Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're on to something. Me personally, "less is more" and a simple design in the rear may compliment the front half of the frame, but there is a LOT of more creative people here so it would be interesting to hear their thoughts..............
I'm thinking the black Avalon rear end. It has the curved stays similar to the originals and since they are 26" I can probably put a bit more curve in them.

I've been thinking of doing something similar with this 24" 54 Hawthorne. Both rear stays are banged up and I'm already going to have to re-weld the back of lower bar, and I want to place the top bar up about 1.5 inches. Looks like it was brazed on off spec. To me. Just deciding if I want to put 26" rear stays on it to lengthen it a bit more so I can fit my big self on it or 24" stays. I've got 3 26" single spring frames I can use. (All similar to the black Avalon in pic 2). And 1 24" that the top and bottom stays articulate. And 1 24" single rear section. View attachment 255668
View attachment 255670
View attachment 255669
It's aloud and either class tire size is the deciding factor

Well. I was thinking about a full suspension Klunker and before I had to leave for work I came up with this mock-up.
IMG_20240104_093732610.jpg

IMG_20240104_095112235.jpg
IMG_20240104_093950040.jpg
IMG_20240104_094004003~2.jpg
IMG_20240104_093957521.jpg

i'm going to make or if I can use a second seat post clamp to secure the spring and then put a couple tack welds to keep it from coming loose. And I'll need to do something about the dropouts as well. I'll make some new pivot brackets and used either sleeved bolts or larger holes and press some bearings in. The new stays need to be cleaned up, but I like my chances of success so far.

I've been thinking of doing something similar with this 24" 54 Hawthorne. Both rear stays are banged up and I'm already going to have to re-weld the back of lower bar, and I want to place the top bar up about 1.5 inches. Looks like it was brazed on off spec. To me. Just deciding if I want to put 26" rear stays on it to lengthen it a bit more so I can fit my big self on it or 24" stays. I've got 3 26" single spring frames I can use. (All similar to the black Avalon in pic 2). And 1 24" that the top and bottom stays articulate. And 1 24" single rear section. View attachment 255668
View attachment 255670
View attachment 255669
View attachment 255670
View attachment 255669
ya i have a super cycle i was going to use but i started a purge in my green house and shop ............................ its going to take awhile already two dumps to the metal place

Well. I was thinking about a full suspension Klunker and before I had to leave for work I came up with this mock-up. View attachment 255692
View attachment 255693View attachment 255694View attachment 255695View attachment 255696

i'm going to make or if I can use a second seat post clamp to secure the spring and then put a couple tack welds to keep it from coming loose. And I'll need to do something about the dropouts as well. I'll make some new pivot brackets and used either sleeved bolts or larger holes and press some bearings in. The new stays need to be cleaned up, but I like my chances of success so far.
Holy CroMoly that is a sweet mock up!

Maybe you can utilize a ball-head (spherical?) bearing on the top of the shock to accommodate the movement of the shock when its 'shocking'.

And you could cut off the dropouts and use a sliding or spherical bearing there too.

Anyway, sweet ideas Ed!

Well. I was thinking about a full suspension Klunker and before I had to leave for work I came up with this mock-up. View attachment 255692
View attachment 255693View attachment 255694View attachment 255695View attachment 255696

giphy.gif

So I've got it down to two frames to choose from and I will go with geared, you can see the deep v araya's which are not from this bike
20240107_144821.jpg
20240107_144704.jpg
which ever I choose will be stripped and parts changed, both are Avanti, which is/was a New Zealand brand

I have no intentions of entering either the SWBO or the ORBO this time, but it feels like some outside force is trying to push me in. :ninja:

I have a connection at the landfill that occasionally pulls bikes out for me as they come in. This week he let me know that he had a couple for me and this was the result:

IMG_6572.JPG

One Skinny...
IMG_6573.JPG

and one Off-Road.
IMG_6574.JPG

I think he is trying to tell me something. :21: But it's going to take more than that. Nice try though!

I have no intentions of entering either the SWBO or the ORBO this time, but it feels like some outside force is trying to push me in. :ninja:

I have a connection at the landfill that occasionally pulls bikes out for me as they come in. This week he let me know that he had a couple for me and this was the result:

View attachment 255988

One Skinny...
View attachment 255984

and one Off-Road.
View attachment 255985

I think he is trying to tell me something. :21: But it's going to take more than that. Nice try though!

It seems like fate.

View attachment 255988

One Skinny...
View attachment 255984

and one Off-Road.
View attachment 255985

The landfills in that part of the state are way cooler than the ones around here…

Back