What makes them different

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm no expert but I been looking at the prewar motorbikes and they all look almost the same,
Elgin, schwinn, Hawthorne, iver Johnson, even the Indians and Harley that are really expensive. So what makes them different from one another? The head badge?

There are some differences but I'm not sure to many people on this site really know or seem to care. Here we just find them and build something cool out of them. (or try)

If you're looking for one just find the frame at the right price that you like. Something unique!

Look a little harder. Plenty of differences.

El guapo said:
I'm no expert but I been looking at the prewar motorbikes and they all look almost the same,
Elgin, schwinn, Hawthorne, iver Johnson, even the Indians and Harley that are really expensive. So what makes them different from one another? The head badge?

RatSphinx said:
Look a little harder. Plenty of differences.

El guapo said:

He's right, Motor bike really is just a frame style, like the cantilever frame. Many different styles of the cantilever.

THat being said, there are a lot of identical frames with different badges.

You'll figure out who built what and see the differences in good time. Schwinns are easy to spot. CWC-built frames, even more so. Look at details like welded(electro-forged) vs brazed vs lugged contruction, drop-out style, geometry, spaces between/shape of the top tubes, etc.

Latest posts

Back