WHY???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sensor said:
ern said:
I don't really dig the sensorship, but then again it's not my website.
i dont have a ship(or a boat for that matter :p )
censorship :wink:
HA! :D messed that one up! ....(there it goes again) :lol:

A little background on the censorship rule....

Several members have stated that they enjoy looking at the forum with their kids. I also have young children who are constantly looking over Daddy's shoulder to see the cool photos of bikes.

That and as the forum admin I look at this site constantly throughout the day and I personally prefer not to have to read it all of the time.

The built in word censor can be goofy at times, but for the most part, it does it's job well.

As stated in the forum rules, creative ways of getting around the word blocker won't be tolerated.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5566

I like the censorship thingamajig, i havent used anything but the "view new topics" and "search" link for the past year, and im even liking the ebay ad, the only thing im not liking is how small the monitors are on the 3 different laptops i use to look at this site all the time. but i make do just fine :mrgreen:

I will always love this place !!!

Morning check list...Coffee in hand, check. e-mails, check. ebay auctions, check. CL, check. RATRODBIKES, check. This is the order every morning at about 4:00 A.M. I really couldn't give a flip about the changes as long as the content is the same and it is populated by the same good bunch of guys ( and girls).

I also like the censorship. Going to other forums with cuss words all over the place is not attractive at all, it's not necessary either... useless garbage. But this site is a different story. 8)

All of the ones who do not support the censorship should be aware of the minors on this board (myself included) to set a positive behavioral example. :wink:

OUTLAW said:
i am using everything i can think of and it still takes forever. this is stupid, i am out of here.

Outlaw

after over 1600 posts, Building and Showing us your cool bikes, looking and commenting and helping others on their bikes, you can't wait for Steve to finish an upgrade to his site?

Holy lack of patience Batman. :?

Having been a bricklayer for 15 years and a cop for 22 years, I learned to cuss with the best of them . The one guy I respected the most in my life was a friend that never cussed once ,and was around all of us all the time. He never said anything about our langauge. I asked him once why he didnt and his answer was...Its not necessary. Always though highly of the guy. :lol I think Steve is doing a fine job....I too live the site. :lol
Like my daddy always told me ...If you can find someplace to live thats better than here...jump on it.

I like living here, like the censorship, but my back button ain't workin. That is the thing I use to go back to another section of THIS site. If I don't tell ratrod that it isn't working then he doesn't know it needs fixin. I just went through the for sale section and wanted to go back to main page. I clicked the back button 8 times, each put me back to the page I was last on. Click #9 returned me to the main section.I use internet explorer 8.

I think it must be an Internet Explorer issue.

I'm using Firefox on three different machines and the back button works as it should in all three.

I've passed the info onto my friend Joe the Programmer and we'll see if he has any ideas. :wink:

I'm running IE8, Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey on my winxp machine and I'm not having any problems, it must be an earlier version of IE.

Just to throw in my 2c, I love the fact that I can go on the site with my kids and know that they will be able to appreciate all the great work here without worrying about what they read. It's not that I don't swear myself on occasion (after I stripped my Nexus 8 after a few too many beers for example) but I know I can leave the kids on the site to look at the bikes while I fix what I just broke :)

Big Fat Whitewalls said:
I'm using Firefox with no problems. As for the ebay adds, I don't even notice them.
Im using Safari, I didnt remember the ads until something was said about them(that i read)

i get no problems...its either that, or i dont realize it

The site is great, I am on here many times a day. My back button at home (win xp pro, Firefox 3) takes me to the top of the previous page; at work (win xp pro, ie 8) I have quit using because of the multi-click issue. Oh well, NBD. I adjust the way I navigate the site as needed to see what I need to see. Thanks Steve for the time and effort you put into this site.

I'm viewing this site in IE 6 and 8 on my home machines, Opera and IE 6 on a netbook (GET ONE, they're cool!) and IE 7 on machines at work that don't have it locked down.

Opera seems to handle it fine. The other systems are all having trouble, since the changes, with the function of the back button and the positioning of the posts on the screen.

Could be I just got used to the way it worked before and now have to again, but it's different and Idon't think I like it. If I just joined today I'd never know the difference I guess.

I had been thinking it was because I hop from platform to platform and was just happy that the software is smart enough to keep me logged in no matter which computer I use and how long I'm gone (like that!) and also because the main desktop I use just got a bigtime upgrade with a new version of XP SP3. But reading this I realize it's not just me.

The forum previously would take you right in to the messages once you posted. Now it hangs out at a confirmation page saying you've posted, would you like to view your just-posted message, etc. And as I said the back button just hangs up unless it's doubleclicked at least.

Additionally the positioning thing was a nice feature- it seems to have gotten lost and I don't know how it is done or how to change settings for it if that's possible- but it would formerly retain your place on a forum page when you move between pages or back to an index page for a forum. Now it's just top of the page every time, no placeholder I guess. Again I don't know what's different, what to call it, or how to make it work like it did before- and I would never know if I just joined today.

My last bit is that I'm fine with the word censor... I think it's fine for the public nature of this forum and the fact that it's not an "adult" site in any intent of the word. I myself generally swear like a sailor under most circumstances but not when it's not appropriate. There are times when it's ok (crashing your bike) and times when it's not (birthday parties for 3 yr olds) and not enough people these days know the difference. So the censor keeps us all civil, though it is only as good as it's programming. The same thing was used on the Schwinn forums, with some unintended results. (Try typing the word "TREATMENT" there sometime...)

Steve, you do a great job keeping the forum going as well as under control, and your good work has been rewarded by many new members, inspiring hundreds of projects, formation of friendships and clubs, and a bond between bicycle riders and builders that has grown literally worldwide in just a few years. That's good stuff right there.

Take care,
--Rob Bareiss (NLCTVWguy)

Ed_Straker's_Rat said:
I'm running IE8, Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey on my winxp machine and I'm not having any problems, it must be an earlier version of IE.

Just to throw in my 2c, I love the fact that I can go on the site with my kids and know that they will be able to appreciate all the great work here without worrying about what they read. It's not that I don't swear myself on occasion (after I stripped my Nexus 8 after a few too many beers for example) but I know I can leave the kids on the site to look at the bikes while I fix what I just broke :)

Back