What Modern day bike will be the "Blue Bird" in 100 years?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Duderino said:
as this company grows I would say one of these will always be collectible. this is my favorite new belgium model. the schwinn repop phantom
http://dangerousintersection.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fat-tire-beer.jpg
other than that maybe a dave mirra signature haro from the late 90's

schwinnnewbelgium0041.jpg

It was a nice looking bike, but made cheaply. I sold it days after i got it. I still have my 2006 electra though.

I do agree that the value of New Belgium bikes will likely go up in 100 years, but since they're really just rebadged/tweaked major company bikes, they will likely only be worth what the brew collectors would be willing to pay.

I believe that the most valuable bike in 100 years will not be cruiser, but likely mountain bikes or road bikes. My vote for current or recent day bicycles will be for the small mountain bike industries. Pretty much anything by Blacksheep has my vote, especially since they're local. Carbon fiber bikes will likely not be as valuable as rare metals bicycles. example:
BlackSheep29er.BK-660x412.jpg

I think I'll be holding onto my 78 cooks brothers for quite a few years to come.

gcrank1 said:
Man!, that Cooks Bros. is sweet!, I had no idea (guess Ive been out of the loop way too long).........

The photo is not of a Cook Bros bike, the photo is of a Black Sheep mentioned just above the pic, and Black Sheeps are bad-A.

Peatbog said:
People tend to want what they had as children, so maybe cheap Walmart bikes....

Sigh.... I just CAN'T see me wanting a Huffy Sigma later in life....... Will clash w/ my Ferrari :D

Just kidding I don't have a Ferrari........................ yet.

Ok I guess I could make meaningful ( :?: )contribution to this thread.... Anything cool and produced in lesser numbers.
The first mountain bikes, Ritchey, Fischer, Trek, Specialized, etc. The "firsts" will become more and more desirable, just look at the vintage MTB nostalgia that's ALREADY going on in the mountain states.

Bikes from boutique makers ALWAYS ALWAYS have appeal. Look at what old Colnago, Bianchi, and Merckx bikes are selling on Ebay for, WOW! :shock:

Boutique U.S. brands, Moots, Seven, Serrotta, they've maintained a consistent drool-worthiness.

And the boutique cruiser/custom makers.

Electra regrettably probably will be desirable.

Any of the New Belgium bikes WILL bring BIG HUGE money, but you'll have to hang onto the bike for a LOOOONNNGGG time, but they'll get there.

That Hudson Hawk is KILLER!!!!

vincev said:
Dont hate it because it has a motor.lol
FELT1903-4.jpg

I love it, I'd do a little detailing to the motor though. If you blacked out the side cover and match the red and gold pinstripes from the tank and chainguard that would set it off like a fire cracker.

I think any unmolested OCC stingray choppers simply because so many are being chopped up for parts and so many are rusted and beaten to death. I do think the tires will become a pain to find though. Also I think the Giant Stiletto will be a huge collectable. they are pretty tough to find now just think in 100 years. Also any original paint well cared for high end BMX bike because so many are being destroyed at the skate parks.

Just imagine, someone finding a Huffy Santa Fe in 100+ years in some old garage or basement and restoring it back to its original condition. Hunting for plastic pedals, mirrors, reflectors, seats and etc. Trust me...its gunna happen.

I'm thing instead of tossing all these plastic bike parts in the trash, we should save them up and have a good stash of "NOS" parts to sell in 30-40 or even 50+ years.

Double Nickle said:
Just imagine, someone finding a Huffy Santa Fe in 100+ years in some old garage or basement and restoring it back to its original condition. Hunting for plastic pedals, mirrors, reflectors, seats and etc. Trust me...its gunna happen.

I'm thing instead of tossing all these plastic bike parts in the trash, we should save them up and have a good stash of "NOS" parts to sell in 30-40 or even 50+ years.

As long as it still works I never throw good parts in the trash. Even if I just give it away to a kid with a broken pedal so he can enjoy riding a bike it is worth saving. I'm a bike hoarder like that. :oops: 8)

Also just to bring up the flip-side of this coin. 1950's Schwinns were built with such great quality. Bikes now have gotten sloppy, cheap made in china parts that break if you look at them the wrong way. What will bikes look like in 100 years? I'd be scared to ride one.

After reading about the 'deals' at the big-box stores I had to take a look. The 'frugal' in me saw possibilities, but, lets see.........a $100-$150 bike, minus the profit margin (30%), minus other acquisition costs means that bike cost how much to build? If/when the frame or fork fails and it throws somebody on their face how long it it going to take before they are 'outlawed' as unsafe consumer products?
Of course then our well built vintage bikes will be worth even more :D .
Old parts for motorcycles or cars are gold now, and even some bike parts. Im thinking there really is no 'junk', just not enough room to store it all.

Back