Frank N. Stine - updated pics 7-2-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got some work done on the peices that will in the space between the frame tubes and act as a mount for some of the electrical that will be on the bike. the material i used is a very hard plastic. these peices were platforms that held paper stacks on the feed end of one of the printing presses i run. these things can hold up to 5 thousand sheets of copy paper, for anyone who's ever lifted a case of copy paper, these plastic platforms are strong enough to hold that much weight so you can imagine it wasnt the easiest to try to cut and shape!
FrankNStine623.jpg

i had to get new jigsaw blades to make clean cuts, but there are still a few 'booger spots.' it took forever to sand too, alot longer than wood and really gritty sheet, i had to use a wood file on some spots.
FrankNStine633.jpg

the peices i had to work with were not long enough to do what i originally wanted to, so i had to get creative. i think it's gonna look good when its all done and mounted.
FrankNStine643.jpg

i still cannot beleive how much time went into these three peices of plastic!!! and i still got some finishing sanding to do!! i also put together a rack to hand bikes from while im working on them, that should make things a lil easier on me too. i had the rear wheel's hub maintenced cuz the cones were loose and it needed a tad bit of truing. she's gonna ride like a magic carpet!
FrankNStine653.jpg

i dont have any way of keeping these in the frame to show what they'll look like, but i think y'all will like em when theyre done! everybody is doin a great job on there projects, the worlds gonna have some NIIIICCEEE lookin bike when this thing is done! great work everyone! fast eddie outty
fast eddie outty

got some work done this weekend, this bike would already be done if i hadnt decided to put this peice in the frame to mount switches and batteries too. here is a shot of the three plastic peices i photo'd before, they are now sanded, holes drilled, and bolted together. i didnt like the bottom of the larger peice but i was stuck with it cuz that what i started with, so i cut the two smaller pieces to hide that ugly edge, the bottom curve matches the chainring, and top curve of those bottome pieces matches the holes in the crank arms where the pedal screw into. in fact i put the sharpie in the notches in the chain to draw the bottom cut line, then into the pedal mount hole to draw the top curve. here it is from both sides, this was ALOT of time!!!!
FrankNStine703.jpg

FrankNStine693.jpg

then it took FOREVER to draw and drill all of the holes used to mount this to the frame, and the holes to mount the on/off switches. against my better judgement i used zip ties in the hopes that they might look like stitches or something, they dont look like stitches but they hold it in the frame really well, im happy with it. the four 9 volt batteries will also mount to this and ill paint a frankenstien graphic on it. those are two knife swithes that will turn the front and rear running lights off and on, that way when i "throw the main switch" ( a quote from an old frankestine movie) the bike will 'come to life' pretty sweet ay! i cut the top curve of the larger peice of plastic to go along with the existing curves of the top tubes of the frame, when its all painted the color scheme ill use will really help it to compliment the bikes existing curves, i think it'll turn out pretty sweet!

FrankNStine713.jpg

remeber the pedals? i cut the heel off some old boots cuz frankenstine wears boots. i couldnt mount the entire sould of the shoe, but using just the sole of the shoe gets the "boot" idea across and it will also be practicle since it'll help my feet to grip the pedal.
FrankNStine723.jpg

i had to dig alot of rubber out, the next step is to use some gorilla gue to hold it all together, maybe some staples or something, i might even get an old soldering gun and smooth out the rougher spots, not sure yet. this is what they look like from the top, i really dig these pedals man!!!
FrankNStine733.jpg

the bike is also ready to start tearing back down for paint, i can test the light system while its apart, just gotta remember to leave bare metal spot for grounding the lights. wont have time to work on him for a bit, but i gotta hurry and get the frame painted before it gets too cold, so i may try to get it done this week. still have some parts that need cleaned and painted too, but im really happy w/ how Frank is comin along! everyone's bikes are lookin really cool, great work guys...and giggles! fast eddie outty

using a continuous peice of some material was my original idea, but im not sure what to try and i have to keep in mind that the materail will directly contact the paint so it cant be wire anything like that, ill prolly hit the hobby lobby at some point and see whats available. zip ties also give me the opportunity to install them loosely, then adjust them one at a time like spokes so that it sits in the frame nicely, im not sure if i could do that with one long peice of material and it'd suck to get it laced up and find out that i couldnt adjust it right. we'll see, thanx for the suggestions and please keep them comin!
fast eddie outty

:D I kinda like the idea of the zip ties. :D
If you think about it. Being they are black it kinda looks like stitches.
And a good frankenstine has stitches here and there. :wink:

lOOKING SAWEET! Ilove this bike.. With the seat, are you going to make braces to support it? The pannels looks sweet.

that seat post came out of the schwinn excercise bike that i parted out for this build, i had it bent at a machine shope, i dont think it'll need bracing. i have had posts bend on me before, but they were not seat posts, i have yet to have one of these seat posts bend. i dont like sissy bars, but i reeeaaallly like the look of these bent posts, worth the 10 bucks for sure!
fast eddie outty

Re: Frank N. Stine - updated pics 11-4-07

the frame is primed, ill prolly get the 2nd coat of primer and 1st base coat of black this weekend, its been too cold to paint over the last week and i still havent wired the lights. itll be two tone black and green like frankenstein, whats the deadline i forgot?
fast eddie outty

well it looks like im not gonna finish this bike by friday, but when its done ill post it in the gallery, its gonna rock! thans to the site for lightin a lil fire under my behind to get started on a project ive been wanting to have a go at for a while now! good work everyone and i cant wait to see who wins!
fast eddie outty

i forgot to update the date in the thread name when i put up these two pics. i should have some more by monday, the frame is masked and ready for the first two coats of black. i usually do two coats about 20 minutes apart, then let it sit for at last 5 days, then put 2 more coats of the same color 20 minutes apart, then repeat that process with the clear coat. thats one reason (besides crappy winte weather) that it takes me so long to finish a paint job.
fast eddie outty

fast eddie said:
i forgot to update the date in the thread name when i put up these two pics. i should have some more by monday, the frame is masked and ready for the first two coats of black. i usually do two coats about 20 minutes apart, then let it sit for at last 5 days, then put 2 more coats of the same color 20 minutes apart, then repeat that process with the clear coat. thats one reason (besides crappy winte weather) that it takes me so long to finish a paint job.
fast eddie outty
You have way more patience than i do. I can't resist trying to get everything painted in a day. That is why my bike is torn back apart and I am stripping back down to metal...
I look forward to seeing your creation come to life... :mrgreen:

Back