Frank N. Stine - updated pics 7-2-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fast eddie said:
does everyone else usually take the time to do this?

Man I don't even ever take the frames down to bare metal. I just sand with some 220 till I have a nice smooth and even base for primer.

major surgery may be necessary

i have a problem, i have a reeeaaallly cool springer fork for my project, but the head tube of the frame is too long and when the fork is installed there is not enough thread at the top to secure it correctly. im thinking of using my table top cut off wheel to take some head tube off from the bottom, any suggestions? i have some new mock up pics but its after midnight so ill post em later. please help w/ good advice about the head tube!!!!
fast eddie outty

Dont touch the head tube!

Cut the fork below the thread with your cut off saw and weld a spacer from another donor fork. Dont stress about accuracy because you can always cut off threads if you need to later.

I've chopped the head tube before, just because I don't have convenient access to a welder. Either modifying the frame or fork will do the trick, it just depends on what tools you have at your disposal.

fast eddie said:
would chopping the head tube fall under the category of frame modification that is not allowed by the rules?
fast eddie outty

I think that would be just a minor mod to make things work. Sort of like being able to chop a bit off the seat post tube to get your seat lower. The main thing is not radically altering the frame to change the look of the bike or building a custom frame from scratch....that was really the intentions of that "rule".

they make different size steer tubes for those...just un-screw it and throw the right size one in...

some new pics

here is a "donor" bike that will be helping me with this contest build and another build, an old one, but her parts will be going to some very cool bikes!!!
FrankN.Stine93.jpg

here is yours truly doing more sanding, NEVER AGAIN!!! bmx frames are fairly quick and easy, this is my first 26" frame build, and my first cantilever frame build, next time its off to the sandblaster for sure!!!!
FrankN.Stine83.jpg

here is the profile of the front end, i really like this stem, its from an older road bike but it looks cool w/ this monarch repro springer fork that i got from hooch (thanx!) the head tube on this frame is about 1/2" too long, this pic is at the mock up where i discovered that problem, so ill be feeding it to a table top cut off wheel next chance i get. there is also a very cool bracket that i have that i want to use to mount some lights to so i need to make room for that too.
FrankN.Stine123.jpg

here i played w/ some different looks, ill prolly go with the black mini apes with the road bike stem from the pic above of the front end w/out handlebars. there's already a few board track lookin front ends in the contest, plus i like apes better anyway! one more thing to sand and paint!!!!
FrankN.Stine103.jpg

FrankN.Stine113.jpg

well, thats all for now, i have more mock up for other parts to do before i take it back apart for surgery and paint, so ill get those pics up when i get a chance. my gramma is comin into town for a week so i wont get much done till next, but ill be itchin for sure!!! fast eddie outty

im hoping to use the big sprocket, that'll be the last part i mock up thought, looks like its gonna be reeeeaaaally tight IF i can make it work at all, the outside diameter wants to hit the chainstay so i might just stick with the chainring that came off, bur i reeeaaaalllly want that big one on it its just too cool lookin!!
fast eddie outty

Looking good! I too have a pair of black mini apes allmost exactly the same, they are awesome!

Back