Yoothgeye's Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm starting this thread to document any bike rides I go on that I actually remember to take photos during. I thought people might enjoy this based on my love of reading 2 ongoing threads here about rides, and if you haven't read them yet, don't read mine until you've gone through these:

LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride

First Ride in 50+ years

Mine rides won't be nearly as frequent as LocoJoe's nor as inspirational as MplsCoaster's time with "FIL" :wink: but I'll try my best.

Given my penchant for late night mountain bike rides, many rides probably won't be documented since my cameras don't take photos in the dark all that well, and it's doubtful I'll offer an videos until someone gives me or I win a GoPro camera.

Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy what I have to offer.

Today was a special day and these past couple weeks have been kind of emotional for me. My son started kindergarten and that tore me up inside, though he is doing great at it. Then this morning, my 2 year old daughter started preschool and though I thought it would be easy, as I pulled away from the church I was fighting back tears as I held hands with my son and said a prayer for her.

Since my son's first 10 days of kindergarten are every other day it just happened that his "off day" lined up perfectly with his little sister's first day and my day off, that meant from 8:30-11:00 it was just me and Bubby and what do you think he wanted to do? Go for a bike ride of course. So we loaded the bikes on the car and drove to a mid point of the local Canal Trail for a ride. We normally ride from our house to the trail head, but I wanted him to ride a different part today.

Arrived at trail parking:
1C3D0D91-DDFB-49B6-9A72-D3C042118E7B-1117-000000C0F8CD103E.jpg

Put on our helmets and hit the trail, and almost half way into the ride I remembered the camera as we stopped to check out a creek flowing into the Roanoke River.
26DD5F0A-07FD-4865-BFB9-B4DBC9D9A4B5-1117-000000C1BB13DFCD.jpg

Bubby is always happy to smile for the camera:
32689C7E-894C-4C5C-990C-01EE4708F48D-1117-000000C19475CDDE.jpg

Most of the trail is elevated with nasty drop-offs on either side, but he rides great. The history was that there use to be 2 canals and a system of locks. One canal was for transportation and the trail is on the old tow 10 foot wide tow path.
CFAD1399-08D7-4E70-90E0-2A83F86A3916-1117-000000C1A67ABB32.jpg

As you can see, the trail can be pretty rough with lots of rock, or either I took this photo during an earthquake.
958EC79A-F711-4D4C-9C11-8633EC3264AC-1117-000000C19DDC7340.jpg

This part of the trail goes down under Interstate 95 and as I trying to take this photo Austin got in some ruts and I held my breath as his rear tire left the ground and went sideways, then his front tire, then both, but he rode it out:
84A6366D-0397-4B8A-9EBB-864C3F368B4D-1117-000000C1B3C06D46.jpg

We are riding east so you pass under I-95 south bridge then the northbound bridge. There is additional vehicle access to this area so many fishermen and guys looking to go mudding get under the bridges, Bubby liked the mud holes.
A40D696C-3382-4AE9-93CE-133ECAD863F1-1117-000000C16B12E16C.jpg

He was ready to turn back at this point.
This is the single track through a well maintained field behind a large mansion/estate in town called Lion's Watch that was supposed built by some 70s soap opera star. I'll get a picture of the house another time. I can't confirm the soap opera thing, but Will Ferrell's parents live in Roanoke Rapids and he lived here as a young boy.
A04869E7-E00C-46FA-9C3B-7D01A70A1F0C-1117-000000C162AD1898.jpg

E62FD448-0235-4B31-9A1F-4166C1CC23FA-1117-000000C159EE5C93.jpg

About half of the trail keeps you visually connected with the Roanoke River, this is a river sidebar that has more water in it than usual. During the flooding a couple weeks back this river hit it's flood stage for the first time since the 1940s, and actually went about 2-2.5 foot over flood stage, though most of the damage from the flooding wasn't from the river, but from bad drainage in town.
5A7164A3-2E84-4285-9ECA-D3F0426C4137-1117-000000C1456DCD6D.jpg

You can see some signs in this photo, these are all over the trail with information about local plants and trees, wildlife, or historical spots:
54238022-18E7-4934-B6C0-5FD6B1FDD6AF-1117-000000C1009EBB2C.jpg

Also in the last photo right off to the side is a picnic table by a rocky part of the river, a great place for a cool dip during a hot ride, or one night we had to take our bikes and wash the mud from our rims so our brakes would get some bite.

Much of the trail is decently graded and groomed with this crushed gravel/sand stuff. It rides smooth, but can be slick and washes out to bad ruts easily, and it tastes bad... just trust me on this one.
7E47FD8B-8361-43AB-9562-337A64E5DDEC-1117-000000C11AB9883E.jpg

We're both riding rigid, but he's on 16s and I'm on 29s, so he had it nearly twice as rough as me:
32A1DF28-4345-40C5-B723-CC42FD88B7B9-1117-000000C114ACE5B5.jpg

Back at the trail parking area:
848456D6-479B-4AD7-A3A5-0BC6BC0028D9-1117-000000C12FDE3CDE.jpg

(he looks a little like "FIL" here. :lol: )

My sweaty little man and me:
3C888530-70C9-4130-97DE-016B38F4C886-1117-000000C0F2174E85.jpg

Off to Burger King for something cold to drink from their fancy drink machine:
093E6BF4-371E-43CD-AD48-0840EBE7E5C8-1117-000000C0EC12651E.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
Looks like you both had a blast! Awesome trail too.

It is an awesome trail, I want to work on his endurance so he can enjoy the entire trail in 1 ride, it's just over 7 miles 1 way. We've done 5-6 miles at once, but to do the whole trail "round trip" would be about 14 miles.

Yeah Kokomo has a pretty cool trail, about 10 miles. But one way it's all down hill and you can get some outrageous speed. You do need to slow down at one point though or you go right off in the creek...(I know from experience)

Cool ride. He's got some fat little 16s. Looks like he had a great time.
But is he as funny as FIL? :p

kingfish254 said:
Cool ride. He's got some fat little 16s. Looks like he had a great time.
But is he as funny as FIL? :p

Yeah, when I was airing up his tires I noticed they are 16x2.35s I probably should have left them a little slack for the trail, oh well.

As for being funny, he's working on it, but his leading trait now is just being a sweetheart.

Cool thread and awesome that you & your little dude got to have a great time riding, they have signs like those here for our wildlife as well.

aka_locojoe said:
Looks like a great place to ride. So luscious and green compared to here. I'm interested in the tow paths. One of these days we'll ride one.

When you ride one trail enough you kind of forget what it was like your first time riding it and experiencing all the new sights. I really should do a video from one end to the other with stops at some of the historic sites, I have a nice HD Camera (Kodak Zi8) but though it has built in image stabilization, it's no match for the trail. I'm going to the GoPro website right now to register to win one (I do every day).

Thanks for starting this thread and putting together some cool stories and pictures.
I enjoyed your first episode. It's cool to see where others live and how they enjoy it
Your little guy was sure doing good on such a bumpy rode. :shock: :D
Your pictures are exactly the right size, I can't do that for some reason :?
Looking forward to the next adventure
Steve

MplsCoaster said:
Your pictures are exactly the right size, I can't do that for some reason :?
Looking forward to the next adventure
Steve

Thanks!

As for the photos, I didn't resize these, just uploaded them from my iPhone directly to Photobucket with the Photobucket app. When I do resize I usually set them to 800x600 using irfanview ( http://www.irfanview.com/ ) or 640x480 if I really want the file size small.

OK, so when I last left you all it was September 7th, I was happy and healthy for 1 more week until I crashed a pocket bike and tore my shoulder all to pieces (front and rear labral tear, rotator cuff tear, biceps tear, etc...) Then I had surgery a month later and have had physical therapy and lots of recovery time.

Only early in December was I allowed to ride a bike, I rode in the parade only using 1 arm, then a couple days later I was allowed to start using my arm, here's the parade coverage: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66216

So, fast forward, I am now in a weight loss competition with some friends, the end of the competition is July 1st, so I have started eating healthy and cut out snacking, but I needed to get back in the saddle to exercise. My wife allowed me some time in the day, and yesterday after work I hit the trail... it's been a long time. On the last recorded trail ride I rode the canal trail from River road, this time I started at the dam and rode to the river road access, it's a 3.3 mile piece of trail, I didn't have anyone to ride with, but I strapped my new GoPro to my helmet so that I would ride without stopping while documenting a straight through trail ride. It worked well, but produced a 22 minute video, I don't expect any of you to watch it straight through, but for anyone who hasn't seen the trail before and wants to ride it, this might be a nice way to prep.

Along with riding to the trail head and back home on the road I did a 6.7 mile loop, I was beat, but I'm ready to start riding more.

Here's the LONG youtube video if you are interested. No fancy editing or stopping for sight seeing, just me stopping at the beginning, middle, and end to point at the trail map to show where I was and where I was going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7J7Genn ... 8Q&index=1

I rode the trail on my single speed rigid 29er.

yoothgeye said:
OK, so when I last left you all it was September 7th, I was happy and healthy for 1 more week until I crashed a pocket bike and tore my shoulder all to pieces (front and rear labral tear, rotator cuff tear, biceps tear, etc...) Then I had surgery a month later and have had physical therapy and lots of recovery time.

Only early in December was I allowed to ride a bike, I rode in the parade only using 1 arm, then a couple days later I was allowed to start using my arm, here's the parade coverage: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66216

So, fast forward, I am now in a weight loss competition with some friends, the end of the competition is July 1st, so I have started eating healthy and cut out snacking, but I needed to get back in the saddle to exercise. My wife allowed me some time in the day, and yesterday after work I hit the trail... it's been a long time. On the last recorded trail ride I rode the canal trail from River road, this time I started at the darn and rode to the river road access, it's a 3.3 mile piece of trail, I didn't have anyone to ride with, but I strapped my new GoPro to my helmet so that I would ride without stopping while documenting a straight through trail ride. It worked well, but produced a 22 minute video, I don't expect any of you to watch it straight through, but for anyone who hasn't seen the trail before and wants to ride it, this might be a nice way to prep.

Along with riding to the trail head and back home on the road I did a 6.7 mile loop, I was beat, but I'm ready to start riding more.

Here's the LONG youtube video if you are interested. No fancy editing or stopping for sight seeing, just me stopping at the beginning, middle, and end to point at the trail map to show where I was and where I was going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7J7Genn ... 8Q&index=1 (I do speed up the video when I'm waiting at a crosswalk, but everything else is cut free at normal speed)

I rode the trail on my single speed rigid 29er.

I like the backlit sun light at about 2:24.
Great looking trail to ride!

Did you shoot this one at 960?
Here's a VERY BORING vid I made comparing all of the GoPro Hero 2 video settings.
I made it to help me decide what setting to select, and how it would look compressed on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0Fl8KG2eU

Cool trail, just remember if you see something copper in the woods with hoses coming off of it leave it alone. It's not a drinking fountain. :lol:

Back