What to do??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased this bike for all of $15. It was bought with the intent of cutting it up and rewelding it into a long and low bike. Looking for any suggestions that I might like better. The bike is nothing special, just a mid 80's Murray Monterey. The bike rides incredibly well but has its flaws. The rims and tires don't match(major problem considering that I am a Libra and require that things match), the seat is actually a Huffy, the main bar between the seat and fork head is pretty rusted(not through yet, but close). Anyways, I basically have no imagination so I am calling on you guys to point me in a direction.

A. Clean the excess grease off and ride it as is.
B. Fully disassembly, bring chrome back to shiny, leaving paint as is.
C. "^^^^^^", full paint job in different color.
D. Part out and re-create as a clunker using old Mtn. bike parts recently given to me.
E. Cut up and rebuild into lowrider, first welding project ever.

Sorry for the size of the images, haven't learned how to resize them yet.
2007_0611Image0018.jpg

2007_0611Image0019.jpg

Funny, the guys name that sold me the bike was Don, Hmmm
2007_0611Image0020.jpg

2007_0611Image0022.jpg

2007_0611Image0021.jpg

2007_0611Image0027.jpg

2007_0611Image0025.jpg

What to do, what to do?? I realize the whole it's my bike, do what makes me happy discussion, I was just looking for more input than that.

Lefty

1. Ditch the fenders, the basket and the chainguard.
2. Polish up the wheels and handlebars.
3. Clean off the grease.
4. Swap out the seat for a nice retro springer.
5. Put on some quality, matching rubber.
6. Draw a line through Chuck's name on the license plate.
7. Put a bell on it and ride!

You can't buy that kind of patina! Don't throw it away!

A. Clean the excess grease off and ride it as is.
B. Fully disassembly, bring chrome back to shiny, leaving paint as is.
C. "^^^^^^", full paint job in different color.
D. Part out and re-create as a clunker using old Mtn. bike parts recently given to me.
E. Cut up and rebuild into lowrider, first welding project ever.

I'd go with A. I always wanted a bike that looks that old. Then if you're fed up with that, you can go for B. After that you're going for C ofcourse, within a few days. Then I'd skip D, and go for E.
Ah heck, go for E without any paintjobs!

Thanks for all the input. I think I will go ahead with original plan of a lowrider. I already have a flat black 62' typhoon cruiser with apes, I don't think I need another basically stock cruiser.

Thanks again,
Lefty

DUDE look up kenny p and honest abe bikes and [sorry but I forgot] some one else made a stretch rust bucket and they are AWSOME !! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

cut it shape it make it the way you want it then show us how you did
you'll love it and if not do it again

Thanks dos cruiser, you're right, do it , if I don't like it, do it again.

October, I'm glad you chimed in. I bought this bike with that exact post in mind, I hope you don't mind if I borrow your layout with just a couple modifications.

I bought it, got a little side tracked with how well it rode, but now I'm back on track. Everything takes forever with me so don't expect to see a bike by next week. I will however take lots pics and keep them posted.

Lefty

Back