(MMBO #4 Class 1) - Monstaah's Madness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without actually knurling them you could try Emory cloth or neoprene tape. I've read on motorcycle forums that people have done both.
Might be able to use a strip of leather,or a bit of aluminum can. Not sure how well aluminum would work tho.

Looks to me like its already in the paint booth...

Carl.

Without actually knurling them you could try Emory cloth or neoprene tape. I've read on motorcycle forums that people have done both.
Might be able to use a strip of leather,or a bit of aluminum can. Not sure how well aluminum would work tho.
sounds good to me mate, will have to try something I know that for sure so appreciate the advice...

Looks to me like its already in the paint booth...

Carl.
yeah was just so I could get some photos up here.. actually got some primer on now while I've been wrestling with the colour for it, really want an od green and it's proved difficult to find in my neck of the woods, hopefully I've found what I'm looking for now. will find out t'row when it gets some colour..

There are hand knurlers as well,but I don't know how easy they are to find either.That may be what's in the vid you posted,school WiFi is a bit slow today.

We used cans as kids but I don't remember them working so good or it may have been the fact that we would jump our bikes off of whatever we could. That probably wasn't so good for them. Ahh back when kids could play outside.

We used cans as kids but I don't remember them working so good or it may have been the fact that we would jump our bikes off of whatever we could. That probably wasn't so good for them. Ahh back when kids could play outside.
aaah yeah them good ol' days eh :happy: I've had no joy today asking around a few workshops either and got some strange looks in a couple as well, will just soldier on and work it out when the time comes.. todays progress is pretty lax but looks like i'll get some colour on the frame t'row after a thorough wipe down.. waiting is sometimes hard :headbang:

I have run a pattern of centrepunch marks around bars in the past to add grip to them, that may work in your case?

Luke.

been wrestling with that idea, might as well throw it in the mix if I have to go the homemade route.. your actually trying to just get some deformation like that aren't ya Luke?

been wrestling with that idea, might as well throw it in the mix if I have to go the homemade route.. your actually trying to just get some deformation like that aren't ya Luke?
Because it pushes the centre point in, it actually raises a circular ring around the point, if you mark out a nice pattern beforehand with say 5mm between the punch points you can get something that works very similar to knurling and looks pretty good too...

Luke.

Thank you mate, thank you..:thumbsup:
No worries!

We used to do it all the time with industrial washing machines that the bearings had locked up on and spun on the shaft wearing the shaft down a bit... A few minutes with a centre punch and some Locktite got them going again before the next shift started...

It was always used as a "Temporary" repair, but the money men would not fork out for a new shaft, so they usually stayed that way and next time the bearings needed replacing 5 or 10 years down the track we would just do the same thing again... :smug:

Luke.

No worries!

We used to do it all the time with industrial washing machines that the bearings had locked up on and spun on the shaft wearing the shaft down a bit... A few minutes with a centre punch and some Locktite got them going again before the next shift started...

It was always used as a "Temporary" repair, but the money men would not fork out for a new shaft, so they usually stayed that way and next time the bearings needed replacing 5 or 10 years down the track we would just do the same thing again... :smug:

Luke.
Timing plates on old outboards, same thing, they wear loose. Punch the shafts till the plate sits tight. Its a stop-gap measure, but on a lot of machines, it allows another year or three.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back