Budget rat "The Boot Legger"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonvo4591 said:
those suicide shift's are pretty bad (in the good sense of the word).

What are you planning on making them shift?

I'm thinking about swapping the rear wheel and making it a 3, 5, or 7 speed. Then the other I might make a suicide brake for the front.

kingplinker said:
cool bike! I bought THREE bags of them skulls at dollar store - TOO funny!

Well now you know one thing to do with them.

Just put a few more "Finishing touches" on the Ol' Bootlegger bike. Got my headlight and taillight mounted, both converted to LED. Also got in my RRB decals! SWEET!!!

P9050063.jpg

P9050064.jpg

P9050065.jpg

P9050067.jpg

P9050066.jpg

jonvo4591 said:
awesome! The bike is becoming a true rat rod!

Thanks man, I was going for an old-school Rat Rod look to it. Kinda slow going with other projects and little cash. But it helps the creative process not to use ANYTHING that is new or bought.

The bike was on C-list for $10 and I traded a trash find bmx bike for it. So that was free.
Rattle can paint Flat black and red $6
Seat (Freebie)
The lights are both flea market and garbage finds,
The taillight is a red lens (Got a bunch of them for $2) glued to an old compass ($0.25) with a $1 clip on LED light stuck inside,
The headlight was a garbage find with corroded batteries and missing parts, So I put another $1 clip on LED light in it too.
The back rack was a kid's skate scooter, (Freebie)
The flask pouch was from my neighbor's old couch, (Freebie)
The shifters are from an old Huffy 10 speed (Freebie) with golf club stocks (trash score) and dollar store bag o skulls for the tops, ($1)

I think I've spent more on the decals and my spike valve caps than anything else on the bike. :lol: :mrgreen:

All together I have under $25 in it. To me it's Priceless.

awesome, man. All I've done to my current rat ride is take stuff off and swap on a different seat and a set of straight bars from a MTB I had sitting on the floor. I also added tires.

Bike: Free
Bars: Free
Seat: Free
Tires: $15

I fall in the under $25 category too!

SSPX0548.jpg

Half Link said:
Very Coo!! I Really like the addition of the lights and RRB decals!! 8)
Yeah I sometimes go riding after hours because it's cooler in the evenings and It really helps. You'd be amazed how bright a ONE LED light can be!

jonvo4591 said:
The apes are looking good! how do they feel?

They feel a lot better, more laid back and relaxed riding position too. Only thing is when I'm walking the bike I feel like a midget. The grips come up to my chest. Not as bad as my old cruiser I had when I was a kid, I had the bottom of a shopping cart for handlebars. They were over my head! I don't know what the legal limit is for apes but they were well over it...... :mrgreen:

The quest for perfection continues.......... My new..........old headlight looks AWESOME! Thanks Ratina! Also added in a Mountain bike bar end under the seat to move it back and down a bit, worked great, Thanks HotRodRob for the idea. Also installed the taillight and generator on back to go with the headlight for night time riding. One thing though it keeps blowing bulbs, anyone know what I can do? I know the generator is meant to power a headlight and taillight and is giving it too much amperage and blowing the bulb. Can I run a resistor or diode to cut the voltage down so it stops popping bulbs??? You know some cheap Radio shack solution. Or should I install a second taillight and power both off of it?

PA210156.jpg

PA210157.jpg

PA210158.jpg

PA210160.jpg

PA210161.jpg

PA210162.jpg

deorman said:
My first guess would be to try a higher wattage bulb. Radio Shack usually carries several different bulbs for a given socket.

Cool thanks man.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Dude, this bike just keeps getting better and better and in true rat rod style!
Keep it up!
Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks! I really need to start on making a tank for it but it's been cold and that turns me lazy...lol

Well guys sorry to do it but I SOLD THE BOOTLEGGER! Really cool guy drove here in an ice storm to get the bike, we chatted about bikes a little, He's got a collection of stingrays in every color! He showed me pics on his phone, so I know it went to a good home. But I gave him a great deal on it and I told him to check out the site and join if he wants so we may have a new member.

Back