(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the light just needs to be lower:

View attachment 38466

Luke.
If single light, go for low center and big, if double, go for the axle position and stick with the lights you have.

Edit:
One of my personal favorites is this Bosch headlight:
mO69YNLVWVOgmAU64t9Tvvg.jpg

I have it on three of my bikes. And twice on the axle position.. ;-)
file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Both mounted on the axle is kinda cool, wonder how well they light your way that low...
The light from the low position is surprisingly good (and you don't blind oncoming traffic). I use it on my daily (the black one) and never had any problems with it, even on rough roads or in winter.

Font tire ok as is to me. Double or triple lights[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thinking one large over size light to balance it out . Maybe you could make one out of something like a large funnel or antique spot light like this . I'm sure you can figure it out
48702a5ae0f6db090128bb5afd78c0d5.jpg

Personally i think a basic store bought light looks out of place . Kinda like titis on a Bore . With all the LED stuff out there you can figure it out I'm sure . Also with the big compartment it will be easy to hide a battery or two . & that's my 2 cents talk is cheep . [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

one on top of each other maybe ?

what you mean by ''cutting the backing discs'' ?

Good progress! , can't wait to see this thing shine:nod:
you can basically cut it down to : Paint/polishing/tuning :113:

Both mounted on the axle is kinda cool, wonder how well they light your way that low...
If single light, go for low center and big, if double, go for the axle position and stick with the lights you have.

Edit:
One of my personal favorites is this Bosch headlight:
mO69YNLVWVOgmAU64t9Tvvg.jpg

I have it on three of my bikes. And twice on the axle position.. ;-)
file.php

file.php
Font tire ok as is to me. Double or triple lights[emoji106]
one on top of each other maybe ?
Good progress! , can't wait to see this thing shine:nod:
you can basically cut it down to : Paint/polishing/tuning :113:
I like he axles or lower mount both flow better...
How about on the BB :13::giggle:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I thought about a bb mount 1HP, but the front tire would block everything and mounting the lights off to the side to clear the tire would put them in the way of the cranks.
I'm kinda into the axle mounts, but I'm also a bit surprised you don't have an old motorcycle headlight in your stash.
Turns out I do!

2016-11-16 18.44.40.jpg
2016-11-16 18.44.55.jpg

I spent some time on a mount for it, and then tried it:

2016-11-16 18.45.12.jpg

Hmmm, not liking that! It might look better lower or in a different spot, but I am running out of time and wanted to try the Hatsune pair:

2016-11-16 18.45.30.jpg
2016-11-16 18.45.46.jpg

That looks good!

Of course there was one more option to try:

2016-11-16 18.46.02.jpg
2016-11-16 18.46.20.jpg

:21: I may do that yet!

Either way, I am going to stick with them for this build, whatever way I mount them can be decided after paint.

The light from the low position is surprisingly good (and you don't blind oncoming traffic). I use it on my daily (the black one) and never had any problems with it, even on rough roads or in winter.
Good to know, thanks! :thumbsup:
what you mean by ''cutting the backing discs'' ?
I'll answer for Luke cause he's not here yet...
Backing disks for the backsides of the rear rims
Also only reason I know it's backers for the rims, is its Luke and only Luke would feel the need to go to such lengths...:crazy2::crazy2:
That's what makes a Luke build exactly that.
:113: Yep, just covers for the back of the rear rims, basically plain black discs that bolt on to the spokes just to give it a full finished look.

And guys take it easy on big lights or Luke will pull out his truck light again like his first build..
I thought about it... :grin:

Any way after deciding on the lights, moved on to cleaning the parts in preparation for paint and found an issue that I had missed, turns out that the bottom bracket was on backwards!

2016-11-01 18.41.12.jpg

Note that the adjustable cone is on the wrong side!

So cut the adjuster bolt tube off it and welded it on the other side, glad I had some welding gas left, forgot to get pics though...

The neighbours were harvesting the paddocks around our place today, so there was lots of dust in the air, so no paint yet, but everything is pretty much ready, all hung and sanded, but not final cleaned:

2016-11-16 18.46.35.jpg

Will wipe down with Prepsol on the day of painting, whenever that ends up being.
Stay tuned!

Luke.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I thought about a bb mount 1HP, but the front tire would block everything and mounting the lights off to the side to clear the tire would put them in the way of the cranks.

Turns out I do!

View attachment 38567 View attachment 38566

I spent some time on a mount for it, and then tried it:

View attachment 38565

Hmmm, not liking that! It might look better lower or in a different spot, but I am running out of time and wanted to try the Hatsune pair:

View attachment 38564 View attachment 38563

That looks good!

Of course there was one more option to try:

View attachment 38562 View attachment 38561

:21: I may do that yet!

Either way, I am going to stick with them for this build, whatever way I mount them can be decided after paint.

Good to know, thanks! :thumbsup:

:113: Yep, just covers for the back of the rear rims, basically plain black discs that bolt on to the spokes just to give it a full finished look.

I thought about it... :grin:

Any way after deciding on the lights, moved on to cleaning the parts in preparation for paint and found an issue that I had missed, turns out that the bottom bracket was on backwards!

View attachment 38568

Note that the adjustable cone is on the wrong side!

So cut the adjuster bolt tube off it and welded it on the other side, glad I had some welding gas left, forgot to get pics though...

The neighbours were harvesting the paddocks around our place today, so there was lots of dust in the air, so no paint yet, but everything is pretty much ready, all hung and sanded, but not final cleaned:

View attachment 38560

Will wipe down with Prepsol on the day of painting, whenever that ends up being.
Stay tuned!

Luke.
You know someone has shot heavy flake when desided best mask out cup seats..
Looking awsome, so close

You know someone has shot heavy flake when desided best mask out cup seats..
Looking awsome, so close
:21: Yep! :thumbsup:

Rolling up some cardboard at sitting it in there does a nice job of masking and it is easy, so much easier than trying to clear threads afterwards!

Luke.

May I suggest looking into nylon or tefoln all thread.
Your super welcome.
Cheap enough to be disposable. Paint no like sticky... I run a razor around the bolt where I want a nice edge. The sell bolts and washers as well for mating surfaces or paint edge to hardware... Heavy millage likes stay soft and not seat correctly.

Maybe the light just needs to be lower:

View attachment 38466

Luke.
I like the light placement lower like in this last pic. Still think a big ol' light, tractor light, something along those lines would look awesome on this. Something about the double headlight doesn't fit the 'point' that the front end brings your eye to...
do you have craigslist in Australia? Somebody local might have a light laying around.

May I suggest looking into nylon or tefoln all thread.
Your super welcome.
Cheap enough to be disposable. Paint no like sticky... I run a razor around the bolt where I want a nice edge. The sell bolts and washers as well for mating surfaces or paint edge to hardware... Heavy millage likes stay soft and not seat correctly.
Good tip!
I like the light placement lower like in this last pic. Still think a big ol' light, tractor light, something along those lines would look awesome on this. Something about the double headlight doesn't fit the 'point' that the front end brings your eye to...
do you have craigslist in Australia? Somebody local might have a light laying around.
Time is against me on this build, I am just going to have to run with what I have.
I think the lights down at the axle keep the frame flow nice, will probably end up just going with that.
Argh! Looks like you're going to beat me to paint... Looking good bro.

Carl.
Maybe?
Depends on weather, health, farmers and their harvesting, motivation...
You might beat me yet!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back