FUNNY CONVO WITH "THAT GUY" ABOUT FORMING BIKE CREWS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Not too bad of language, but an un-friendly convo via email with "THAT GUY" stating his thoughts on "crews" in response to a craigslist ad I put out there looking for guys to ride with. Also i was emailing from my phone so don't expect the best gramar and puncuation!

START

Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 10:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: crews and what-not

so you don't like frat boy posers, or fixie posers...ect...? i can totally dig that. but what am i to think about all of the stretch-neo rockabilly wann'a be jessie james posers? should the "kreepers" all get the same "NOR CAL" tattoo? do we all have to shout the words to rat fink by the misfits and the monthly bbq/beerpong debacle?
ok, so you think your legit, O.G., what have you, but i must say, oh dear ruler of the only true krew out there, that you are a poser also. crews...who needs 'em? seriously. frat boys, fixers, neo's on stretches, 50 year olds on $2000 carbon bikes with stupid helmets, do you see where i'm going here? goths on little pink tricycles, homeless dudes towing shopping carts...crews. lemming mentality. in other words: WHO CARES? you all suck. i ride alone because there isn't anybody worthy to ride with me. good luck, POSER.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: crews and what-not
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:10:22 -0800

Funny how 95% of what you say in no way pertains to me...nor cal tattoos...come on...rockabilly...nah...jesse james...is that the dude that yells at his sons all the time with the mustache?...rat fink by the misfits...is that on the radio?..what i was about was just dues getting together and having a good time, not opressing others as the for mentioned crews and yourself have done..you dont join crews since none would have you...you sir are a true mesiah of being tru to ones self. i salute you. keep tuff big guy lone wolf joe cool. Keep the sand out your ......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 11:33 AM

i sewed my ..... up tight years ago

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:48:05 -0800

Well someone should tell yur mouth..this is about people getting together and having fun..not about "neo billy stretch riders" if fixy guys build a rat or stretch or cruiser and wanna ride with us...go for it...same with fixies roadies lil kids on scooters...its about support and fun not about a trend or looking cool...just relax

Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 11:50 AM

yeah yeah yeah...i heared you twice the 1st time. your bovine, just deal with it.

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:14:44 -0800

Ha ha ha go listen to slipknot and drive your juggalo clad 4 banger and fight the power kid.

NO MORE RESPONSES AFTER THAT

HERES THE C.L. POSTING

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/936435321.html.

(DISCLAIMER: Theres an issue with road bike and fixed gear riders here in midtown Sacramento being total jerks and all around pains. I try not to generalize an opinon for everyone)

LMK if you ever get a group together. I'm right next to downtown (W. Sac/Broderick) and would ride over.

man, what a jerk,hahahah it's so easy to stand on the sidelines and player hate. ooops I meat playa hate sorry.lol The Kreeps sound cool ma, too bad I live in tejas.

zoso said:
LMK if you ever get a group together. I'm right next to downtown (W. Sac/Broderick) and would ride over.

for sure man! i mean i figure since the hooligans are already pretty tight knit, it would be fun to form a brotherhood. ill keep you informed...so far no one else has stated an interest. last time i posted it, i got a flood of emails, but no follow through.

ha ha thanks BENZ. yeah the guy tried to "bully" me on myspace, and by the looks of his profile he seemed to have described himself better than he described me. start a texas kreeps and we can do meet ups in AZ. ha ha

Well, you did start your CL post by trashing three other cycling groups. A reply in kind should be expected.

I'll admit I'm no fan of the fixed gear group here in downtown Cleveland. They're very condescending, exclusive, and completely ignorant of Northern Ohio's remarkable heritage during the balloon tire bike era. An era which, no pun intended, is a major a spoke in the wheel of bicycle history which brings them and us to where we all are today. I've personally encountered the local fixie crowd's elitism, and unfortunately, at the time I let it get the best of me. But I haven't given up on them.

We're rats. We take anything from everything and somehow always seem to make it the best. We should embrace other groups considering what they can teach us, and what we can teach them. Look at how BMXr's have recently expanded this forum, and how appreciation for BMX bikes has increased in the eyes of the early RRB members. Now BMXr's are building cruisers and rats while RRB cruiser/rat rod enthusiasts are building BMX bikes. Of course there's plenty of bikes in between the two genres that have been created, and many RRB members have already built fixed gear bikes. You made a reference to a more inclusive theme in the follow up reply to the guy's email, but perhaps that idea and that overall tone should have been in the original post.

Rat rods are the ultimate melting pot. Let's embrace it.

hahahaaha.......that beer guys funny. i thought a "krew" or a "club" was about everyone with the same taste or style hanging together???? you don't see toyota's going to vw cruises do you? (just for the ride) soooo wasn't praise the lowered just sending an invitation out to people of the same taste and letting the people who don't know it's sorta not a thing for them? maybe. just a little? well, thats the vibe i got! and sorry but whats a "neo" on a stretch bike? did he just call us a bad name?

on the other hand the only thing i agree with that beer guy was this.....

"50 year olds on $2000 carbon bikes with stupid helmets"

now thats funny!

Keoki_D said:
hahahaaha.......that beer guys funny. i thought a "krew" or a "club" was about everyone with the same taste or style hanging together???? you don't see toyota's going to vw cruises do you? (just for the ride) soooo wasn't praise the lowered just sending an invitation out to people of the same taste and letting the people who don't know it's sorta not a thing for them? maybe. just a little? well, thats the vibe i got! and sorry but whats a "neo" on a stretch bike? did he just call us a bad name?

on the other hand the only thing i agree with that beer guy was this.....

"50 year olds on $2000 carbon bikes with stupid helmets"

now thats funny!

Look up his myspace. http://www.myspace.com/chief10beers . He looks more like what he descridbed than I do!!!!

hey dude, I will start up the texas chapter of The Kreeps this very minute I am forming a crew as we speak, just needed a name. Meet up in az, desert ride anyone?

Hope all goes well with forming a club. Me and rusty513 formed "ratriders" here in cincy with much success. We pretty much made it clear that we only want old cruisers and musclebikes and have not had any fuss from the local roadies and fixies. We have someone show up time to time with a newer bike, but we don't care, it's all about enjoying bicycles. If a kid shows up at one of our events we're happy no matter what they're riding, at least the kid isn't off doing drugs or who knows what. I understand it from a car guy point of view (no toyotas at a vw meet) but I say if people are willing to come out and ride, let them. I pretty much ride any type of bicycle I can get my hands on, never really cared what's "hip" or not, they're all just bicycles. That guy is a jerk, but you have to expect that when posting on craigslist.

So no difference between someone who manufactures frames and hand-makes parts, and someone who uses other manufacturer's frames and parts....hmm. I guess there's no difference between someone who makes their own custom bicycle parts and someone who assembles a bike out of store-bought "custom" parts either :?

SkidMark said:
I guess there's no difference between someone who makes their own custom bicycle parts and someone who assembles a bike out of store-bought "custom" parts either :?

no theres not, are you suggesting that one person is better than the other ???

That's thinking a little too much into it. Whether you build a bike from raw tubing and welder, or order the part from a supplier, you're doing it for the purpose of riding the bike, right? I like building things from scratch or buying from a company that makes good products, whatever I need to have an enjoyable bike. If someone's looking to form a club that discriminates against "purchased" bikes, they're waisting their time. Hand made bikes are nice to look at, but I'd rather see it cruising down the road. Form a club for the sake of riding, not sitting around and talking about how you made this or cut that.

CCR said:

Not necessarily better. Both are being creative and executing their own vision. Still there is obviously more skill involved in designing, fabricating, and finishing your own parts. Some people do this out of necessity, they have the tools, the skills, and the time, but not that much money. Is someone with a less limited cash-flow, "better"? Depending upon what you've investing in tools and materials it may not even be cheaper to fabricate.

necessaryevil said:
If someone's looking to form a club that discriminates against "purchased" bikes, they're waisting their time. Hand made bikes are nice to look at, but I'd rather see it cruising down the road. Form a club for the sake of riding, not sitting around and talking about how you made this or cut that.

Funny, Drop Out Bike Club's requirement for joining is that you must build a bike with a frame you fabricated from cut-up bike frames, tubing, etc. So far we have 11 members, two are women. I think all of us have regular bikes with aftermarket parts and accessories on them, so it's not discrimination. We ride plenty, and then we sit around and talk about what we're gonna build next.

SkidMark said:
CCR said:

Not necessarily better. Both are being creative and executing their own vision. Still there is obviously more skill involved in designing, fabricating, and finishing your own parts. Some people do this out of necessity, they have the tools, the skills, and the time, but not that much money. Is someone with a less limited cash-flow, "better"? Depending upon what you've investing in tools and materials it may not even be cheaper to fabricate.

I never brought up cost ??? i just dont see the point in bringing up peoples skill level either unless it is a "skill" specific club/krew/etc.. ??? which i dont think it is in this particular situation :|

just sounded like you snobbing necessaryevil for being willing to ride with "other" bikes too, which is not cool to snob something like that IMO

guys guys lets simmer down!!! Arguing about each others different opinons so much makes us no better than the jerk who emailed me. In my posting i never said you had to have built the bike from scratch over customizing it factory style. what i was getting at was those crews i mentioned being full of BS and then being total jerks to everyone not in their crew. and taking over every spot they go to. working at a shop that you need to go to to get a part and being total a-holes to you because youre getting a part for a rat and not whatever they ride. Even if your bike is 100% stock, that isn't the point. its the guy riding it...thats what mkes the crew, not the bikes.

oh and i know who jesse james and occ chopper are. i was making the point that i do not idolize those guys and i in no way mimic those guys. and i know rat fink by the misfits is not on the stereo. but that actually is one of the misfits songs ive never heard. ha ha...i dont play beer pong...never have once. i work for Quiksilver so naturally i think the norcal name and brand is lame. see what im getting at? i was against the judging without grounds for someone to be judged on. all my "judgements" were more like observations and i kept it pretty specific to a few. and made sure it was known that my opservations do not go for everyone.

get on your bikes and ride!

CCR: I think you are looking for conflicts where they don't exist. I was just citing another example of how someone could think they are "better" than someone else, and a lot of times the dudes on the bling-bling bikes look down on you for your "home-made bike".

I ride "other" bikes quite a bit and so do other club members, so I don't get how I could be snobbing anyone. Our monthly ride is open to all comers, you just have to show up on pedal-power, that's pretty inclusive.

This discussion we're having started because a builder that I respect and has undeniable skill, was compared to some clowns (OCC) with minimal talent in comparison. I tried to steer it back on topic by making it more bicycle-oriented. I don't think it's all the same, I think fabrication is much more work, and I think reality kinda backs me up on that. I think everyone who ends up making their own stuff starts off adding custom bits, but decides they want a little more individuality than can be acheived picking and choosing pre-existing parts. It's not "better" but it's definitely not the same.

To Praise the Lowered: it sucks to have no-one to ride with and starting a club is a good way to guarantee you have someone to ride with. I wouldn't write off anyone on any type of bike, even if they have that "I'm tha Bomb" look on their face. I bet you have a pretty smug look when you ride the Stretcher and you should, it's a cool bike. Even those "fixie" guy, there's plenty out there that have other bikes at home even if you usualy see them on their "fixie".

Exactly, it doesn't matter what you ride. If you're lucky enough to have a group of people in your area that actually enjoy riding a bicyle, why not form some kind of club. Just look at what some of the clubs on this forum do, salvation army, breast cancer, toys for tots, etc...Form a club, meet new people, have fun,ride for a cause. That's what a bicycle club should be about. That's what my club is all about.

Back