FUNNY CONVO WITH "THAT GUY" ABOUT FORMING BIKE CREWS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no worries at all. i saw we message Rat Rod and have him organize a Rat Rod bike crew day. i mean think about it...We all build bike for the build of on a certain day, so why can't we do the same thing for a bike ride and collect ride photos!?!?!?!?

petition starts now!

I like your style man, count me officially in.

I messaged Rat Rod and he likes the idea of the local chapters on the shirts and he likes the idea of a ride day, but hes gonna have to kick them around a while.

Before yall get going too far with this concept....I said it was good for the old idea hopper.

The last thing I need right now is more work...ha ha. :lol:

It would be something that the leadership of the site would have to discuss and make decisions on when the time comes.

I'd suggest getting a local ride together for you and your friends first to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the enthusiasm though! :D

i think more planning is necessary
it wud b well cool, different people, different timezones, the world wont know whats goin on.
if we all cycled well hard we might even change the direction of the world, hopefuly angle it on a collision course with peace and stability (sorry)

yeah man right on, planning is paramount. I think with the right about of planning and patience, this could really turn into something cool and unique. Hey RatRod, I know what you mean about more work, everytime I finish a project, I get talked into three more. Hope winter is long this year man. Even thinking about passing some frame strippng off to another guy that needs something to do(lazy). Ha, but evrybody should get together with their comrades and get a ride going as a warm up to what will hopefully be a international ride day.

No way dude, there is a time for planning, like when you are waiting for the pb blaster to work. :mrgreen: I found two new projects to go and pick up, and maybe just maybe they will all be done before spring. yeah right :D

Well, if we want make it a special day we should pick someone's birthday. So "Ratrod" when is your birthday?
Actually, I was thinking of Sheldon Brown's birthday of July 14th or Feb 3rd when he passed away. Any other "Great 2 Wheel Hero's" we should celebrate?
And should we start a new topic on this mater?

i really like the idea of having patches showing where your from or patches from the bike club your a member of. that would be really neat-o

Easy E

It's interesting how fixie riders are seen or act in different places. I hang out with a bunch of fixie riders here in Montreal and I have a great time with them. We soon came to realize that we both do the same thing basically, that is finding vintage iron and giving it a second life. I've seen a lot of road bikes, from garbage to classic vintage stuff, being reborn with a mix of old and new parts into fixies and one speed coaster jobs. The results are amazing and the guys and gals riding them have a proper rat attitude. So I guess it boils down to that, attitude. I must be lucky being where I am. :)

chief10beers said:
well. i guess i should put my 2 cents in..."rat rod" bikes, and the like, are dumb, when it comes to people wanting to form "krews". think about it: do you really have that much of an urge to band together under the flag of "neo-rockabilly" "kustom Kar Kulture"? sure, be into it! live your life for building whatever you like- fixies, rat rods, orange krates...who cares?! "if you build it, they will come." right? why reach out and try to force something that will only really have any worth if it naturally forms itself?
make fun all you want- i wear my heart on my sleeve. you can't hurt me...but know this: it won't last. your whole Kustom Kulture is a FAD. its the same with the fixies, too: a FAD. and if you really read my email you'd know that what i was saying was SKREW THE FAD!

the CHIEF 10 BEERS

Fixed gear is over 100 years, not a fad, a resurgence. Those hipsters glommin' on may be a fad, and the fixed gear freestyle may be a fad or a distraction for older skaters and BMXers, but riding fixed is as old as the safety bicycle, it's the first chain drive bicycle hub. Scorchers, Path Racers, Tour De France before Campagnolo made derailleurs, and of course the Velodrome.

Hot rods, Rockabilly, kustom bikes? 30's, 40's, 50's respectively. Once again, a resurgence. Everyone knows rockabilly is the Punk/Oi! retirement home.

Artists like Von Franco and Robert Williams were there in or near the beginning and they are still at it. The recently found Ed Roth Orbitron was restored,painted, and upholstered by the same guys who originally did the work. That means Kustom Kulture is a "fad" that has lasted 44 years. Maybe if all you see is the surface or what is presented in Old Skool Rodz it appears as a fad but if you are into it...

Step into it a little, and keep an open mind.

I'm not a fixie rider myself, but I see that things tend to evolve in circles. A fixie is the purest form of cycling and I find something very soothing and beautiful in that. My fellow fixers agree with me as well. Hot Rod culture has been around for the last 60 years and in my opinion what happens is that a segment of the culture gets a front row seat every so many years.

Just to emphasize skidmark's point, here's a fixie bike messenger from the Vintage image thread:
03935u.jpg

This has just hit me, did you guys notice the padlock on the seat? I saw a pic in the Bike Gallery of a member who uses a padlock on the chainring and he was debating on if this was period correct. I guess this could be the ancestor of the U-Lock. :) Sorry for being off topic.

Back