What Modern day bike will be the "Blue Bird" in 100 years?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
What Modern day bike will be the "Elgin Blue Bird" in 100 years?

Please Post a picture and the name of your pick for the Holy Grail bike in 100+ years!

Thanks,
Tyler

My pick goes to the Electra Rat Fink Cruiser. I can see this being a big time collectable in 100+ years. Not many out there, expensive retail price, the cool factor and history all would put this bike at the top of any collectors list in 2112 8)

DSC_0008-2.jpg

It won't be anything that people anticipate to be collectible. Kind of like how the modern Stingrays won't ever have much collectibility because there are many people that are preserving them or keeping them new in the box with the hopes of them being valuable one day like the old Krates and 'rays are.

Old bikes, old cars and old anything of value are that way because they were for mere utility back when they were new. Nobody thought of them as having value in the future.

Sadly, nothing from today will last unless it is preserved intentionally.

Maybe the Hawk Hudson...It already has a classic inspired design but I don't see a bike like this getting LESS desirable.

bild_cruiser_hudson_.jpg

And maybe by 2112 I could afford one so ya know, I got that going for me.

Maybe a newer Schwinn Stingray...

People today dont care about them...A hundred years from now they really wont care.

I predict.

Yeah I judge people.

I think anything made by Felt would be desirable, Such quality and workmanship go into their bikes. I think Schwinn will always have the cult following that it has always had. Just wish they were still made in Chicago. :roll: Most the chopper bikes, although I feel it will become difficult to source tires for them, will be like the Sears Spyder and Stingrays of years ago. I don't care what is out there as long I can wrench on them and ride them. :mrgreen:

If you're looking at current frame materials (carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, ...bambo???) you'll be hard pressed to find one that your grandkids will pull out of some guy's garage and cut/grind/weld. Some of those Wal Mart bikes that people love to bash for being assembled incorrectly are going to be the prize finds for future rat rod bikers. Someone will get a shot at the 40 + old bikes I have in MY garage! :lol:

Any of 'my bikes', of course :wink:
More like any of Joey Mac's :D
Maybe the early GT Dyno's before the ownership change(s); things like that have a history of becoming desirable.

Yep i think so to, i may not be around in a hundred years so let me know how it turns out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Sulley

024-2.jpg

I love the Spoiler and think it's the last 'significant' bike they may ever produce.

This is just my opinion, but, I think the 'time' in which the bike was made is a key factor in it's future 'iconic' status.

When Elgin was in business, 'cruiser' style bikes were the rage,the Bluebird was 'out of the box' for it's time. Today's customer base, to be honest, is not buying a lot of high-end 'cruiser' style bikes.
They are investing in road bikes, mountain bikes and commuters (the next craze, IMHO). So, I think you need to look at the 'small' houses, not Schwinn/Pacific, Felt, Electra or Nirve. Rather, the 'collectibles' will be from shops like Ellsworth, . Here's my entry for a future collectable, 'The Ride'.

ewb-4a23e5ab40b5e-ride.png

Cheers,
Dr. T

Any clean, unmolested example of a girls version of a now "rare" boys bike. If you think I'm joking, I'm not. Nice clean examples are being parted out and their frames scrapped because they aren't as desirable as the boys version. Mark my words.

fatkid said:
Any clean, unmolested example of a girls version of a now "rare" boys bike. If you think I'm joking, I'm not. Nice clean examples are being parted out and their frames scrapped because they aren't as desirable as the boys version. Mark my words.
hes got a point

The high end stuff, like the Ellsworth ($4k !) or even the Felts, etc. will have a following, like any high end stuff has tended to have over time, but the sleepers are the 'affordable' bikes, the ones that get used up and modified and diminish in numbers, and condition. The wont be perceived as having much value when newish, but watch out later.
Im at the age where looking back I can honestly say," I wish I had bought a semi-load of xxxxx back then!".

Back