FELT'S ABRAHAM LINKAGE SPRINGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skillsthebarber said:
Looking at it, couldn't you replace the rear fork on it for one with a 1" steerer?

I haven't done diddly with 1 1/8" steer tube bikes, so I don't know how much work it would take, but you could put a 1" tube on the original.

Rat Rod said:
I wonder if it would fit on my PUB without any modification....hmmmm.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg
I really really like that bike...has the colors of my favorite beer.

"Looks like back legs which are wider tapers down to a hair under 3 1/8" where the radius starts, the front legs taper down to just under 3 1/4". You'd have to mount to the front arch which does have a thru-hole front to back but don't know about clearance on the back arch to the fender if you did. I don't think there's a lot of travel in the fork though."

Thanks SoCal, that's about everything I need to know. It looks like it can be used with a front fender after all.

olschbp said:
I know that they use that fork on thier Slater bike, but it uses 26" Quick Bricks, and I have a Chief, with 24X3 Thick Bricks, don't mind buying one, but want to make sure that it will work for me, thank's for your help socal_jack

Alright dude, here's the lowdown - they work! Filled the tire with 30# it's pretty firm at that pressure, tire at widest point mic'd ~2.75, there's at most 1/4" gap on either side but maybe a hair under. That leaves about a 2" gap to the top of the front crown. Had to backlight it to get some pics not very good quality but you can get a feel for it.

IMG_1566.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg

socal_jack
Thanks! for all the great info, Thick Brick fits! I got to get one of these forks.

BTW...When is Felt going to start paying for all the advertising? :roll:

They already get some ideas from this site :wink:......
REVOLVER_2011_USA_SMALL.jpg

Skipton said:
socal_jack
Thanks! for all the great info, Thick Brick fits! I got to get one of these forks.

BTW...When is Felt going to start paying for all the advertising? :roll:

They already get some ideas from this site :wink:......

SKipton, the Thick Bricks looked really good in the fork with all that luxurious fatness. My plan originally was to return the bike to the all black 26X2.125 wheelset, but I'm gonna have to try out the look with both now. Too bad the 24 rims aren't all black, and I don't want to paint this wheelset.

One last observation after mounting the fork and handlebars; the springs on this fork seem completely tuned to adult weight. Unlike the repop Monark, this springer offers serious resistance and almost a feeling of damping, I'm 220# and could not bottom the springs pushing on them. I may not get an opportunity to ride test the fork until the weekend as the bike is not complete yet (chain, pedals, and may swap the wheelset).

Socal Jack, I appreciate how helpful you have been about this springer.
If you have some extra time, would you mind seeing what a fender looks like with that springer over a standard 26 x 2.125 tire? The fender I plan on using has one set of fender stays on the rear and the front attaches to the fork. A pic of a fender on the springer fork would be great.
I know it's asking a lot, so it's no big deal if you can't do it. I just want to make sure I can use it before I buy one.
Thanks.

GameBent said:
Socal Jack, I appreciate how helpful you have been about this springer.
If you have some extra time, would you mind seeing what a fender looks like with that springer over a standard 26 x 2.125 tire? The fender I plan on using has one set of fender stays on the rear and the front attaches to the fork. A pic of a fender on the springer fork would be great.
I know it's asking a lot, so it's no big deal if you can't do it. I just want to make sure I can use it before I buy one.
Thanks.

Caught me at a perfect time, just watching the Hurley Pro from Trestles online and messing around with the bike now testing the 24X3 versus 26X2.125 look, the Nirve is a big frame I think the 24X3 looks too small. Maybe 24/26 would look good. Still not sure about the bars. Rode the 24X3 setup a little no bottoming in the fork like the repop.
IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Dug out the original front fender and took a few shots. The fender contacts on the fork legs in the back it would need to be bent in a bit to use. Here's the front shot

IMG_1571.jpg

Side shot
IMG_1570.jpg

From the back
IMG_1569.jpg

Thank you Socal, I really appreciate it.

GameBent said:
Thank you Socal, I really appreciate it.

No problema. Think I need to dig out the black apes in the garage and throw those on, originally got it with the apes think it'll look better with this fork. Either that or lose the layback, more of a slammed seat and go with a more moto style bars.

Can this 1-1/8" threadless steering tube be adapted to fit frames that are built for 1" steering tubes......I like this way better than the Monarch reproduction. Does antone know if Felt makes this Springer with a 1" steering tube......help I want to put this on my 52 Schwinn single bar frame.

I really like this Linkage springer, but I'm not crazy about the long bracket that holds it onto the steerer tube. I would like to use it with one that is around 1 inch shorter. Someone mentioned that they can cut the bracket and reweld it, but I'm no welder. Any suggestions?
Anyone live close to San Diego that can shorten the existing bracket for me?

mingero said:
Can this 1-1/8" threadless steering tube be adapted to fit frames that are built for 1" steering tubes......I like this way better than the Monarch reproduction. Does antone know if Felt makes this Springer with a 1" steering tube......help I want to put this on my 52 Schwinn single bar frame.

With some creative grinding/filing, an older bike CAN accomodate a 1-1/8" steerer. Your older Schwinn should have a steerer tube with an ID a touch over 31mm. Later bikes have a more slender headtube, but earlier bikes have a head tube large enough to take it... it may require some time with the dremel on the inside of the headtube and the outside of the cups/races to squeeze it all together, but it can be made to work. Best bet: pull a cup out of your '52, take it to your LBS, and compare it to the cup on one of their 1-1/8" headsets. It'll be within a couple of hair breadths of the same diameter where it enters the headtube.

-DD

Well don't just post two pics and a smiley face. Tell us what size stuff you used and how it is working. :roll: :roll:
Nice Bikes. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Well don't just post two pics and a smiley face. Tell us what size stuff you used and how it is working. :roll: :roll:
Nice Bikes. :lol:
Thanx and apologies Uncle Stretch, I was too busy enjoying the ride(s) to elaborate much. :D

Mounting the Abe went pretty smooth on both bikes. Nothing fancy, just used starnuts. Spent some time experimenting with spacers and the position of the riser-plate on the steerer tube, this of course affects the position of the rockers (and the height of the bike, the Linkage is rather tall for a stretched cruiser frame) The KK feels very stable, the Classic -with a more horizontal position of the rockers- feels a bit nervous. I may have to replace the rather tall Truvativ stem to make some more room on the steerer tube.

Plenty of clearance with both wheel/tire combinations. 56mm/26"/Quick Brick on the Classic. 65mm Rigida/26"x2.135" Street Hog on the Slick.

The springs on the Abe are pretty stiff and I expected a pretty hard ride, especially considering there's not a lot of load on the front wheel. After a little wearing in however suspension works fine, not as smooth and soft as a standard springer but not as hard as I expected.

Next step is replacing the disc-brake hub on the Slick with a Felt drum-brake hub. I'll let you guys know how that works out.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Aw heck, just one more smiley then... :D

Latest posts

Back