Mad Wagon AKA......Cycle Flyer Transporter ITS DONE 6/9/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So first off I don't want to offend karfer but I am stealing a lot his ideas and taking his Ratty Truck a little further. I bought this frame about 6 years ago off of e-bay to restore, but it wasn't represented correctly, and some one at some point did a franken-patch repair to the seat post. So it hung in the shed, then I came accross this site about two months ago and and found one of the coolest bikes I had seen The Ratty Truck. I decided to join this build and take his idea and take it a bit further. (It is going to seen that this bike was all ready built,((since I have a bunch of pics and the bike is almost done)) but I have been have issues accessing photobucket due to a defective router and I promise this bike was started after May 4 and to this day it is still not done!) I too am starting out with a prewar Schwinn Cycle Truck Frame, mine was in primer and had rust pocks in the metal, I only had the Frame so I added the Chopper Triple Tree Fork which means like Karfer I had to cut the basket support plate down I also cut the steer tube down 1/2" to allow the fork bolt to screw on to.

Fame after Rattle canning(used $0.97 Home Depot Quick Color)

Frameafterpaint.jpg

Cut off Basket Supports

cutfronttabs.jpg

Franken-patch Bottom Bracket repair

BottomBracket.jpg

Re: Cycle Flyer Transporter ...AKA Psycho Truck

Frameafterpaint.jpg

cutfronttabs.jpg

BottomBracket.jpg

well what can i say i am flattered. if anything you know it is a proven setup so go for it. i wanna see what u do with the bars :mrgreen: and to post the pics when you type the IMG do it like this img :D

Karfer I do have the bike almost done, as you'll see in the next couple of days, The bars are the one thing I cannot figure out. I had a straight drag bar on it, and crazy apehanger, however since the cycle truck is a short frame I can't use anything that comes back too far, or else my knees will be hitting them. Btw Karfer thanks in advance for your ideas and sorting out and posting some of the issues you had with your build. I have run into pretty much everything you did including the front tire clearance, because like you I cut the fork for 20 x 2.125 tire and then decided to go a 3"

So my rims are both Murray of Ohio rims, Single Speed Bendex Red Band, now a Orange Band. These pics are of the rims being rebuilt after paint

OrangeRear1.jpg

OrangeRear2.jpg

OrangeFront.jpg

Bike in mock up, I was going to use Nirve ...... white walls but ended up using Electra Fatti-O Blackwalls, since I could not locate a 20 x 3 to match.

Fittingtogether.jpg

Yes the chain Ring is huge!! Off a 70's Schwinn Excerise Bike 65 tooth!!!

nice wheels!

the 20x3 tire is avalible i just cant remember what vendor carries them. i will check it out but i dont think they make a whitewall version so you would have to paint on a whitewall if you wanted to go that route. i shaved a 1/4 inch deep pocket in the lower fork crown to clear the 20x3 the most important thing to remember is to only take off the min needed so you dont have a huge gaping cut in the bottom. just take a little off, mount the wheel in the fork spin it, take a little more off ect..... till it is perfect. then when your buddies see it they will not believe that it actually clears the tire :mrgreen:

I didn't have a signboard so I made one out of pre-finished 1/4" plywood and sprayed painted it black,

Sign2.jpg

NOS Cycle Flyer Transport Co Headbadge and Fork Legs

Badge1.jpg

Sign board with lettering on the bike

Sign3.jpg

1951 Brooks B66 Seat I stole off my 1951 Raleigh

Brooks.jpg

The bike assembled for the first ride, I liked the look of the big Apes but it sucked to ride so as of right now the bike is barless!

beforefirstroadtest.jpg

Close up of the wood platform I made for the bike

Flatbed2.jpg

Flatbed.jpg

So I still have to

1) Mount and power the headlight

2) Mount the Tail light

3) Stem/Handlebars

4) Finsh the Basket/Platform

5)Find some cooler pedels

But then the bike is done!!

man thats cool!

I like Karfer's truck a lot, but I love that you got the triple tree front end and kept a rack, that looks fantastic.

If you need a spare set of wheels I have some super heavy duty ones I just pulled off my Ross cycle truck

Re: Cycle Flyer Transporter Tail light Fab is done

Spent 2 and half days on this light and now need to figure out how to mount it to the frame. I Started with a reflector I got on the first Cruiser I ever bought. I wish I had left it rusty but I sandblasted it with the bike. I Bent some copper plate and used smash rivets for the seams down the side, the back is a 2" copper pipe end cap which is soldered inside the Housing. I wired each lens with two L.E.D.'s and used a through bolt to hold the original besel to the new housing.

Picture from 2002 of the refector when I first got it.

FireBallTailLight.jpg

As it is now

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Turned on

IMG_0257.jpg

Back