wretched 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jroll44 said:
Cool bike!!! What kind of frame did you start with? Is it a mountain bike frame? Also are those 24" wheels/tires? Again great job, it's coming along well!
I used 4 different frames to create it. Most were MTB frames. The tires are 24" 3G I found at my LBS. The rear triangle was off a multi speed full suspension MTB so the tire fit easily. I actually had to squeeze it together at the back so I could get the wheel bolted on.

ifitsfreeitsforme,
Thanks for the links. I really like the flat ones.

Dr.,
I was thinking of just waiting till my hands are greasy again and just giving it a wipe. The stain idea crossed my mind also. So far it is just stained with old coffee.

The other thing i have seen done to mimic the old cloth covered wire is to use shoe laces. They used ones that were tube shaped not the flat sneaker ones. The plastic tips are cut off and the wire is threaded through them.

g-ratter said:
Been searching for some grips to use. Wanted something different and old looking with some style. When I saw Steppers homemade ones I new they would be perfect.
I changed out the black tape for the string technique I posted earlier and this is what I came up with.
Used some watercolor to give them a stained look before coating with amber shellac.

Close Up:
gripdetail.jpg

Overall View:
handlebars.jpg

How did you do those grips??

Turner 22:
I got the idea from STEPPER
My grips are made from grocery bags.
First I wrapped the bars with some carpet double stick tape then a layer of grocery bag cut to the final width of the grips. This gets wrapped around the bars so the final wrap grips the bars and does not slip around. Then I cut a 1 inch strip from the grocery bag. I found if I cut across the bag it gave me a good length of material.
I coated the back of the stripe with spray on adhesive and just started to wrap starting from the inside and working towards the ends. Because the paper does not stretch it was hard to get a perfect spacing but this is a rat rod after all.
When I got to the end I rolled it over and stuck it inside the tube. I had two corks that had a slight taper to them. Put some white glue on them and shoved them in as far as I could. Had a little sticking out so just trimmed them off.
Then using water colors I created a mottled stain on them.
Wrapped some old string around the front for further texture and to give a finished look.
Then coated it all with 3 coats of amber shellac.
Not very thick of a grip so if you have big hands they would not be as comfortable as a padded set but I like the leather look.

Finished up wiring the lights. Not really sure if I used the correct amount of batteries for the LEDs but everything seems to be working. Got lazy with the wiring. Was originally planning to run it in the frame but did not want to do any more modifications at this time. Maybe in the future???
Thanks ifitsfreeitsforme for the lens links. Found the flat ones at my local Harley dealer for $2.00 each. They are slightly bigger than the original but was able to make them work.
Here are some shots of the rear lights.
taillights.jpg

taillightdetail.jpg

Back