When Cutting Down a Fork for Smaller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a ladies CWC Springer. 7-1/2? To the 5" a men's is.

My question is this, how are you modifying the rods to match the new cutdown height of the steer tube?

Are you cutting the rods down and re-threading those, too?

Fz

I cut the steer tube down, and select a different fork to match. It is possible to but the thread on the fork down further, if you have a tool to do that.

I would cut and retread you'll probably have to rebend to fit

A couple of things to consider. First if you remove 2 1/2” from the tube, you’ll need to remove the same amount from the rods. I’ve done this to a woman’s fork I used on a men’s frame, but you’ll need a threading die to cut the threads on the tube and you’ll have to either mill a slot in the threads for the washer or drill a hole for the inner washer tab to set into. On the rods, I threaded the die on the rod all the way down to the end of the threads, then clamp the threaded part of the rod in my vise and continue to thread down another 2 1/2”. After I’ve cut the threads I cut off 2 1/2” (the part that was in my vise with the damaged threads) , then unscrew the die.

Agree, even a hacksaw can shorten the steer tube. Done that a number of times.

For threading/retreating the steer tube over the years, I've picked up both a 1" and a 1-1/8 die and handle. Before I had the handle I used a big pipe wrench to hold the 1" die. 1 die and the handle came outta the UK and the other die came from Japan.
20231006_183217.jpg

For the rods, I have smashed them out with a hammer after shorteninh, and milled with a grinding bit on the drill press to get a slotted shape.

I've also used a conduit bender to recurve them. To make a longer one reach closer to a shorter head tube.

You could also use a spacer above the bearing race and not change anything .
20231006_183750.jpg

Latest posts

Back