1936 elgin MOVED TO THE GALLERY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1936 elgin build

Yeah i made a specific trip to a paint place and bought the 000 brush ....then drove 20 miles to an art store and bought the 1 shot sign painters paint. Then to the hardware to get the mineral spirits.Got it all ready and came to the quick conclusion that my hand is about as steady as a drunk with the dt's. I have seen them do it a hundred times. Had a friend that use to stripe at car shows ,and I use to watch him for hours.I might as well been trying to stripe with a stick tied to my nose. :cry:

oh its ok man, i bet im not the hottest at striping either. to do it you gotta get that stuff, striping brush, 1 shot enamel, and mineral spirits. oh and dont forget the glossy magazine to load the brush! if only here was a place near me that sold it, id get it all. :(

I was thinking about where you said when you get to the end and mess up a line and have to wipe it off. man that would be bad. Seems like once I had a problem it just got worse. I painted one line 10 times . I should have just gotten away from it for a while. ...And I was just doing single lines. :roll: Maybe my talents lie in airbrushing :D

Well Its pretty much stuck together. Really needs a tan seat and some tan grips. If I can get my seat recovered ill do it in tan. have to look for the grips.

tanelgin001.jpg

tanelgin002.jpg

maddogrider said:
Maybe you should just have a couple shots of whiskey before you start :mrgreen:

I was thinking more like some Twinkies. :mrgreen:

Looks good. I like the use of the alternative color schemes.

Looking good, the old lady says the wheels don't match the frame. I'm colorblind so I have no idea.

I have never been so unhappy with a build. I like the frame color ....I like the pinstripe color ...I love the rim color and the tires...but once all together ,it looks terrible. I'm going to pull it back apart tomorrow and start over. I'm thinking ill paint the frame the same color as the rims or else a dark emerald green. I dont plan on taking two rims apart and repainting them. Somewhere I missed it. I guess you cant always hit it everytime. If you dont make choices kinda out of the box then you will miss out on some cool color combinations. should have painted the frame black...hard to go wrong with black or red. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Don't paint it right away! Wait a week, see if it GROWS on ya. It doesn't look bad, I kinda like it.

KOTA said:
Don't paint it right away! Wait a week, see if it GROWS on ya. It doesn't look bad, I kinda like it.
I have done that before ...stayed with a girl with a really good personality for 6 months...problem was after 6 months she was still ugly. :cry: You can paint over an ugly paint job in minutes...a light roughing up and spray spray spray. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For some reason tiki I think the tan fat franks will have to have a certain color to look good . I have lots of sets of black wheels,chrome wheels and red wheels . If I was going to change the color of the rims I would tear them down and respoke them after I painted them. Probably will try painting the frame something that will go with both tires and wheel color.I just missed it. Not a big deal. You cant always get it right ,but you can fix a mistake. :lol:

Back