What led you to this site?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was just thinking I have heard some cool stories about how different people have found the site.

Mine was my love of bikes and my love of rat rod cars, one day doing a few image searches through yahoo I forgot to clear the search bar and after searching for a few rat rod pics to put as my desktop, I typed in bike parts to try to find a spring fork for my GF's beach cruiser. So searching for Rat Rod Bike parts yielded the coolest site I have found yet!

What is your story???

i like hot rods, but i love rat rods. so when i got my first cruiser back in mid march, i thought i would be ''original'' and do a rat rod style bike.i didnt know much about bikes (still dont) so i did what im sure alot of us have done, do a Google search, for inspiration. and wah-lah!
rat rod bikes.com was the first site that popped up, i lurked around for a couple days just amazed at all the cool bikes (and trikes) that i saw here. after many days of comming home from work straight to this site i decided to join.

this site really opened up my eyes to the world of bikes. in a period of about 5 months ive gathered 5 bikes (sold 2). it seems i got the early stages of the ''bug''. cus thats all i think about all day,every day, every where i go, looking for ideas, parts, any thing Rat to put on my bikes.
i dnt have alot of tools, or space to work but i do enjoy watching some of the other projects ppl have going on here.

p.s. i like the atmosphere of this forum, every1 is so friendly and helpful.

-Edgar (DonQui)

it was a link on a friend of a friends page from myspace.
back when the second page was the archives :mrgreen:
and you could go 2-3 days without a new post :lol:

ahhhh the good old days.....

From a RRB member I bumped into on AZ. Had something to do with the Munson Bike swap where I met the New England crowd. The light had hit me.......then I stepped out of the doorway and realized that the sun was bouncing off KOTA's bald head. :shock:

Been friends ever since :wink: Love this place!

Graylock

Member Scott (37fleetwood) posted a link to his Godzilla build at yahoo's Balloon Tire Bicycles group. It's a pretty slow group, with most of the "old timer" old bike guys who got things rolling in the 80s! Anyway, Scott posted it, and said "not sure if any of you would like this sort of thing, but here's what I've been working on". I was instantly mesmerized! :shock: This was the site of a lifetime! :mrgreen: And from here, I found my way to the Cabe, Scott's Classic Bicycle Fanatics, and the schwinn forum (not the pacific owned one, the GOOD one)! I was truly amazed that there were so many who loved old bikes and tinkering as much as me! GROUP HUG!! :lol: -Adam

Some knucklehead named Steve, posted pics of his awesome Schwinn klunker on VintageBMX.com (or maybe it was the prewar Elgin) and I immediately "got it" and have been more or less hooked ever since.

Steve lured me and now I get more excited about board trackers as art, than I do about the latest 2.6 lb. aluminum BMX race frame.

I have a Hawthorne build on the way and I would imagine many more in the future.

-Hooked.

I was a member at CBN (Chopper Bicycle dot Net RIP) It was towards the end, with a ton of pRon spam and junk left and right. I believe Steve had recently joined and posted about RRB. This was waaaaaay more my speed. I don't weld, I'm poor, and the "niceness" rules were appealing to me as well. I'm guessing (Steve, correct me) the site went live Sept. 1, 2006, and I was signed up by the 17th. I don't post super-often, but I'm on here almost every day. And I'm a big evangelist for the site. I tell people about it all the time.

DonQui said:
this site really opened up my eyes to the world of bikes. in a period of about 5 months ive gathered 5 bikes (sold 2). it seems i got the early stages of the ''bug''. cus thats all i think about all day,every day, every where i go, looking for ideas, parts, any thing Rat to put on my bikes.
i dnt have alot of tools, or space to work but i do enjoy watching some of the other projects ppl have going on here.

p.s. i like the atmosphere of this forum, every1 is so friendly and helpful.

-Edgar (DonQui)

Same here I work out of a 10' x 10' shed out in my back yard, So far I have 2 toolboxes in there, the lawnmower, 30+ bikes, a trike, and enough parts to probably build 30+ more.....lol. If you're looking for cheap tools keep your eyes open at the local pawn shops, yard sales, and flea markets. That's what I did and now I've got more tools than I know what to do with. Also don't forget to buy up broken Craftsman ratchets. Take them back to sears and get NEW ones! Same goes for Snap-off and MAC.

I been on here every day since I joined. I think I'm addicted.

outskirtscustoms said:
Also don't forget to buy up broken Craftsman ratchets. Take them back to sears and get NEW ones! Same goes for Snap-off and MAC.
well......all the sears stores within a 60 mile radius of me have stopped doing that(dont know if the others have or havent)....theyll send you to a shop(off site of course) and have you trade it in for a refurbished tool now. i guess ill just keep buying snap-on and matco since the truck comes to my work and ive never had a problem swapping anything that didnt perform/broke

anyhow back on topic!
saw some of ratrod and hoochs bikes on the pacific site and clicked the link....thats all i needed :mrgreen:

Yeah they give re-man ratchets here too but when you bring in buckets at a time they run out fast and have to give you NEW ones.......I got about 200+ ratchets, I break them and throw them in a 5 gallon bucket, when I get about three buckets full I bring them in and walk out with 50-100 re-man ratchets and the rest all new. First time I had to get the manager called out, now they all know me so they don't give me a stink about it. I just told them I am a mechanic and don't have time to run in to the store for a single ratchet and I have used craftsman tools for years and if they didn't stand behind their tools I'd switch everything in my home and work boxes to snap on and mac. Manager said "Give this man anything he needs".

Economic hard times led me here....How??? (cue the violins)

The construction industry went belly-up in Hawaii, had to sell my motorcycle to pay for my move to Philadelphia (to make a long story short) I needed to find another creative outlet that wasn't as expensive as my classic BMW cafe racer motorcycle. So I googled " bicycle rat rod" and this was the first site that popped-up...I lurked in this site for about 3 month to be fully immersed in this custom scene before I signed in and became a member...

i would like to thank my internet providers ... neondsl, mediacom, verizon and frontier ... my pc's ... lenovo, toshiba and hp ... big thanks to ameren for the juice to turn this stuff on ... my web browsers ... IE, Firefox and Chrome ... and a HUGE thanks to Ratrod for putting a virtual roof over our heads, without which I'd probably be out riding my bike right now instead of on the computer, Thank You all and God Bless !!!

ratdaddy said:
I was a member at CBN (Chopper Bicycle dot Net RIP) It was towards the end, with a ton of pRon spam and junk left and right. I believe Steve had recently joined and posted about RRB. This was waaaaaay more my speed. I don't weld, I'm poor, and the "niceness" rules were appealing to me as well. I'm guessing (Steve, correct me) the site went live Sept. 1, 2006, and I was signed up by the 17th. I don't post super-often, but I'm on here almost every day. And I'm a big evangelist for the site. I tell people about it all the time.
I too was a regular at CBN and finally jumped ship and over to here on September 21 2006.

Back