American Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I wouldn't pay $2500 for the bike restored! :? Let alone to get it restored. Some people just got too much money. :roll:

I would not let these guys touch a bike of mine. They are hacks. Did you see the episode where they left the brake strap off of a coaster brake bike?

Must have missed that one. In reality any idiot with the right tools can do the same thing they do and make it look just as good for 1/10th the price. I mean who spends $2500 to restore a bicycle? for $250 I'd do it and make it look just as nice and probably ride BETTER! :mrgreen:

The More Money Than Brains Club.

Hey thats HIS money if thats what he wants to do with it.

How did that bike survive the FAT MAN or LITTLE BOY?

use to be surprised at how cheaply he would do things but it seams to me the more fame he gets the more the prices are going up.
Was it me or did the spacing on the fenders look way off?

Where does he get that number! :shock: It's a Japanese work bike not a Blue Bird :roll:

I love the latest episode where the young son "works" hard on his 65 Chevy truck. I'm sure other 16 year olds, have access to a shop full of guys with all the right equipment to restore a full car in one episode?
Someone in the last Cyclone Coaster ride told my wife they had some stuff done by them and they were not happy with the results.

I'd do a full blown restoration on that bike for about $250. And that would include breaking it down to every nut and bolt, cleaning and polishing everything, re-assembly, tuning, truing, and it would be perfect and purdy when I was done. :mrgreen:

I do not think they are that far off on the price, I just think they are a long way off on experience and quality. I am sure a place like Cyclart would charge something in that price range but the results would be mind blowing. I am not judging if the bike was worth a restoration.

c.p.odom said:
I do not think they are that far off on the price, I just think they are a long way off on experience and quality. I am sure a place like Cyclart would charge something in that price range but the results would be mind blowing. I am not judging if the bike was worth a restoration.

^ This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

How much do you guys think a REAL restoration costs??? All components bead blasted, grinding, smoothing, glazing applied. Fenders smoothed and glazed (several times). Acquire the CORRECT missing/broken pieces. Chrome work that frequently approaches a grand alone. Apply automotive paints correctly. Many, many, many hours of work.

There is a mere handful of guys in the U.S. that have dedicated themselves to restoring bikes "professionally". Check out how much they charge for the service. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is in no way my defense of the costs, I think it's pricey too. Then again, people have paid me to fix/improve/refresh their bikes, so..... glass houses ya'know.

c.p.odom said:

+1

perhaps it should just be called 'american refurbishing'....... :wink:

I have a friend that does restorations in his two car garage and makes these guys look like a 10 year old with a rattle can. His chrome is triple plated copper then polished before chromed, the chrome looks real deep.
His frames starts out sandblasted & sanded then primed 2 to 3 times, then painted twice & polished to a mirror finish. About $1500 and better than new. Sometimes they almost look to good.

The guy who had the hopalong cassidy bike done by them is a member on the cabe now. He said the job was not well done and that he was already looking for someone to do it right. I'm not sure how active he is on the site, but it looked like it was legitimately the same person.

As far as my estimate of $250, that does not include chrome. That is merely tear down, cleaning, any chrome would get an OA bath and bring back what is originally there, original paint cleaned, and polish it up as best I can. In other words restoring what is there. "Aged Restoration" If it needed chrome work done, paint and make it look as it did on day one out of the factory then it depends on how bad the bike is and the price goes up more than most are willing to pay.

If you saw my blue 1968 Schwinn Hollywood that is what I'd do for $250 and it looks good.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48412

While his pricing may be more than what most on here would pay this is what he does for a living. I bet his rates are in the same ball park as others that do that type of work. I don't believe that there are a lot of people doing professional restorations for a living.

A small detail that some touched on was the fact that with the right tools many could do the same. Those tools cost money to acquire and maintain, its also cost money to have a facility from where you execute the work and finally employees to help do some of the work. All that stuff adds to be become overhead that the customer end up paying for. After all that is covered then you make your profit.

Like myself many of us on here would do this a restoration for cost just because its a hobby for most and something you enjoy. I'm sure if you did this for a living and did not have much completion your rates would be competitive to the market you serve. People have to make a living specialy living in Vegas where stuff is not cheap.

My 2 cents.... may not be worth much just some what a different perspective

I've been impressed with the vending machines that they have done.

I think there was a milk machine that they restored and it turned out pretty nice.

Nobody noticed that they never replaced or fabricated the "Pie plate" for the chain case? They just left it off. How about the big dent in the pedal when they showed the close up of the new pedal blocks, or all the orange peel on the front fender when they were showing the new ornament? How about the cheap 70's department store bike Troxel saddle they recovered?

Latest posts

Back