My cafe racer build so far

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought a 1973 Honda cl175 and decided to turn it into a cafe racer. I have a bunch done so far , but still a long way to go. Got my pipes back from the chrome shop , the seat is being mailed so its only 4 or 5 days away. It will be orange like the headlight.

Before
DSCF0001-49.jpg

So far
DSCF0001-63.jpg

DSCF0004-22.jpg

Glad everybody likes it so far. Clancy that was funny.
Bicycleguy I'm going to use the drag bars. Its gotten kinda expensive, so I need to save a little. Those clip ons aren't cheap and they would be in about the same place anyway. Its a fun project.

So I guess the other scooter is collecting dust now. :mrgreen:

Are there chrome accents that end up going back on the new tank?

You know you've made me happy with how clean that thing is....it looks awesome! :D

It has two big chrome covers that fit on each side. I really don't like them. I will cut off the parts that would normally hold them on and fill in the dips with bondo. Then paint the tank orange. Yeah its pretty clean because most of the stuff is new parts, or hours spent polishing.
My other scooter is just sitting till this one is done. Got to break an egg to make an omelet. Or maybe a man is only good for one project at a time. Some kind of old saying fits. :D

Cafe racers look cool but those seats don't look very comfy. But I like where you are going with this build.

And for those like me who didn't know the background behind Cafe Racers....

A café racer is a type of motorcycle as well as a type of motorcyclist. Both meanings have their roots in the 1960s British counterculture group the Rockers, or the Ton-up boys, although they were also common in Italy, Germany, and other European countries. In Italy, the term refers to the specific motorcycles that were and are used for short, sharp speed trips from one coffee bar to another.[1]

Rockers were a young and rebellious Rock and Roll counterculture that wanted a fast, personalized and distinctive bike to travel between transport cafés along the newly built arterial motorways in and around British towns and cities. The goal of many was to be able to reach 100 miles per hour (160 km/h)—called simply "the ton"—along such a route where the rider would leave from a cafe, race to a predetermined point and back to the cafe before a single song could play on the jukebox, called record-racing. They are remembered as being especially fond of Rockabilly music and their image is now embedded in today's rockabilly culture.

A classic example of this was to race from the Ace Cafe on The North Circular road in north west London to the Hanger Lane junction as it then was—it is now the more famous Hanger Lane Gyratory System—and back again. The aim was to get back to the Ace Cafe before the record on the jukebox had finished. Given that some of the Eddie Cochran tunes that were in vogue at this time were less than two minutes long, the racers had to make the three-mile round trip at extremely high speed.

Yeah Clancy I don't think they are suppose to be comfortable. They are made so you can slide from side to side through the curves. Mine will be just for looks. Doubt if I will be doing any sliding on a 175 cc.
Steve that one site was cool. These guys go to no ends to make them handle and look cool. They spend as much as any choppers. Its a kinda cool look. So minimalist is what attracts me. Plus I love to design stuff and have my own ideas on how to do things.

Thanks Skipton. Ok I had a friend fix the bondo work I can't do. He did a good job and did it right then. I like quick service. This morning I wet sanded the primer and shot a few coats of the orange on. With the exception of a few nats that decided to be in my paint forever, it came out good. I will wait a week or so and compound out my unwelcome guests and it should be nice and shiny.

DSCF0001-68.jpg

DSCF0002-53.jpg

Back