What led you to this site?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really sure how I found this site. It was around the same time, maybe a little while before, that I found the freakbikenation.com site. Been here about every day since then to see whats new and look for inspiration.

Shaggy

i was directed here by gerry lauzons site, and i havent been the same since. :lol: i love the atmosphere and good naturedness here.

don't remember exactly, but either the Schwinn site or thecabe site had some reference to "rat rod bikes", which caught my eye. I like rat rod cars, so I linked up and signed up, and now my storage spaces are full of projects. :D Thanks Steve!

I had never heard the term ratrod before so I googled "Classic Bicycle" in search of a bumper style sprung Roadmaster like I had as a kid and that took me to The Cabe where someone referenced this site in a posting. It took me awhile to grasp the ratrod mentality - I was pretty traditional in my thinking so I was only looking for restoration parts at first. This years buildoff provided me the incentive to build my first custom bike which essentially is a ratrod. Now I think more about building for fun and that is definitely a product of hanging around this site. There is a laid back gracious attitude here with lots of friendly helpful people. I think we have achieved what Aristotle was referring to - "The whole is more than the sum of its parts".

Googled for custom beachcruisers.

I had been tinkering with my ratrod-cruiser and was thinking about doing a make-over. Plus I had found several other bikes, so I googled for 'custom cruisers'. On this site I not only found those, but also all the other diamond frames, old roadbikes and such. Not only ratrods, but also more out of the box thought out bikes and designs. That made me decide to leave my cruiser alone and start 'customizing' the roadbikes I had found.

RRBdotCOM is the best custom bike place on the web: The bikes AND the people are very cool...

I was just looking for an online hangout about bikes, but all dutch forums are pretty much dead, so I ended up here when I replaced "fiets" with "bicycle" on google. The rest is history as they say.

I've always loved riding bikes since I was a kid.
I moved near the ocean six months ago, and decided to get a cruiser to ride around. While perusing the Internet looking for different bikes, I found some tank-style bikes and instantly fell in love! Then I found this site while searching for cruiser websites. I went out and blew my wad on a discounted, discontinued Electra Vince and then purchased a Raleigh cruiser off of Craigslist. "Two bikes is plenty" I thought. Yeah right.
Six months later, I have five cruisers and am building my first one from used parts, I regularly flip bikes for extra cash and have learned a great deal about bikes and bike maintenance from this site. I also really enjoy having a large community of like-minded hobbyists. Some of my friends think I'm nuts and can't understand my obsession, but I probably don't need to explain the cathartic feeling I get when working on bikes, riding them and planning modifications.
Thanks again for the awesome site Rat Rod!

I got here by looking at old Schwinn's. It all started by riding motorcycles. I had a Suzuki and rode it for about two years and needless to say the bike was a total bore! I test rode a Harley and found that it had some type of character that other motorcycles did not have, so I found a nice used one and bought it! About a year ago I decided to try to find a bicycle that was close to the seating position as my Harley to help with my balance so I could ride the Harley better. I test rode all types of new bikes and found the new higher end Schwinn's rode like ....! So I bought a Giant Suede which I liked but it was missing something. About the time I bought the Giant I started getting into antique hunting and I kept seeing old Schwinn's at estate sales. I was afraid to pay the crazy money everyone wanted for them. So I kept the idea of an old Schwinn on the back burner while I collected old safety razors and vintage audio equipment! But I kept looking on Google about old Schwinn's and found this site and learned a bunch. I kept looking on craigslist for old bikes and finally found some old piece of crap typhoon. It was cheap, I have no mechanical ability and I decided to take a risk and buy it and try to fix it up. I bought it and now I am addicted. I fixed it up nicely and cannot believe I was able to! It rides so dam good and has some much soul! I have figured out that old things made in USA have something that I can't explain, I guess it is soul!

i googled rat rods, and this site was one of the links i the first page, so i ventured through it. i had already built one bike(stretch) so that was my name, and i loved it ever since! 8)

I was searching google for info on my Stingray that I unearthed during my garage rebuild. It led me to this site. The garage is home to my buddy's '70 Challenger R/T while my '70 Charger is being restored in his shop. I love and have owned several hot rods since I was a kid. I also collect vintage plastic models and diecast cars.I'm a chronic eBay addict.
After a few short months on this site I went from one old Stingray to twelve old bikes of all kinds. I can't get enough. This is the perfect creative outlet I was looking for and it won't break the bank.
I'm just mad that I didn't get into it sooner. I passed on a bunch of cool bikes during the years.

Spokeshave said:
I was searching google for info on my Stingray that I unearthed during my garage rebuild. It led me to this site. The garage is home to my buddy's '70 Challenger R/T while my '70 Charger is being restored in his shop. I love and have owned several hot rods since I was a kid. I also collect vintage plastic models and diecast cars.I'm a chronic eBay addict.
After a few short months on this site I went from one old Stingray to twelve old bikes of all kinds. I can't get enough. This is the perfect creative outlet I was looking for and it won't break the bank.
I'm just mad that I didn't get into it sooner. I passed on a bunch of cool bikes during the years.
Same here, I have my entire entertainment center covered with die cast, even a few rat rod ones!
Sweet on the Charger Are you going with the 318 for fuel milage, the 383 for a little tire smoke, 440 six pack for major speed or a Hemi for......well it's a Hemi?

Larry (KOTA) told me about this site when I went for the ride in Hartford :wink: Thanks Larry 8) Best site ever made :mrgreen:

posted a pic of my schwinn i had just got from my uncle over on oldminibikes.com and a guy gave me a link to here been doin this instead of mini bikes ever since 8)

I picked up two mountain bike someone was throwing away and decided to make a prewar looking winter ride, thought I was the only one who built bikes from nothing then I found this place, love it.

On a beach vacation, we rented bicycles. BAM! It hit me how much I missed the simple pleasure and freedom of riding a bike. Well, went home, dug out the old MTB, HATED IT. So I started looking for a 'beach bike' online. From there, Google brought me here.

I've never looked back, but now I'm making the MTB a pleasure to ride agan.

My whole life, I've always hung out with the wrong crowd of misfits and trouble makers.....That's how I ended up here.

Back