there a reason people didn't use springer forks back then? I'd figure having at least an original springer fork would provide a softer ride when hitting any bumps or rocks, especially going downhill.

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of turning my Firestone Pilot into a klunker, but I'd like to keep the Shelby springer fork on it to help smooth out the bumps.
BftD_Firestone_Pilot_Rat_1.jpg

Got a question for the off road guys here: was there a reason most period klunkers used rigid forks as opposed to suspension forks? When I look at photos of klunkers from back in the '70s, most folks ran either a Schwinn-style bladed fork with truss rods or a later BMX-style tubular fork. Is there a reason people didn't use springer forks back then? I'd figure having at least an original springer fork would provide a softer ride when hitting any bumps or rocks, especially going downhill.

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of turning my Firestone Pilot into a klunker, but I'd like to keep the Shelby springer fork on it to help smooth out the bumps.
View attachment 256917
Durability I'm guessing

View attachment 256917
Springers from back then, like yours, have some flex to them. On a trail when going fast and hard, they get unstable as they have some give left and right along with up and down. The modern forks are more stable than the classic ones. They are very good on the street though.

Springers from back then, like yours, have some flex to them. On a trail when going fast and hard, they get unstable as they have some give left and right along with up and down. The modern forks are more stable than the classic ones. They are very good on the street though.
The bumps is part of the klunker experienc
Gotcha. Well, I don't plan on riding fast and hard just yet, as I'm still very new to off-road biking. I just want to build a "beginner's klunker" to help me get used to riding off-road on an old bike. I had built such a bike during the previous ORBO, but I barely rode it, partly because I never rebuilt the coaster brake hub, but mostly because I just didn't like the original red paint.

I'm not used to riding on bumpy terrain (even though Oklahoma roads almost count as such,) so having a soft springer fork might be a good way for me to get adjusted to riding on uneven gravel and dirt trails. Once I get more comfortable riding off-road, maybe then I could switch to a more rigid fork. I would use a modern suspension fork, but none of the ones I have in stock have a long-enough steerer tube to fit these older frames.

What do you think?

The springer will make for a better offroad ride, as long as you're not doing jumps or seeing how fast you can take the downhill path.
1705455669565.jpeg

If you're bottoming out the springer there are ways to adjust it for your terrain.

The springer will make for a better offroad ride, as long as you're not doing jumps or seeing how fast you can take the downhill path.
View attachment 256919
If you're bottoming out the springer there are ways to adjust it for your terrain.
No jumps for me, I'm not daring enough for that! And as long as my only means of stopping in case of an emergency is a coaster brake, I'll either take the downhill path slowly, or if it's real steep, I'll just walk the bike down.

I'll have to see how I can adjust this Shelby springer. First time I've ever messed with one. If that doesn't work, I've got a rat trap springer I could try that's much stiffer.

View attachment 256917
I would think weight, strength and handling would be issues. The old springers are heavy. I don't know how well they would hold up to serious off road riding, I think fast downhill runs could break stuff. They would also pogo on climbs. I don't think any of these factors would be an issue for a cross country ride. The springer does absorb bumps pretty nicely.
For sure.
I'll have to see how I can adjust this Shelby springer. First time I've ever messed with one. If that doesn't work, I've got a rat trap springer I could try that's much stiffer.
Experimentation will help a lot. You'll figure out what suits your ride the best. I have a couple of klunks with springer forks. I don't ride my klunkers very hard because I don't want to break them but I do ride them fast(ish) and will take small jumps and just have fun.

There were some klunkers back in the day with springers like this Crested Butte bike with a rat trap:
CB Klunk version 2.jpg

This one belongs to a Morrow Dirt Club member. This bike still exists and it looks like the spring has been modernized:
IMG_0440.jpg

Another Morrow Dirt Club bike that's still around:
Morrow Dirt Club klunker.jpg

This is my springer klunker. It's pretty fun to blast around on back roads and dirt roads. But a mountain bike it ain't. The fender is mocked up as I'm thinking of rebuilding this one into a late '50s style custom. Or maybe a low stretched custom. Who knows.
1705591349909.png

I would think weight, strength and handling would be issues. The old springers are heavy. I don't know how well they would hold up to serious off road riding, I think fast downhill runs could break stuff. They would also pogo on climbs. I don't think any of these factors would be an issue for a cross country ride. The springer does absorb bumps pretty nicely.

Experimentation will help a lot. You'll figure out what suits your ride the best. I have a couple of klunks with springer forks. I don't ride my klunkers very hard because I don't want to break them but I do ride them fast(ish) and will take small jumps and just have fun.
I get your point there, but the thing is I want to build more of an "off road cruiser" for riding on fairly level dirt and gravel trails, and not for "downhill runs and cross country rides." There are some good mountain bike trails around home, but most of them are for more experienced off road riders. I'm a beginner; I'm not used to riding off road at all.

It's like with video games; if I start playing a new game on the hardest difficulty setting meant for experienced players, I'm just going to get frustrated and stop playing after only a few minutes. But if I start a new game on the easiest setting, I can learn how to play the game at my own pace, get comfortable with it, and then try playing on a more serious setting once I have an idea of what to expect.

I know the rules say that bikes for the ORBO are supposed to be ridden "hard and fast," but I'm not ready for that level of off roading, and honestly, I'm just not that kind of guy. But if I can build a bike that allows me to adapt to riding on loose, rough terrain, I might get comfortable enough with it that I can start pushing my bike, and myself, harder than I previously thought possible.
There were some klunkers back in the day with springers like this Crested Butte bike with a rat trap:
View attachment 256982
This one belongs to a Morrow Dirt Club member. This bike still exists and it looks like the spring has been modernized:
View attachment 256983
Another Morrow Dirt Club bike that's still around:
View attachment 256984
Awesome period photos and bikes! Thanks for sharing those.
This is my springer klunker. It's pretty fun to blast around on back roads and dirt roads. But a mountain bike it ain't. The fender is mocked up as I'm thinking of rebuilding this one into a late '50s style custom. Or maybe a low stretched custom. Who knows.
View attachment 256985
Nice! See, that's more of what I want to build: an off-road cruiser. Nothing too crazy, but something I can ride on gravel and dirt trails without worry.

Nice! See, that's more of what I want to build: an off-road cruiser. Nothing too crazy, but something I can ride on gravel and dirt trails without worry.

ridden "hard and fast,"
I think you're on the right track with this bike and it's honestly most of the way there. Off road riding is really forgiving on gentler trails and you'll build confidence quickly. You'd be surprised how 'hard and fast' you can go on a bike like this. I'd recommend wearing gloves so if you do go down you won't get gravel embedded in your palms. I've learned that lesson multiple times. :21:
1705597491299.png

I would ditch the fenders, like yesterday. (Set aside for another project, of course😉). That springer looks pretty plush which might be just the ticket. The springer on my Roadmaster is really soft and plush but it rides surprisingly well and smooths out the bumps nicely. It rarely bottoms out on regular riding unless I hit a pothole or something. That seat is great, or you could do a Brooks or similar if you want something lighter. I'd be tempted to do some blackwall tires but that's just a preference thing. Same with the bars. I think it would look and ride great with some longhorns or old MX bars. The 10 speed cranks look the part and you could set it up with an old derailleur as a tensioner so you could use either chainring. Add a front derailleur or shift by hand. You could add rear gears pretty easily too, either internal or external gearing. Just add a hand brake and you're all set. I love klunkers. They are awesome bikes and can be super cheap (or not), creative and tons of fun!

Latest posts

Back