Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problemo. I don't have anything ready to build at the moment, so I think for now, I'll be playing the roles of researcher, design consultant, and of course cheerleader. I might even hand out an award if anyone can throw together a skinny bike that I like better than the off road builds.

Last edited:
No problemo. I don't have anything ready to build at the moment, so I think for now, I'll be playing the roles of researcher, design consultant, and of course cheerleader. I might even hand out an award if anyone can throw together a skinny bike that I like better than the off road builds.
Name your poison.....how about a skinny bike with off road tires like Ritcheys ;)

20240101_105459[1].jpg

Getting warmed up trying to finish deep clean/polish/protect a pile of stuff to ready for assembly.....View attachment 255418

Gonna try to finish prep today but it might get too nice outside this afternoon. May have to go for a ride....🤷‍♂️
Better start a thread because all we have is SWBO so far

🤐🤣

I'll sit this one out and watch and cheer from the sidelines. I'm just not in the mood to build bikes at this time of the year even though I still have the parts stash for the Skinny'matic laying around on the campground. But I really need the time on the campground to get into the mood of creative wrenching.
And besides that I have some adjustments on the Wolverine to make and another bike needs a complete service on the stuck three speed hub. So enough to do...

But be aware:
1704129546766.gif

I'll sit this one out and watch and cheer from the sidelines. I'm just not in the mood to build bikes at this time of the year even though I still have the parts stash for the Skinny'matic laying around on the campground. But I really need the time on the campground to get into the mood of creative wrenching.
And besides that I have some adjustments on the Wolverine to make and another bike needs a complete service on the stuck three speed hub. So enough to do...

But be aware:
View attachment 255436
What kind of three speed I can probably walk you through it

Hhhhmmmm I think I'm in on the skinny build, I've been building up a lot of road bike parts and scored some road frames and bikes over the last few months, my issue will be what style to build, im in the enviable position to build ss,fixed or geared, alloy or steel frame with either steel alloy or carbon forks and modern or go back to at least 70's Era and any style look, it will come down to what frame I choose, I would lean towards a fast street racer look, I have a sexy pair of old deep V rim araya's that would be a very desirable choice to which possibly everything else will be built around...possibly

What kind of three speed I can probably walk you through it
All good here. It's the same kind of Torpedo you got from me. I have a manual and I already did single speed Torpedos. I just have to get over my laziness... 😜

Better start a thread because all we have is SWBO so far

🤐🤣

Not for this one. Just something I picked/mocked up this summer for another option for pump track. Thinking about SWBO project & if my other MTB for pump track qualifies for the ORBO. Been putting that one off for a while to ride instead. Or come up with something else. This is also a warm up to get me back in the building mentality & motivation for a build off.......
IMG_20240101_160054580.jpg
IMG_20240101_160237524.jpg
IMG_20240101_155603995.jpg

^is there an emojI for that feeling you get when you have to figure out if a QR lever is better than your entire fleet?

You're funny!!! :rofl:

Sadly the matching rear went missing. They were attached to White Industries hubs/Mavic 517 rims/DT Revolution DB spokes on my race hardtail. Took the rear wheel to LBS in Denver for new sealed bearings & never seen again. Still have the front wheel & wanted to use the QR on this for a while during the test. If this thing works out like I anticipate, it will get upgrades. (Disc wheels/brakes, lop off canti brake mounts, touch up rough paint areas, Redline Flight cranks....)

i want to hack the back of a monark frame off and putting a rear suspension on it from a old full suspension super cycle is this allowed and what catagory would it be
I've been thinking of doing something similar with this 24" 54 Hawthorne. Both rear stays are banged up and I'm already going to have to re-weld the back of lower bar, and I want to place the top bar up about 1.5 inches. Looks like it was brazed on off spec. To me. Just deciding if I want to put 26" rear stays on it to lengthen it a bit more so I can fit my big self on it or 24" stays. I've got 3 26" single spring frames I can use. (All similar to the black Avalon in pic 2). And 1 24" that the top and bottom stays articulate. And 1 24" single rear section.
IMG_20231108_104553931~2.jpg

IMG_20231027_200139743~2.jpg

IMG_20230811_191241784.jpg

I think you're on to something. Me personally, "less is more" and a simple design in the rear may compliment the front half of the frame, but there is a LOT of more creative people here so it would be interesting to hear their thoughts..............

I think you're on to something. Me personally, "less is more" and a simple design in the rear may compliment the front half of the frame, but there is a LOT of more creative people here so it would be interesting to hear their thoughts..............
I was considering something like this as well. Just the back half). And I'd want a less straight line design but I'd have to build from scratch. It's a back burner idea for now. I've got a half dozen builds bumping around in my melon I'd like to do.
Screenshot_20231208-035715~3.png

Latest posts

Back