1936 elgin MOVED TO THE GALLERY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this bike from Necessaryevil and I kinda got started today. I cleaned the lobdell tripple step rims and painted them a kinda aqua color. Relaced both rims and then started removing the patina from the frame. Hey everybody knew it was coming. :roll: I painted the frame a dark burgandy color. This is just a mockup so far but you can kinda tell where its going. Still have alot of work ...painting the darts and everything ...should be finished in a day or so. :wink: enjoy! Hummm the pictures remind me I need to mow the yard. Where is my snow when I need it. :cry:

nebuild001.jpg

Re: 1936 elgin build

Uncle Stretch said:
Where is my snow when I need it. :cry:

It's all up here in the Northeast! and if I could I'd send it all down. I like the color choices, it is a very nice combination.

Unchained said:
I like the color choices, it is a very nice combination
Im going to use silver for the darts and hopefully it will bring it all together. I 'm using the aqua on the wheels just to offset the tan tires. silver rims would have been too normal. :?

Diggin the color man and wheel and tire combo
Oh yea i havent even looked at my lawn mower for a few months, take that smarty pants. :lol:

Hey thanks all. I painted the rims last night and decided on the dark red today . Was going to redo the wheels to white but the wifey said I should leave the colors the way they were . still had my doubts until I got the frame painted and it looks pretty good together so far.We will have to see if it holds up. Was even thinking a pale yellow for the darts. Bought a stripping brush and some yellow 1 shot but I'm not so vane that I think I can learn how to stripe in a few days. Not acceptable anyway. Ill see tomorrow what I can do on some old fenders. Maybe I can do a few lines that may work ...nothing fancy.Gotta start somewhere. :shock:

Man i love the bike ,one day when i get the nerve im gonna try to build a frame similar to this out of a girls 10 speed i have ..since i cant seem to find a frame like this anywhere,or you could just sell me this one Uncle. Ive already got the tires ,wish there was a way to get the writting off of them and that reflective strip also. If you or anyone else has a frame like this they would like to sell please p.m . me Thanks . Love that color

welcome to the purdy tire club! :D musta got that tax return already,cause those sure aint no $4 tires! :mrgreen: i`ve still got a pair of blackwall fat franks,i have`nt used yet. guess i`ll use them in the next buildoff! :D btw,the bike looks awesome as usual! :wink:

These frame are really not rare. Seems like I run on them alot lately. This is my second in a month. Necessaryevil had this one with tires and rims all I have done is clean it up some and paint it. Insomniac watch the classifieds ...of course your gonna have to be fast. :lol: I probably would never spend that kind of money on tires,but have always wanted some. It made me happy. :lol: :lol: Glad everybody likes the paint so far.

Uncle i stay up all night till my eyes are starting to bleed looking ,waiting,clicking till i cant take it no more and have to take a nap only to wake up and find someone has posted a bike id give my left $%&*$ to have . When i saw the elgin and the price for it i couldnt believe my eyes, then i saw pm sent the words that strike fear in the hearts of all ratrodders....Maybe someday youll feel sorry for me and sell me that bike or find me a frame like it lol..Great bike .Ive got more projects going than i could ever finish in one life time just like i like it. If it ever gets warm on a day i have off ill start powdercoating some parts for the 45 roadmaster and my t bucket. Im gonna have to redneck up an extension cord for 220 so i can plug my stove into the house outlet through the window into the kitchen lol, my wife wont let me bring in the old stove and i dont have 220 in the garage yet. Also just bought a bead blasting cabinet i need to put together .

Looking really good so far. What about painting the darts tan and a tan seat to match the tires.

I got kinda creative yesterday and put some pinstripes on the frame. I have alot higher appreciation for anybody that can even do a simple straight line with a pinstripe brush and some paint. It sounds stupid ,but before I was done I got really good at wiping paint off of a frame and then maybe something happened to my brain and I couldnt even tell which way the brush was right. needless to say its a poor excuse for pinstripping but I may leave them ,because I did it. lol.

stripe001.jpg

Stripes look good for a first attempt. You gonna use the tall spring saddle on this?

Yeah Im still trying to figure out a way to recover it in leather. They make a pocket sewn on the inside around the front and the after they slide the pan in they sew the back on the outside edge. I'm thinking I can epoxy some hard rubber around the underside edge where i can stapel the leather to it. :?

I tried my hand at pinstriping this weekend on some rims, not good i used Testers modle paint and a brush it looks like i shoulda just taped it off and sprayed it.
Much respect for pinstripers.

Back