Yard Sale Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just picked up this Elgin today, but I don't know much about it. The front wheel is not original, nor is the seat (and probably the grips); and it looks like it's been spray-bombed more than a few times, but it seems solid otherwise. Serial number on the bottom bracket shell is SN 66565. If anyone has any more info on it (year, model, etc.) I'd appreciate it.

9476552444_92280039c2_c.jpg

According to a somewhat knowledgeable source, the last year for the drop-down center stand was 1937. "IF" that is true than it could be a little older than 1940. (?)
I notice the center drop stand locking device is still attached to the rear fender. That's a plus. Find the original center stand for it. I believe Memory Lane Classics make a reproduction one. I think they look good on the old bikes. Nice rear Ladies "dress protector" fender as well. Good find!

That frame design was only built in '40-41. It's a Murray-built frame. Rear dropstands did continue until WWII so the tangs an eyelets on the back could have still been there for bikes that used them.

I've got one nearly identical with the front fender mounted over the fork. Only mine had a straight seat tube and I think it's a little older. Gary

Back