Aluminati (feels like an abandoned amusement park in here!))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -InSta-Drrrrop!-

Today is a good day! It's 71 deg. Here in Denver and I got a great deal on a used office chair with a 5" -11" pneumatic cylinder.
Those thrift stores have been good to me!
IMG_0329.jpg

the magic Button!
IMG_0331.jpg

Placement...I will have to build a few leather padded mounting brackets and a stop for the shaft so it does not rotate.
IMG_0335.jpg

and my inverted brake levers came in today! but they are too large for my handle bars. I am going to tig a larger diameter aluminum section from a larger handlebar to the ends of the bar to fit the levers.
IMG_0333.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -(((((InSta-DrrrrOp))))))!-

nice inverted levers where did you get those from if you dont mind me asking? :shock:

Zombie King said:
nice inverted levers where did you get those from if you dont mind me asking? :shock:

you can get them on amazon/ebay. they usualy have them new for buy it now for $25 but i waited for a set to go up in an auction to get them for about half. I have been watching a set of vintage ones for a few months. no one was bidding and they kept coming back on so i bid on them hoping to get them for under $20 but they went for $65. Ohh Well. i took the logos off these ones to make them look older.

tig welded the straight bar back in today.
cut two pieces and placed them in snug.
IMG_0336.jpg

then hot glued them together!
IMG_0337.jpg

now i have some filing and finish polishing tomorrow night
IMG_0338.jpg

Then My Wife Elizibeth and I Went down town To meet up with the Denver Cruisers N eat at ((Illegal Petes))!

Lovely job on the welding. I wish mine was anywhere close to that.

Mmmm. Illegal petes... I missed out on that part of the ride. Was trying to pack for a trip to crested butte this eve. Maybe I'll see you around (though I don't like the huge crowds on the summer rides).

Cruised the rest of your build post. Excellent work. Still can’t wrap my head around the fork/chair/my bike is now kneeling thing, but I know you’re going to pull it off and it’ll be ........ Funny how our choice of rims are exactly opposite. Perfect weld. Continue the great work

today i shaved about 3/16" off the face of the brake caliper to clear the crank arm.
you can see the deference. in the before and after pictures.
IMG_0303.jpg

i polished a set of stainless low profile allen bolts to clear about an 1/8"
then countersunk and shortened the the brake pad set nut and bolt.
IMG_0368.jpg

you can see i have about 2MM clearance from the caliper to the crank arm and a smoother looking Streamlined caliper!
IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG*(((disc brake crank)))update

i also picked up an 18 tooth surly rear cog today. i have a problem that i have to solve! when i apply the brakes on my crank it will unthread the cog. i think i will drill 4 set screws in to lock the cog in place. i was thinking about wiring it locked like wiring lug nuts locked on a track car. the only problem with wiring is that lug nuts don't wave pressure against them. the wire is just to keep them from unthreading. and i will have all of the braking pressure against it.
IMG_0372.jpg

does anyone else have any ideas on how to keep the cog from unwinding?

Wow!

Thanks for the close up pics. I understand it a bit better.
It's still rather out there (a good thing) and can't figure it all out quite yet.

What type of stem is on top on page 6?

The office chair pneumatics are awesome. You've got skills.

The front fork looks really professional. The front suspension is so well done.

Looking forward to more.

I know you got those super shiny hubs and all, but why not a track or flip flop hub with the extra reverse threading for the lock ring?

yoothgeye said:
I know you got those super shiny hubs and all, but why not a track or flip flop hub with the extra reverse threading for the lock ring?
I picked up the hubs for looks/price thinking that i would have to modify them to make it work. i am new to this style hub and found out after the fact that fixed hubs would have been a bolt on solution. any way .. there's nothing a little re-engineering can't fix.

imagearchy said:
. . . when i apply the brakes on my crank it will unthread the cog.
IMG_0372.jpg

I really want to see you make this work . . . it's gonna look soooooooo cool when it's rollin'.
I don't need to tell ya that, depending on how fast/hard you will be riding ( BRAKING ), there will be mucho torque on that sprocket/hub interface . . . i'd be a bummer to have it let go at the wrong time!
TIG the sprocket to the hub! :p (be fun to lace that wheel :roll: )

Instead of drilling the set-screw holes into the cog to bear down on the threads of the hub, maybe you could drill into the threads of the sprocket AND the hub, parallel to the axle, and tap the holes for small set screws . . . so the set screws are going in from the side of the hub. You would have almost the same effect as keyways.
If you go with a mechanical attachment (your set-screw idea), use plenty of RED Locktite on everything! :wink:

Keep up the good work . . it's lookin' good! 8)

imagearchy said:
i also picked up an 18 tooth surly rear cog today. i have a problem that i have to solve! when i apply the brakes on my crank it will unthread the cog. i think i will drill 4 set screws in to lock the cog in place. i was thinking about wiring it locked like wiring lug nuts locked on a track car. the only problem with wiring is that lug nuts don't wave pressure against them. the wire is just to keep them from unthreading. and i will have all of the braking pressure against it.
IMG_0372.jpg

Could you simply put the sprockets on the left side?

if i put it on the left side it would unwind when i pedaled and the frame crank tube is offset to the right to get the chain to clear the ream tire.

Dude,your build is awesome!Wait,does that mean I only have some awe?Or should I say awful since I am full of awe?I'll just say your build is incredible :shock: :!: From previous pics,I thought you were using the hydraulic cylinder to replace the beat up frame tube you removed.Mad fabrication skills. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've got to get a welder.....and some skills!!Keep away from the box..............

Back