Aluminati (feels like an abandoned amusement park in here!))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* (((the Try-ANGLE)))

think i am going with my original idea? 4 set screws through the cog then into the hub. although i am going to wait until the very last thing to do on this build.
I know something might come up if i'd rush it and i will regret it.
IMG_0384-scem.jpg

the set will probably only go in about 3mm. the illustration shows them a little long/narrow. the angle will have to be a little less too.

Hey Imagearchy,

I think you can pull it off the set screws.
Like you say, take your time.
I might still put some Loctite on the threads of both the gear and set screws.
Deorman mentioned green. I haven't use that yet.
It sounds like green wicks into the threads better than others.
I have used two other when I was an auto mech.
Red, which usually takes heat to get loose
Blue, that can be unscrewed with much effort.

Good Luck!!

Looking forward to seeing your next installment.

Hey Imagearchy,
I'm totally diggin' your build and can't wait to see it finished.Lot's of cool ideas and details on this one.I am dyin' to see your fork!As for your fixed gear dillema:Why not try the simplest solution first?Find the strongest loc-tite and give it a go.When applied correctly,that stuff is very strong.I may be wrong,but I think they make a product where they warn you that you better be sure you want the thing to stay fastened.I don't remember what color it is though.I was looking for the proper product to use on a project and remember seeing something like that and I thought about needing to take it apart someday.(I had to replace the shifter bosses on my road bike)I went with the red instead.Also,what kind of speeds do you plan on riding your bike?Try the simplest solution and test it out a bit on flat terrain before you go rippin' down hills to make sure it'll hold.What's the worst that can happen?

When I saw your future build tease,I thought about a crazy mid-90's carbon mountain frame that has been popping up on CL from time to time.I've thought about buying it for a cruiser build.But someone already guessed and was wrong.My guess is BAMBOO.
Happy Independence Day!!

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* (((Born in the Wrong Generation)))

i was running through some of my stuff trying to find some parts for my build and found a few things that remind me of how wasteful and un-resourceful the human race has become. I have been collecting objects that i like for several reasons it could be i like the shape or the texture. maybe the fonts that someone used when designing it. most of all i like items that do simple tasks but seem very complexly engineered for what they are doing.

Here i have a Vintage Rainbow airbrush that you would hook-up to your vacuum cleaners blower attachment. sure beats a Wagner power painter when it comes to cost. it looks like it could do mach 1 and whoever figured out that you could creat a vacuum by blowing air across a tube was pure genius!
IMG_0387.jpg

now i have a Clip-less paper fastener. it cuts, folds and threads two sheets of paper through its self to attach them together.
it eliminated the price of staples reduces waist and makes me smile every time i use it!
IMG_0389.jpg

what happened!
we have tools that make life so simple yet.
we have tools that make life complex.
we have tools that can save a life and we have tools that can take a life.

i prefer the tools that let us enjoy life. So i am going to quit squawking and get back to building my bicycle!

here is what i was looking for! a couple of stainless induction vents from boat yard i picked up about two years ago knowing i might use them someday because they looked cool.
IMG_0391.jpg

and a roll of 3/16 thick raw leather!
IMG_0392.jpg

I think they might make a really cool tank/gas shock cover for the (((AluMiNaTy)))

I will have to carve a couple of 2x4s to make some molds to soak and form the tank.
I am going to be cutting it close on this build????

Great idea for a tank. And wonderful to see the repurposing of other peoples unwanted materials. 8)

It is great feeding off of the creativity and backyard engineering that is all over this site. Can't wait to see your leather tank.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( Wasting TiMe )))

today i spent my time filing sanding and polishing my pedals... little to my knowledge...
they did't fit my crank!!!!! 4#@%!#& $#!^ I was a little upset!!!

any one interested in a nice set of aluminum pedals?
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

finally got something done today! it's a lot more work than you would think to convert a multiple speed campy hub to a locked single speed...I had to shorten the hub axle and the quick release lever rod a half inch and cut out the spacer for the multiple gear set up.
then i had to thread the release rod another 3/8" to compensate for the thread lost.
well at least i am one step closer to a functional rear hub!
IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

At least you ended up with a sweet set of pedals.Sorry you can't use them for your build :( :( I feel your pain.Time is our most valuable resource;you don't know how much you've got and when it's gone,you don't get it back.Sell 'em on CL to a hipster to buy some to fit your bike.I assume your pedals are 9/16 and your crank is 1/2".They have some sweet copper ones at Cycle Analyst,and others you may be interested in for your build.I am diggin' this build and can't wait to see what you're doing with your fork.I also love the Bug in the background :!:And killer guitars in previous pics!Great build,keep rockin' :!:

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( SprInGeR )))

mocking up the springer fork. I finished turning the factory silverking aluminum fork into a springer fork.
IMG_0421.jpg

and mounted the tires to my wheels. I decided to go with narrow rims instead of 2.5" rims.
I like the fact that the tires look fatter with these rims. i am using a set of mockup hubs right now.
IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

I am ditching the gas shock for this build and am building another custom frame that better suits it..
I am afraid the aluminum Monark frame can't handle the tork/pressure. I think this bike will still be killer without it.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( the GrEaT LigHt DeBaTe!)))

I am pondering what headlight to use.... would anyone like to debate the contest?

in corner one weighing in a 5oz. the modern oval trailer light manufactured on the mid 90s
( i will have to make the back case for this light.)
IMG_0426.jpg

and on the opposing corner The Original Vintage, Internally Double D powered, aftermarket,
Made in the good ol' U.S. of A. in the 50s weighs a ton but's lots-O-fun. Chromed Steel headlight.
( i will have to make a lens, reflector shield and bulb housing for this one.
IMG_0427.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( a-Couple-a LiGhT WieGhTs )))

My vote would be for the 50's light, but only because it will be more work for you and you seem to like it :D(more work that is)

Your bike is coming along great so far. Bummer about the fork, but there is always "the next bike"

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( a-Couple-a LiGhT WieGhTs )))

That oval trailer is pretty cool, but I think the fatness of the 50s light looks better with your build.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( WhAt TiMe iS iT! )))

its time to break some stuff and make some stuff!
flashlight reflector
IMG_0431.jpg

an hour at the ARC to find this lens off of an old wind up alarm clock
IMG_0435.jpg

the bubble packaging from the brake cables i bought from Wally World (walmart)
and a knockoff wingnut off of and old air cleaner
IMG_0439.jpg

the Aluminaty will be (LiT)!
IMG_0445.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( Can I See your BaDge OfFicer? )))

just sent my badge design to Jones & Son! They do good work!!!
SilverKingBadge.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* ((( Can I See your BaDge OfFicer? )))

Isnt this cutting it a bit close to have a headbadge made? your a brave man. really like the headlight idea and your bike is simply a work of art.

Latest posts

Back