TRADITIONAL Quasi-Motobike : "Cherish is the word"...pg 6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Quasi-Motobike

Everyone has their ‘grail’. For me it has been everything from driving a model of vehicle, playing a cherished guitar or amp, skiing a destination mountain ski area, racing a dream mtn bike, a travel trip, conquering a white water rapids section on a wild river; just to name a few. I have been lucky to have had many fulfilling and rewarding events in my life that have culminated in the ‘grail’ level of experiences.

I have had many fun finds in searching for ideas and styles of builds over the years, preparing for build offs on RRB. Concepts and themes that have driven me to find certain frames to build around, or finding a cool frame and letting that do the talking as far as how it would be realized.

There has always been one style of bike that I have wanted to build / rat-ify / in a rat-storation project. And that is the ‘Motobike’, sometimes in various brands also referred to as ‘Motorbike’. But I like it without the ‘R’, because there is no motor on these facsimiles designed to mimic early motorcycles.

The bicycle motobike is a do-it-all, utilitarian ride, with larger wheel diameters, fenders, lights, rack, and a tool box like tank to hold necessities for long rides. It is a self-supported style of bicycle to be able to keep on riding, over varied surfaces, with efficiency and determination. Not necessarily fast like a road bike or racing bike, but faster than a cruiser. And not a true off road bike with fat, gnarly tires to dig in and aid control. But it can handle gravel and dirt and pavement with it’s large, 28” wheels and ‘skinny fat’ tires.

It’s not unlike it’s four wheeled counterpart from the early 1900’s, the Model T. They were driven everywhere, and were so utilitarian that the model lasted 20 years in production.

And so, I embark on what may be my most challenging build to date. To somehow preserve the history of the motobike, while still adding some nuances to ‘make it my own’. And so I present to you the Quasi-Motobike, because it will be ‘as if’ it were a motobike from the 19-teens and 20’s, but with some RRB BO sauce rubbed in for good measure!

434371245_452744450556406_5452360426751040378_n.jpg
434437232_1103541597524630_8223810279024973801_n.jpg
436481347_1440450206578656_8147099766885192037_n.jpg
436745733_744276047910556_657179997077560937_n.jpg
RRB BO19 front end close up.jpg
RRB BO19 headbadge.jpg

Attachments

• Bars close up.jpg
    Bars close up.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 0
Way cool brother. Longspring, crossbars, rain gutter fenders, dropstand, skippy drive, cool chainring, megarack. I know you will habe fun with this one.

Wow, that is a beautiful starting point!

Interesting history lesson. Does the 28 inch dia wheel correspond to any modern size? Some wild symbolism going on with the head badge. Looks like a very cool project.
I wonder about that too.

The headbadge looks like the Greek Iris with Caduceus. Not sure, but I definitely looks beautiful!

We have 28 inch quite popular on older Canadian bikes some are the Dutch size and others are 700c not sure why but thats how it works here
Very cool bike

Interesting history lesson. Does the 28 inch dia wheel correspond to any modern size? Some wild symbolism going on with the head badge. Looks like a very cool project.

Wow, that is a beautiful starting point!

I wonder about that too.

The headbadge looks like the Greek Iris with Caduceus. Not sure, but I definitely looks beautiful!

We have 28 inch quite popular on older Canadian bikes some are the Dutch size and others are 700c not sure why but thats how it works here
Very cool bike
Thanks guys! The original 28" wheel size is very close to the modern 700c wheel size. In most cases, they share the same BSD, Bead Seat Diameter, where the bead of the tire actually 'seats' (clinches) into the rim. That measurement is the 622 number found embossed in the tire side wall. However, some of the older 28" wheels have a BSD of 635, which is much larger and a 700c tire would never fit on it. Likewise, there are a few tires, like the Schwalbe ones I bought to use on '51 Skinny and Single Schwinn Racer I built a couple years back, that have the 635 BSD and won't clinch on a 700c wheel. I was hoping they would fit this Motobike, but mine has the 700c size wheel.

RRB BO19 tires.jpg

So, the mystery game of 'RRB Clue' that we have been playing on the 'sniffing BO 19 ' thread up to this point, is trying to determine the manufacturer of this Hawthorne De Luxe motobike. Both the Cleveland Welding Co and Snyder / DP Harris produced motobikes for the Montgomery Wards Hawthorne brand. However, from what I have found after weeks of perusal on the internet parameters, is that my capital I prefix to the serial number on my bottom bracket was never used by either of those two companies.

Serial number 2.jpg

The alphabet letter followed by four numerical digits is for sure before 1930, likely late 'teens or 20's. And was possibly used by the Westfield Co. manufacturer. But that is still undetermined.

There are some slight frame differences, like the slope of the top tube which varies from more of an angle to a more rounded curve. Also the junction of the seat tube, down tube, and chain stays at the BB can be telltales, I guess.

I'm not super interested in nailing down all the specifics of this bike's origin, technical wise. But it does have a history, and that will be played out in this thread along the way!

RaT oN~!

those creme Schwalbe Delta Cruisers look good on bikes like this. Bike in the background has them:

rats.JPG

those creme Schwalbe Delta Cruisers look good on bikes like this. Bike in the background has them:

View attachment 263779
IF they fit your wheels. They don't fit these original ones, or a sample at the bike shop of the new 700c coaster wheelset I ordered. Would have loved to use them.

wow, they don't fit your 700c wheels? That seems odd.

The wheels pictured on my bike are a set built by Lux Lo Bikes. They are imported from Austria 700c rims laced to very close to NOS New Departure hubs. I believe the bike had 28" wheels when new.

Those tires do look great on early bikes. I've got a set on my oldest bike. Make unknown, thought to be aughts or teens. The rims are faux wood painted 700c with a 2 speed kickback hub. Really fun to ride but I need to flip the handlebars for a more humane riding position. :21:
IMG_1258.JPG

Fantastic bike, OJ. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you RaTifY it!

wow, they don't fit your 700c wheels? That seems odd.

The wheels pictured on my bike are a set built by Lux Lo Bikes. They are imported from Austria 700c rims laced to very close to NOS New Departure hubs. I believe the bike had 28" wheels when new.
The Schwalbe tires I have are a 635 BSD as opposed to the 622 of 98% of 700c wheels.

Back