Budget rat "The Boot Legger"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I been doing so many of those "finishing touches" to my rat so I figured I'd start a build thread.

I started with this a Huffy Santa Fe 2. Found on C-list for $10 and traded him out of it.
3ka3mb3lb5Y25O35Z2a7udbb77864594d1e3b.jpg

3m43p23l55O65Z05P5a7uae48ed04f840127d.jpg

Then swapped the crank, painted it Flat Rat black, and painted the rims red.
P7210011.jpg

Got a more "old school" seat
P7240089.jpg

Made a custom leather pouch to hold a Whiskey flask water bottle out of some scraps of leather from my neighbor's couch he got rid of to make the holder. Wasn't this actual piece but you get the idea
P7280028.jpg

A little sewing
P7280029.jpg

A cut up water bottle mount to hold the leather open
P7280032.jpg

and bracket to mount it
P7280033.jpg

and what I used for the bottle, a whiskey flask !
P7280030.jpg

Here it is mounted and on the bike
P7280036.jpg
[/quote]

I also got bored this morning and decided to make a rack for the back too. Bet you can't guess what it was........
P8010069.jpg

P8010070.jpg

P8010072.jpg

Maybe this will clue you in.......
P8010071.jpg

It does ride pretty low to the tire, used an old fender brace to hold it up but I'm going to reinforce it later.
P8010073.jpg

FUTURE PLANS:
The "Dr. Tankenstein inspired" tank is mocked up and ready to be cut from red tinted Plexiglas and an 8-ball suspended between the two sides. Also will have lights inside the tank to really make it stand out. Then pinstripe flames coming off the 8-ball on both sides.
P8010067.jpg

P8010062.jpg

Re: Budget rat

what is the peg with the quick clamp bolt going to be or for? trailer?

Upper Class White Trash said:
what is the peg with the quick clamp bolt going to be or for? trailer?

Yep I always drag it around in case I hit a mother load score.......
P7240071.jpg

P7220013.jpg

I been thinking of painting the trailer flat black and possibly making a rumble seat for it.

I really like the flask pouch! hmmmmm.....Got a name for this bike...The Boot Legger. To me,the bike is looking like the old 'hot rods' used to run 'shine in the South. With the flat black paint, painted rims, well worn whitewalls, the tan interior (seat), the flask, the homemade rack 'out back', see where I'm going?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On the 'tank', you might consider going to 5 spacers instead of 3, to reduce 'flex' in the plexi and if you end up running wires through it for a headlight or tail light, it will give something to tuck the wires against to get them up and outta sight when the lights in the tank are on.
Just thinking....it's what I do....usually.....sometimes... :wink: :wink:

Paint the pan black
leave the metal frame the way it is.
Build a wood slated deck lid that is hinged at one end and latched at the other. Use some old pallet or fence wood to keep with the salvage theme.

eeww just had a brain fart.

If you split the lid so its a duel opening design- when you open it and you will double your carrying surface.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I really like the flask pouch! hmmmmm.....Got a name for this bike...The Boot Legger. To me,the bike is looking like the old 'hot rods' used to run 'shine in the South. With the flat black paint, painted rims, well worn whitewalls, the tan interior (seat), the flask, the homemade rack 'out back', see where I'm going?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On the 'tank', you might consider going to 5 spacers instead of 3, to reduce 'flex' in the plexi and if you end up running wires through it for a headlight or tail light, it will give something to tuck the wires against to get them up and outta sight when the lights in the tank are on.
Just thinking....it's what I do....usually.....sometimes... :wink: :wink:

I like your thinking on the name! ......Hiccup..... :mrgreen: Also thanks for the advice on the tank. As far as wires go I'll probably run it through the frame to hide it entirely.

cman said:
Looking good. Great idea for the 8ball tank.

Thanks, I saw Dr. Tankenstein's tank and was looking at different decals on e-bay and saw a flaming 8-ball and it just hit me like a ton of bricks............ :idea: What if it was clear with an 8-ball in the center? :idea: And I've had an 8-ball sitting on my toolbox begging me to do something with it for years. It's ironic, all these years I thought it'd become a shift knob........ :mrgreen:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
That's called boot leggin' and that's against the law........

EXACTLY! Hence the name! :mrgreen:

LOL......Hiccup........right.....Hiccup...... :mrgreen:

Back