American Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's TV therefore it's all fake anyway.

"Reality" shows are all staged to the max for entertainment value.

I watched those interviews with Jessie James on the OCC show site and he said half the cars and bikes they built on his show were crap because of the ridiculous time constraints on the projects.

dos cruiser said:
I have a friend that does restorations in his two car garage and makes these guys look like a 10 year old with a rattle can. His chrome is triple plated copper then polished before chromed, the chrome looks real deep.
His frames starts out sandblasted & sanded then primed 2 to 3 times, then painted twice & polished to a mirror finish. About $1500 and better than new. Sometimes they almost look to good.

Dude get your friend to join this forum. I'm sure there are people here that would like to get stuff chromed

kingsting said:
... or all the orange peel on the front fender when they were showing the new ornament?

Funny thought, I was in 'X' brand car dealership getting service last week and one of their shiny new models on the showroom floor, MSRP $102,000.... had orange peel ALLLLL over the trunk lid.
You'd think for a hundred and two thousand you could get a car without orange peel.....

Tailwinds said:
kingsting said:
... or all the orange peel on the front fender when they were showing the new ornament?

Funny thought, I was in 'X' brand car dealership getting service last week and one of their shiny new models on the showroom floor, MSRP $102,000.... had orange peel ALLLLL over the trunk lid.
You'd think for a hundred and two thousand you could get a car without orange peel.....

I actually got a funny story about orange peel. I had a '62 VW baja beetle that I was planing to spray in a burnt tangerine orange with gold metal flake. Well long story short I got a little too antsy about getting it done and the whole car ended up orange peeled. The car looked like a big orange so I got some blue and white paint and painted "Sunkist" on the doors. Most awesome car I ever had the privilege of owning. Wish I could find the pictures of it.

Out,Now you just turned on the Way Back Machine...

We had a carpet place around here called Remnent King.

They had V-Dubs covered in Shag Carpet.

They called them Rug Bugs!

Tailwinds said:

I bet it was Dodge. :lol: I have nothing bad against Chrysler! It's just my family's '01 Durango that is a bit... orange peely. :mrgreen:

Thanks for not ripping on Mopars or WE would be Fighting! ^ (HEH)

Yeah...Im a MOPAR Man.

'64 Dodge 330 Super Stock replica with Trips.

'75 Plymouth Scamp with a Slant.

It wasn't Dodge. It was brought to you by the folks that invented the Autobahn. Frankly they should know better.

I grew up in a GM household/family, but after owning several Chevys I prefer Chryslers and Jeeps and have been buying them since 1997. Their interiors are engineered better, using better materials, and assembled better, and it shows.

Back on topic, it's gotta be tough being an expert at restoring EVERYTHING. We're accustomed to the minutia of bicycles, but they've got to be prepared to tackle anything, I'll give them credit for that.

Yeah I like Mopar too. Old Mopar anyway, the newer stuff just isn't what it used to be and to me doesn't live up to the "Massively Over Powered And Respected" motto that is MOPAR. And I can get a MUCH better car than the Viper for the price. I would still love to find a Prowler someday and rat it out and cram a Hemi or V10 in it. :mrgreen:

Tailwinds said:
It was brought to you by the folks that invented the Autobahn.
Hey now I like German cars. I'd take another Mercedes 240D any day over a Chrysler. And I drive a VW that I have had no complaints out of.

After dozens of Brit cars I settled into being a BMW owner, now six cars later I would not have anything else as a daily driver (assuming I could still afford one). I still have one Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite but the rest of the Brit cars and motorcycles are long gone. And I hate to say it but my one lone American car a full sized Ford E150 surf and bike van has been very reliable.

c.p.odom said:
I settled into being a BMW owner

That's unfortunately the moniker I'm referring to. It was a brand new 650i, $102k, covered with orange peel... BMW is SUPPOSED to have a pretty good paint process, buuuuut. :roll:

My daily driver is a Chrysler/Jeep, 1/4 million miles on it now, I bought it new, it will last a couple more years.

My wife has an 'M' BMW, it's incredible. It's out of warranty now but the service we still receive from the dealer is bar-none.

I'd have to say out of all the vehicles I've owned or driven my '87 Toyota king cab 4x4 was by far the toughest. Hit 3 deer, a dodge ram, flipped 3 times off road, bogged in mud well over the hood, Ran great through it all and that was after 250,000 miles of whatever the first 20 owners put it through. Those 22R motors are bulletproof. Best $500 I ever spent.

Top gear even did a documentary on trying to kill one. Pretty funny stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

What irks me the most is that they don't even have proper tools. They don't use a bike stand. They flip the bike over. They don't use actual bike tools to do any of the work. AND did any of you notice how they shortened the chain on the Hopalong bike?! A CUTOFF WHEEL!!! Seriously!!! A chain tool costs less than $10. I think the work they do on bikes is a joke. I would be embarrassed to say the least.

outskirtscustoms said:
I'd have to say out of all the vehicles I've owned or driven my '87 Toyota king cab 4x4 was by far the toughest. Hit 3 deer, a dodge ram, flipped 3 times off road, bogged in mud well over the hood, Ran great through it all and that was after 250,000 miles of whatever the first 20 owners put it through. Those 22R motors are bulletproof. Best $500 I ever spent.

Top gear even did a documentary on trying to kill one. Pretty funny stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

1987 toyota xtra cab 4x4 right here. The only thing I don't like about my truck is that horrible blue color. That's why I don't wash it very often!

About the show I think its pretty good because it seems like they are running a low budget business and working with what they have. Just like me. Minus business just low budget everything!

If that were a RRB member, here is how the episode would go; client comes in with a '40s cruiser, shows it to a RRB member, RRB member looks it over for a minute, passes it back to the customer and says, "here, it's ready, no charge." Length of episode, 3 minutes, counting commercials.

ohdeebee said:
What irks me the most is that they don't even have proper tools. They don't use a bike stand. They flip the bike over. They don't use actual bike tools to do any of the work. AND did any of you notice how they shortened the chain on the Hopalong bike?! A CUTOFF WHEEL!!! Seriously!!! A chain tool costs less than $10. I think the work they do on bikes is a joke. I would be embarrassed to say the least.

I second this! I dont like watching that show at all, but then to see him work on a rare bike, I was floored to see that hopalong bike bill was like 2400$! Whats sad is, a "restoration" done by that guy makes that bike actually worth something according to people, but lets be real, he is no bike guy! He shouldnt be someone who can put the value back into a bike, he is no carol shelby of bicycles! Come on!

Sorry, rant is over.

Back