wretched 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also say get it on the road and enjoy it! Perfection is illusive, always one step away... :) Looks like it will be a cool bike! Nice job! :D

Re: wretched 2-tail lights

Thought I was done welding on the frame when I remembered I needed to add the brackets for the tail lights.
Used some cut offs from the rear triangle of the frame and some Harley turn signals I found at a junk shop for $2.00.
Any one know if I can get red covers for them?
taillight1-1.jpg

taillight2.jpg

Here is the concept for my handlebars. Was originally going to use an ape hanger style but after watching an episode of "Bike Build Off" and seeing Zero Enginerings bike with a more lower racing look decided to try that.
I like the look but do have some flex due to the fact I only had 3/16 bar stock to create the riser. Really needed 1/4 inche. May need to weld another piece of stright to it to thicken it up??
Need to cut off some of the stem. Any suggestions as to the easiest way?
handlebardetail.jpg

handlebarcloseup.jpg

FULL VIEW OF BIKE
fullbike.jpg

shortening the stem... move your threaded bearing cone up to the point where you need to cut off the top to fit your lock nut. use a hacksaw to cut off the extra threads using the cone as a guide for a nice straight line. when you get it cut off spin down the cone out of the way and use a file to bevel the top just a bit. last back off the cone to clean the threads.

g-ratter said:
Any suggestions as to the easiest way?

handlebarcloseup.jpg

Weld some 1/4 stock between the goose necks. Or build your self a WWII gunner sight in between them.

A little early to be creating details since I still need to work out the crank and chain set up. But knew I wanted to have this kind of headlight on it since finding the picture of an old motorcycle with an oil lamp headlight and seeing some posts about people interested in the idea also. So sticking with the theme of working with what you have I came up with this idea.
Still need to wire it but want to create a copper tubing battery holder like I recently saw on "New world order" but thought I would share this for now.

FRONT VIEW
lamp_front.jpg

REAR VIEW
lamp_back.jpg

MOUNTING DETAIL
lamp_detail.jpg

Re: wretched 2-the good and the bad

Ah, the yin and yang of life. Since I do not have a bike stand while working on the rear fender the bike took a tumble and I cracked one of the riser welds. I gues better now then later when I am riding it. So back to the drawing boards on that.
Now the good news. Have the rear fender all together. Need paint but thought I would share. A friend gave me a set of fenders from a skinny tire bike. Instead of just being round they had a nice cove running down the edge that I really liked. But (surprise, surprise) I wanted it to look more like the motorcycle fenders that are flatter across the top.
So to acheive that and winden it ip to fit my tire I added 1 inch to the middle using 22 gauge steel. I think the pictures explain.

FENDER AS GIVEN TO ME.
RFShot1.jpg

CUT DOWN THE MIDDLE
RFshot2.jpg

FIRST HALF WELDED
RFshot3.jpg

BOTH HALVES TOGETHER
RFshot4.jpg

MOUNTED ON BIKE
RFshot5.jpg

Was able to modify the brace and one of the original mounts. Had to create the lower mount.

Was trying to build the bike with only used parts but had to brake down and buy a bottom bracket and crank. The old BB was so rusted once I did get it loosened the inside was so torn up I could not save it. And of course none of my other cranks would fit the new BB. Good news was my chain line was almost perfect. It easily cleared the 3.45 tire but had to notch my fender. I'm not to worried, by the time I get the chain guard on it will hide the notch.
I could not wait any longer so slapped some temporary pedals and handle bars on and went for a test spin. All I can say is YE HAWW!!!!! very comfortable to ride. Raised the seat an inch but really did not make much of a difference. Falls into the turns a little as expected because of the rake but tracks nice and straight and no pedal scraping in the turns.
Hoping to get a chance to work on a new set of handle bars tomorrow. Going to be a modified mustache style I think.
Here are the latest pics.
rearview8_10.jpg

frontview8_10.jpg

I am having to redo the bars. Because if the split bars I had some flexing problems which caused one of the welds to crack. So for safety reasons and since this is my first build I decided to go with more of a standard stem. Will try and use the original concept on another bike.

g-ratter said:
I am having to redo the bars. Because if the split bars I had some flexing problems which caused one of the welds to crack. So for safety reasons and since this is my first build I decided to go with more of a standard stem. Will try and use the original concept on another bike.

what about using your design but connecting the bars some how to increase strength ? or maybe you can triangulate some gussets off the stems ?

Thought about trying different fixes but also felt that they were creating more of a visual bulk up front and taking away from the headlight I created for it.
I think they will need to be teamed up with a heavier fork to look right.
Started on the new bars today. I think they will be just as interesting with a little of a vintage feel. Will post pics first chance I get.

I want to do a 2 tone paint job on this with the front of the bike being one color and the back and bottom of the fork being another. When I welded on a piece to cover the original seat tube it created a nice physical break between the front and back. Originally was just going to create this on the bottom with paint and pinsriping but Galtbacken's fiberglass work inspired me to find my box of fiberglass and to create a real brake.
Sorry I forgot to get early pictures but here it is with the first bondo work to blend it into the down tube.
revealraw.jpg

First high build primer
revealdetail.jpg

View of both top and bottom
reveal.jpg

Still need to do a little glaze work and wet sanding.

Love that headlamp and the rear fender!! Great work! Did you make the lamp yourself? Nice touch, also, to make that fiberglass lug detail! Me likey! :D

Love the rebar forks. I am disappointed you bailed on the ape hangers! I am going with them on my first build and it looks like the site is heavily against apes because haven't seen many. Nice work so far though.

LRayCincinnati said:
Love the rebar forks. I am disappointed you bailed on the ape hangers! I am going with them on my first build and it looks like the site is heavily against apes because haven't seen many. Nice work so far though.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25924

Latest posts

Back