Who would have thought

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe somebody has tried this before but Who would have thought glass cook top cleaner and a green scrubby would remove rust like this
rust3.jpg

rust4.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust1.jpg

rust5.jpg

Not to much on most of it the heavier areas I just hit the light stuff then put some more cleaner on it and did it again. I think the sprocket and crank took about 20 minutes

This is good to know, I have a bottle of glass cooktop cleaner in my shop because you can use it to clean car headlights and make them less "foggy" I'm going to have to try it for rust, I've done everything else.

Guess a run to the grocery store or wally world is in order.

kingfish254 said:
Guess a run to the grocery store or wally world is in order.

I was lucky, our last 2 houses had glass cooktop stoves, but the current owners don't have cleaner. :mrgreen:

It seems to work great on older chrome but tried it on a 80s chrome bmx frame and it took a lot more scrubbing. and dont use on paint you want to keep

largek9 said:
Wow! Can't wait to try this. Two for one headlights and rusty chrome.Man kitchen cleaners rule! :)
3 for one...I've got a glass cooktop!
Details on the headlights please...wife's van needs it and I'd rather get the three-for! :D

JerseyRat said:
largek9 said:
Wow! Can't wait to try this. Two for one headlights and rusty chrome.Man kitchen cleaners rule! :)
3 for one...I've got a glass cooktop!
Details on the headlights please...wife's van needs it and I'd rather get the three-for! :D

Doesn't work as well as those headlight polish kits you can get at auto stores or Walmart, but if you have cleaner and the headlights are foggy, just rub some on, like wax and rub it off, I saw a difference in my headlights.

Looks good, but 20 minutes per part starts to add up, and make your fingers tired. From the look of the rust in your pictures, Oxalic acid will do just as good, and you just let it soak overnight. Unless you're in a hurry, that's the way I would go. This might work better for odd shaped parts that you can't submerse easily, like sissy bars.

Toeslider said:
Looks good, but 20 minutes per part starts to add up, and make your fingers tired. From the look of the rust in your pictures, Oxalic acid will do just as good, and you just let it soak overnight. Unless you're in a hurry, that's the way I would go. This might work better for odd shaped parts that you can't submerse easily, like sissy bars.
Well when you live in a very small town where its not the easiest to get things like that. You use what you have on hand I usually do stuff like this while were just sitting around outside talking and watching the kids play, so the next thing you know its done.

Latest posts

Back