Electrolysis Season NOT PICKED UP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Electrolysis Time to Reflect

jwm said:
JJBones said:
But will it remove unwanted body hair? :D
Bet it would!- Soak your head in that tank for an hour and you'd never need a shave or a haircut again.

JWM

People please let’s try to be serious here. Do you want unwanted body hair in your julienne fries. You would expect to pay 1000’s of dollars for a cleaning system that makes you lunch too….. But you won’t pay near that.
Let’s look at this a little more first

We will be right back

Ok ! Well I have to admit I am a little nervous. The temp. is at 32 degrees. The last time I was back at the vat was yesterday at noon. The temp. has been hovering in the mid to low 30’s the entire time. I have not yet cleaned anything with water this cold. I have no idea if it will make any difference or not. We will know in an hour or so. :|

New Update

Ok The process has slowed way down in step 4
Time to do some hand cleaning. This is the most labor intensive part so 25 minutes total hand cleaning. You will need some special tools which we will give you free just pay additional handling and shipping.
IMG_2397.jpg

The water is very cold and I had a small hole in one glove finger went numb quick.
I took the parts in doors to do some hand cleaning. I also realized I had not used the tank for about 3 weeks and It was time for maintenance. I got the dry wall mixer out added a quarter cup of soda and mixed the whole mess up for 3 min.
IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

Ok dug out a old pond heater and after letting the solids settle I put it in the vat
Went inside to hand clean parts.
IMG_2395.jpg

More to come

Re: Electrolysis Getting closer

IMG_2398.jpg

Ok I hand scraped the lose paint off of the parts. I did fork first and put it back in the tank wow 5 amp draw. Remember the line of sight thing ? lets flip the fork upside down this time.

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

Now back to the fender. The paint pulls loose in a lot of areas so I picked and scraped at it, very little pressure I donot want to scratch the metal

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

I spent 5 min. on the fork and twenty on the fender
Flip the lead to the other side and clamped it for better connection back in tank

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Ok settled back down to 3 amps
IMG_2429.jpg

OH here is the fork
IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

Let’s go finish our Christmas shopping and check this later tonight or tomorrow :D

Peatbog said:
Okay, it removes rust and cooks fries. If that thing can slice tomatoes, then I want one.

I am 2 hours away Would you prefer delivery or pickup
IMG_2391T.jpg

Re: Electrolysis Fork is Done

Well went back to take a peek. The fork is done. We will let the fender cook by its self till morning. Five cycles to get the fork to this point. Two days in the Vat but really only spent about forty minutes hands on cleaning. Ok not 100% clean but… 99% of the mess is in the tank NO harsh chemicals involved. I like this process. I will charge ½ scrubbie or .35 and 1/8 pair of gloves , .37 This is the big expense. I have been experimenting with this same drum of water on and off since the middle of August . I have added 2 boxes of soda, one when I started and the other over the last 3 months. They are 3.50 A box. I have not tracked the electricity at all but it is not a lot.
IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2437-1.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

Re: Electrolysis 22 deg, ICE !! Done for now

Well it is 6am and the temp is down to 22 . I am going to check the fender soon. I am thinking I am done till Spring.. This will give me a chance to make a new B.S. free thread, easier to read but not as much fun.
Oh yea! I have a bigger tank, I need to set up also. I will be doing the rear wheel for my cycle truck next. I am going to try this tank but... I have some Concerns about the shape. :?: Anybody else doing this :?:
IMG_2363.jpg

I like that tub. I need one like that. Where do ya get them? I use a rope drum now,and only half the wheel fits in.

Voyager Al said:
I like that tub. I need one like that. Where do ya get them? I use a rope drum now,and only half the wheel fits in.

Tractor Supply was on sale awile back

Well I started this thread too late in the year :x ice on the top process stopped :cry: We will have to wait until I can move inside or weather warms. :D
vatman_zps866bb5a5.jpg

Re: Electrolysis ICE! 22Deg. Done for now

Peatbog said:
When you do make a new thread when the ice melts, I vote against the "easier to read but not as much fun" thread. Whilst information is good, it is even better with fun inserted into the equation. That is a proven math concept:

Information + fun = better thread

Information + no fun = disappointment in reading pleasure

Those are the two equations I took straight out of the Bible. The choice is yours...
Then so be it The show must go on
SO_zps41756659.jpg

JJBones said:

This is the first thing I thought when I read the title. :lol:

You have some great info here, it never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity that this board shows. You know you are only a couple vats and chemicals away from electroplating, but I think I would leave that one alone.

Hay Burner said:
JJBones said:

This is the first thing I thought when I read the title. :lol:

You have some great info here, it never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity that this board shows. You know you are only a couple vats and chemicals away from electroplating, but I think I would leave that one alone.
As a free thinking Upper Appalachia Red Neck. I assume that when you say I would leave that alone, in reality you are saying let’s get a beer and look at this. Well rest assured I am not interested in the nasty chemicals involved with chrome plating. Nickel or copper plating you ask ? Let me go get a couple beers…. :lol:

Sweet!
I snagged an old plastic barrel that I was going to give the wifey as a housewarming present for her garden. Looks like I'll be looking for another present for her :mrgreen:

Vonpotter said:
Sweet!
I snagged an old plastic barrel that I was going to give the wifey as a housewarming present for her garden. Looks like I'll be looking for another present for her :mrgreen:
Well some scrap steal, washing soda and a charger! you are done! Please keep me informed :D

Peatbog said:
Copper plating you say!? Using beer? :p Huh? What? I am going to have to visit this guy!

Well technically the beer is an indirect support product. This is used to enhance the free thinking process and instill the confidence to try something stupid. This will then lead to a more sensible understanding of the said project. Let’s take for instance the time early on, just moved from a 5 gallon bucket to the 50 gallon drum. We were still using baking soda and my same charger I am using now so… we wanted to do it the American Way, you know instant gratification. My buddy says I got the DC welder on this trailer. Let’s set it on low (Ninety volts I think) and see what happens. Yea you get the welder, I will grab a couple more beers this is going to work. Well it was making some serious bubbles Let’s look a little closer. Need another beer I say , sure he says. Lean in to look , bump the stick holding the rear bike rack. Awesome Blue flashing water and the governor kicks in to keep the engine rpm down. Yea arc welding under water. Nice little notch in the one fender brace and one of the rivets gone ! Oh the rivet hole is the same size as the missing rivets head. OOPS I am looking for a 24 to 36 volt power supply but with my illness ( you know fundsarelow disease) I have not been able to pick one up yet. YET I say. Hey we have this thing working but I feel there is a lot room for improvement. Oh my Santa is almost here will I better get to bed Merry Christmas all

Back