any other VW owners on here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to see Midgets, Sprites and Spitfires on a fairly regular basis, plenty of Sunbeams, very popular for V8 conversion, (the wagons, anyway, Alpines could be had already equipped, but were NOT cheap), the occasional TK3000, Bentleys, and of course, the ultimate in smooth, the Rolls. Most have been done in or relegated to hobby status garage queens by now. Tr6's were pretty popular for a while, as were 7's and even some 8's. While most English cars here have been kept going for quite some time, those Tr7's and 8's seemed to have been wiped out within a few years. :roll: I don't know if it was the car or the drivers. :?

http://www.google.com/search?q=British% ... a=N&tab=iw

WildCard said:
Hey Mark,
I knew that you had a ghia, but I've never seen it. Beautiful car!!!
Thanks Shaun..

Not very many mini coopers made it to the US, more MGs and Rovers. Speaking of rubbish how about anything with the brand name Lucas written on it :shock:

Oh, I don't know, the lenses on the "semaphores" were ok. :lol: :lol: Did they make the actual generators on those leaky old ankle breakers I used to ride? They actually worked fine once you ripped out the diode and rectifier, and put in a transistor block. :wink:

deorman said:
I used to see Midgets, Sprites and Spitfires on a fairly regular basis, plenty of Sunbeams...
thought sports cars would be popular

deorman said:
Alpines could be had already equipped
thats the tiger you speak of- a wonderful car, similar but, more refined than the ac cobra

deorman said:
occasional TK3000
austin healy 3000?

deorman said:
those Tr7's and 8's seemed to have been wiped out within a few years
good to here they are gone- the worst sports car ever made most people over here reckon

not many morris minors?

deorman said:
Did they make the actual generators on those leaky old ankle breakers I used to ride? They actually worked fine once you ripped out the diode and rectifier, and put in a transistor block.
english motorbikes by any chance? the wl harleys had a similar reputation over here. panthers were the worst for breaking ankles- 600cc single on the kick. ouch. most mechanical electrical components were lucas if they came from england

2manybikes said:
Speaking of rubbish how about anything with the brand name Lucas written on it
you have to pick and chose with lucas- late stuff is poo and early stuff is ok ish. trafficators are the best one you can buy.

marcusthemoose said:
austin healy 3000?
Roger. + MGA.

marcusthemoose said:
english motorbikes by any chance?
Roger. Love them. :) No kickback problems with Triumphs. 1930's tech good enough to be competitive right up into the '70's. Just ratty rubber on a smooth kick lever, wet with oil due to hard use in a hotter climate with crap gas, and ham handed cast iron mechanics doing "repair by ratchet" :x . Oh, that, and carry tools for the occasional tightening of various fasteners if you DIDN"T overtighten them, or roadside valve pushrod reinstallation. Whitworth wrenches needed for long term maintainance or rodding. Mallable iron pegs that cut the rubber and the road instead of folding. And old NOS gaitors dried out by long exposure to sea air. Never got to have a fresh complete new one. Man, when they were working, what a ride! 8) As for the Lucas, I had older models without block switches or turn signals, the aforementioned electrical mod fixed it pretty much permanently.

you people with your watercooled vws geten it all wrong and THERE AIRCOOLED FOR A REASON!as for british cars i think there all rubbish

masterpoop63 said:
as for british cars i think there all rubbish

don't forget who started the volkswagen programme up after the war ( the 2nd one you were late to :lol: )- or are you one of those " i only have a vw because of its image" people, who don't know thw history?

british cars are far more refined, and make vws look crude. sorry but its true

don't forget who started the volkswagen programme up after the war ( the 2nd one you were late to :lol: )- or are you one of those " i only have a vw because of its image" people, who don't know thw history?

british cars are far more refined, and make vws look crude. sorry but its true[/quote]

Who provided the reparation money for the British to rebuild the plant at Wolfsburg??? The good old USA
Who came to the rescue of the UK and Europe after Churchill begged us to join the fray?? The good old USA

I thought this was a VW owners thread, how did it turn into a bash VW owners thread??
Sorry if I seem a little perturbed, but maybe thats because I feel like somebody is talkin smack about my homeland :x

i think someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning! this was a little joke, hence the reason for the smiley. ( :lol: )

as for the "bash volkswagen" thread, it is merely a bit of friendly banter- don't take it too seriously. all i am really saying is i don't think dubs are all they're cracked up to be, and i rather own a british car any day of the week.

as for all this rubbish about wars- who bailed out the US in iraq and afgan? returning a favour to an old friend i suppose.

anyway i shall say no more, i have told you what side of the fence i'm on.

sorry for any offence, perhaps a british sense of humour is a little alien.

This thread is great! :D

I only ever buy German,Swedish and on ocassion Italian cars.

The reason being they are better than anything else out there. :D I'm trying to think of a good british car!! I can only come up with some prestige stuff pre-1975. Maybe that's why Like the U.S car builders they are on their knees or have folded.

I am lucky enough to own... an Audi coupe, vw type 3, volvo Amazon and an Alfa Spider.

As for Morris Minors being far superior! Give over grandad. :lol: I've driven a couple and they were diabolical. So of all the Aircooled cars within the scene the only one of merit is joe Gallagher's Razor?
I like you, you're funny!! :wink:

al. :D

that green razor, the smallblock chevy bus, and that volksrod hebmuller. no others.

suppose its what you like and morris minors are what i like. comparing the performance of a 1192cc vw and a 1098cc minor, they are pretty similar, and the morris has 100cc less. :eek:

obviously most dubs now have 1600 motors in them, and that is what most owners base performance on. i am sure if the minor had been given a 1600 engine, it would be a different story.

the difference is that volkswagen managed to conquer the american market, something the idiotic bmc never managed, and this is why there is so much more aftermarket stuff for them.

and i suppose vw ownership is compulsory, since you live in cornwall :lol:

as for being a grandad, far from it: 17

17! And you're into stock minors. :shock: takes all sorts I suppose. :wink:

The best thing about minors is a Alfa/Fiat twin cam motor drops straight in.

The fact the beetle was all conquering, was the fact it had a bullet proof engine,easy and cheap to repair and was built under licence in the four corners of the globe, 13 different countries.

VW type 1 production 21.5 million from 1938-2003

Morris Minor production 1.3 million from 1948-1971

The 'beetle' came ten years before the 'moggy' and out lived it by thirty two years with twenty million more built !

The reason vw owners run 1600 motors in their cars ( which in most cases they don't) is the fact that a type 1 motor can be worked on easily and can be built to the displacement of 2.3 from the same block.
The only way a Minor could come close to performance figures of a beetle is drop in an American 'cast off' V8 from Rover !!

As for for the issues of BMC not getting in on the American market ? Didn't seem to effect the mini's popularity did it ?

I could go on but I'm even beggining to bore myself!! :D

al.

I've had a string of Golfs GTi's 'n' Jetts 8 and 16valves. Had a brief dalliance with a 1970 bettle and an even briefer affair with a VW T4 day van...but hated it... like trying to ride a drunk pig on stilts :( couldn't wait to get rid of it... My brother is well into his campers and runs a VW owners group in our area I'm gonna go with him to Vanfest this year for the first time... should be cool... taking my bike too for some cruising around admiring the rat look vans!!!... But I can honestly say that I'd rather push a VW than ride in a british car... we haven't built much worth looking at since the 1930's... but that's just my opinion... oh the AC Ace was nice... but only after Carroll had fiddled with it :shock:
Moggys are okay but really 30's technology with a ra-ra skirt on but thats Morris all over!

the morris was not a "piece of thirties technology with a ra ra skirt on", it was an excellent design, which lacked funding.
remember that the bug used a steering box, and the minor used an advance rack and pinion design, that it didn't get rid of till the 1303.
as for using a v8 to get perfomance from a minor, you couldn't be more wrong- supercharging the a series was a great way to get spritely performance. also the capacity of the a series is nowhere close to the flat four, and a 1340cc is about as big as it gets, and this is pretty peppy. horsepower for capacity, is a pretty equal match.
also the reason the bug lasted longer is because of constant modification to the original spec- the minor was changed just four times. we knew an otdated design when we saw it, and didnt just flog it to technologically backward countries like mexico, and the continent of africa.
the mini was good, and sed the minor engine, or the a35 engine. it was popular, but should have been far more popular, again bmc were extremely complacent.
stock minors are cheap to insure, easy to work on and apparently quite cool according to some people. it is also free of "scene tax", so i get more metal for my money.

ok im taking back my thread by saying ANYTHING made before cars became plastic,computer controlled,fuel injected,and not lasting more than 15 years is way better than anything being made right now that normal people can afford. thats why i like my crappy little buggy to work on and cause i live in the bay area of SF so all the cars at my high school have like 22's and a fancy paint job or are a big tall trucks thats useless on the road, so i stand out with a lowered VW thats got a low rumble and spray paint primer from the 80s then sat in a falling apart shack with holes in the roof for 24+ years. Thats what i like

right on man! nothing says different and cool like a lowered bug amongst all the plastic an wasted money. 8) i like my 1995 chevy s-10. its not much, and its purple, but it gets me around and i wanna make some mods to it to make it more like what i enjoy. dropped, shaved, and clean.

Marcus, i am just pleased you are into old cars and not what most British kids are driving!! 8)

You'll never win the arguement about the moggy I'm affraid! The figures just do not add up.

You must be the first person to complain that a cars constant evolution is a bad thing! Yes the Aircooled engine changed and went in Hundreds of variants from the type 2 pickup through to some rather splendid coachbuilts.Not even touching on Porsche! Also the reason why the type 1 was built up until 2003 was it's huge popularity. The Beetle was just a part of the story for VW and layed the foundations for what came later. So constant evolution made the V.A.G become what it is today,as for Morris!!

I do concede that the first two door lowlight splitscreen moggys ( don't know what they are called) do look pretty nice. Although it would need to be slammed on Cosmics with a twin cam motor. :D

So marcus, you think I should give up driving My 1964 type 3 'notchback' with its 1641 twin port flat 4 and twin 40 del'lorto carbs. Full Airide equiped 4 inch narrowed beam and running a set of chromed Fuch's + lots of period correct accessorries and fender skirts,like this...

Picture054-1.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

For a Womens institute grocery cart like this...

untitled-8.jpg

eeeerm,no!! :wink:

masterpoop63 said:
ok im taking back my thread by saying ANYTHING made before cars became plastic,computer controlled,fuel injected,and not lasting more than 15 years is way better than anything being made right now that normal people can afford. thats why i like my crappy little buggy to work on and cause i live in the bay area of SF so all the cars at my high school have like 22's and a fancy paint job or are a big tall trucks thats useless on the road, so i stand out with a lowered VW thats got a low rumble and spray paint primer from the 80s then sat in a falling apart shack with holes in the roof for 24+ years. Thats what i like

I totaly agree. :D

And may I apologise on behalf of the british people for hyjacking your thread.

Sorry!

al. :D

Latest posts

Back