when did u realize u were a bikeaholic??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i realized it around 1977 or 78 when i got this picture taken me and some other guys had some bikes we kinda threw on own flaver on and called them lowrider bikes we all sported the same jackets as in the pic. we would cruise up and down Grand avenue in central cal.ahh those were the dayz , junior high; check out the cordaroy pants; bad to the bone ! lol

oldskool.jpg

Been into bikes since i can remember , building pit bikes for pool jumping :p . been a bike junkie since 90's , still have loads in shed's .I build them and my lad rides most of them , i try to when i have time.

i don't know what you mean. i just like bikes is all. i can take them or leave them at any time...

...pssst... wanna sell me that bike in your avatar? c'mon, i need it!!!

My dad had a 1956 Harley FLH Panhead the whole time I was a kid growing up, so 2 wheelers have always been whats coolest, from the time I learned to ride at 5 years old until now at 34, I love bikes just as much as I ever have, only now I have between 15 and 20 bikes and have gone through oodles of em. I really think I like bikes more now than I did when I was a kid, because now I can build them exactly the way I want them. I bought a 1957 Schwinn frame and fork last night here off the forum from member Simpleman, I immediately called my pops and this is gonna be a paint and rebuild project he and I are gonna do together, he was stoked, I'm really looking forward to it. Both of us specialize in auto body and paint so gonna whip up something cool! 8)

I realized I was a bikeaholic when I got a bunch of strange looks from my friends at school after I told them I had just spent a few hundred dollars on bicycle tires... but who cares? :lol:

Apparently the typical teen doesn't do that?

I remember the exact incident when I got the bug, but I'm a little hazy on the date. It would have been around '75-77. I was surfing down at Huntington Beach pier. I was headed back for my car, just about to cross PCH at Main Street, and I saw a guy roll up on a beautifully restored Autocycle. I had never seen anything so cool, and I knew right then I was going to have one come heck or high water. It took a while. Some time later, (it was '77) I bought a couple of cheap Sears ten speeds for myself, and my girlfriend. I never really did like the ten speed. But I went to an auction with a buddy of mine, and picked up an old Schwinn Co-Ed for four bucks. I brought it home, fixed it up, and as soon as I rode it around I was hooked. I sold the ten speed, and kept the old Co-Ed. I ended up with a garage full of old bikes at one point, trimmed it down to three, then crated up the three bikes for quite a few years. I got into MTB riding in the 80's, went back to cruisin' in the late 90's. I really got the fever again a little over a year ago when I saw a pic of the Stingray Spoiler. Once again it was : I MUST HAVE THAT BIKE!!! But it caused me to bring the fleet out of mothballs, look up Cyclone Coasters, and- what can I say?
Don't want no recovery.
Having too much fun.

JWM

Looking back I guess it was when I was around six or seven and the other kids at school would call me 'Michael bike-al'. Apparently my bike was all I was interested in even then.

When my son was racing mt. bikes... We use to think that having more money into what was on the roof of the car than the car that roof was attached to was a pretty clear sign.

Latest posts

Back