bicycle engine kit update july7th maiden voyage vid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still havent finished my tank for my boardtrack racer, but i decide i wouldn't mind taking it out for a test drive.
broke out the 80cc engine and it occured to me that these broken english instructions don't make much sence.

i'm hoping one of you can help translate.

problem #1 circuit indications (which i assume means curcuit instructions)

"correctly install the electronic ignition set, the blue wire or the red wire of the ignition, the blue wire of the connecting coils"

so i connected the blue to blue, black to black and that leaves me a white wire (motor) and a yellow and black wire (throttle) none of the wires are mentioned again in the instructions. what goes where?
IMG_0395.jpg

problem 2 ajustment of clutch

"at the ends of the handle of the clutch,please ensure keep a certain free space,generally 2-3mm. only proper space able to ensure the timely decoupling of the clutch and free of slipery. in the course of ajustment,loosen the handle of the clutch,turn the hollow center screws,turn outside for decrease space,turn inside for increased space. after ajustment, tighten the nuts to avoid loose. if slipery in case of proper space,dimantle the cover of the clutch to check if cover sleeve of the clutch is loose, and tighten if necessary. "

uuuuum, yeah. i'm confused. what i would really like to know is this, how do i properly connect the clutch cable.
i'm assuming i have the parts in the right place.
IMG_0397.jpg

but i was hoping somebody could give me a ball park idea of where to set the stop on the cable.
how far does that arm have to move, and where should it be when its in its relaxed position.
any info would be greatly appreciated, and pic's are always welcome.

thx guys, all this broken english indications are makin me feel stupid. :)

Re: anybody have the bicycle engine kit for dummies hand book?

My buddy at work has built three or four of these...Try this site:
http://motorbicycling.com/
You'll be able to find EVERYTHING you need to know. If not, I'll ask my 'bud and post his answers.

thx bud, i'll check that out.

well after hours of searching, i'm no closer to my goal.

seems nobody can agree on which way to wire these things.
best i can tell theres 2 trains of thought.

1. blue,blue and yellow together,and the 3 black wires together (white is a 6 watt access. wire)

2 blue,blue yellow together, black to black with the 3rd black being grounded to the frame.

any pro's/con's to either way of wiring? if i use method 1 will i run into problems if i need to ground out lights to the frame?

also still very usure about setting up the clutch.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx

Hang tight Pal! I printed your questions and I'll ask my commrade at work. Like I said he's built 3 or 4 of these and he's a licensed electrictian...Stand by...

standing by.

thanks tonnes.
btw heres what i'm jones'n to ride
IMG_0400.jpg

Oohh Dude! That's sick! I will get back to you ASAP!!

I just rebuilt my motorbike today, and it rides great, so I'll try answering some questions...

As for the clutch, when the cable isn't attached to it you'll notice it flops around. I just held the arm toward the point where it stopped on the engine side, and then clamped the cable on there. The other end of mine is attached to an old bike brake handle which doesn't offer much travel, but it is able to disengage the clutch. It's really pretty simple, but I'm not the best at conveying instructions...

As for the wiring, my engine has blue, black, and white wires coming out of it. And the black box has blue, black, and grey wires coming out of it (but the grey comes out of the blue, if that makes sense) From what I was told the blue and black wires on the engine and the black box have to be connected together. The white wire is for a light and produces around 8 volts. The grey wire is for the kill switch supplied with the kit. Right now I've only got the blue and black wires connected and the rest are just hanging, and it runs fine.

Hope that helps, like I said above, I'm not the best at giving instructions...good luck! Your bike looks great so far.

Oh dang, just looked at your photos, I have no idea what those second little black and yellow wires are! But I bet somebody on motorbicycling does.

hotfoot said:
Right now I've only got the blue and black wires connected and the rest are just hanging, and it runs fine.

well i guess that explains the different wiring idea's :)
thx for the help guys. so we've got those covered.

next question.

am i bicycle motor stupid? or should the gear turn freely when the clutch is depressed. i can't get mine to turn to get the chain in there. any idea's?

The chain should turn "free-er" than when the clutch is engaged. It won't just spin freely but you should be able to turn it with your fingers.

I put my engine together by trial and error, and was honestly completely surprised when it ran. Just keep tinkering and it'll run.

well i finally had some time to play with the indian.
i ran into chain issues with tire/frame clearance, i still haven't finished the ss tank, but i did take it for my first ride.
the seat def needs to be lower and further back, which isn't a biggy.

it wont idle but thats o.k. i still don't have a kill switch. :)
didn't want to beat on her too much till i make sure i've got all the bugs out, but here it is, the maiden voyage.

That bike is just to cool. I use to want one, now I NEED one.

glad to see you got her running :mrgreen:
bike looks great(although you really do need to make a more appropriate tank for it though(im guessing ones probably in the works as i type this though :wink: )

ain't much fun surfing in the great lakes. :)
i believe however it will eventually sport alittle fold up bike in the back.

i've had a more appropriate tank on the go for some time now.

there it is on the floor. :)
IMG_0400.jpg

i've needed to purchase stainless to finish it off for months. every time i'm on that end of town i keep forgetting to pick some up. :(

btw i found an old pic of the bike the way she started life. i believe its a 1970's girls ross compact.
IMG_1743-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back