WHAT'S THIS FRAME ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys need some help to find info. on this frame it does not have a head badge on it and it does not have any holes to put one in
the vin number is 9-188-1644 i will thank you verry much on any info. on it
NEWFRAME5.jpg

NEWFRAME4.jpg

NEWFRAME.jpg

thank you guys :)

thank guys :D
what gets me is the vin number it has just this 9 188 1644 could that be right :?:

The way to positively identify a Columbia frame is the top tube is one piece thru the seatpost like on Uneasy Rider's green frame,I can't tell from Rico's pictures if the top tube is one piece or two pieces

Hi Herman
it's a two pice the top tube :!:
what can you help me with :?: thank's for you're help :!:
later :wink:

take the tank off, if it has a tab in the front and rear with a tube running out to the tank sides, you have a reproduction western flyer frame (made in the late 1990's), they didnt have "badges", they had a water slide decal for a headbadge. my frame has the same kickstand plate and has the same # ### #### serial on the bottom of the crank. mines a black and red "special edition".

just like this but the pics not mine

22.jpg

Right now the make of the Columbia lookalike(two piece top tube) escapes me(old age?),if I remember who it was I'll surely post it.The frame most likely dates to the mid or late 50's and would of had either a glued on head badge or decal.The tank is definately the reproduction Western Flyer(nice quality).Will definately be a nice project!!!,Herman

I just saw CCR's post,it may well be a repro frame,I'm not up on the repro stuff,Herman

Herman said:
The way to positively identify a Columbia frame is the top tube is one piece thru the seatpost like on Uneasy Rider's green frame,I can't tell from Rico's pictures if the top tube is one piece or two pieces

so by one piece or two piece do you mean for one piece the top tube either goes completely threw the seat tube with no breaks and for two piece it is from the head tube to the seat tube then cuts and back to seat tube to seat stays? if its one piece how does the seat post slide in and mount? always wondered :?. havent had a columbia yet. thanks for any help!

thank's ccr :!:

that was great help now i have to go on a hunt again i should find something on the 50th by monday :!:

again thank you :) later mike :wink:

I'm not sure who manufactured those reproductions, but I noticed before that it looked like they mixed attributes (dropouts, chainstays) of Columbia with a similar bike from another manufacturer (maybe Snyder, or Murray) I think they also put a couple of different labels/paintschemes on them. From the other members posts, I'd say that's what you have. The green bike is a Columbia like the one you just let go. I believe my "Goodyear" version used to have 2 sets of #'s as well, 1 on the crank hanger, and 1 on the dropouts.

deorman the one i sold it had the numbers on the dropouts i think i will look for something on the real thing more than a reproduction i think that with all respect i dont like reproductions :!: at least on the frames , i will on only in parts :!: you guys are alot of help thank's to all of you i dint get started on the prep for paint :roll: one more thing i notice on the tank was that it did not had a horn :idea: that did not look normal oh well .
thank's again later mike :wink:

Suicideride,though the top tube is one piece,it is drilled for the seatpost to pass thru

Back