What is this schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend dropped this bike off to me. He said he thought it was a 52 or 53. He got it from a guy who owned a bike shop. This was the display bike in the front window and when he closed the shop he took the display bike and it sat at his house. I looked on the drop out and under the crank for a s.n. but found none. The cranks on this thing are super short. The guy told him they were wheelie cranks or something like that. Any help IDing it would be greatly appreciated.
IMAG0219-1.jpg

IMAG0220-1.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Unfortunately, the frame is not Schwinn. Since it has no badge holes, it was likely a sticker headbadge which started in the late 60s. It looks like somewhere in its lifetime, somebody put Schwinn S-7 rims on it though. The crank is likely from a 20" or 24" kids bike.

Cheap knock-off w/crank set from kid's bike. Going by the lack of head badge holes and poor rear dropout fit, late American or early Taiwan '69-'79. Kind of looks like an AMF? Roadmaster fork.

Looks like its a piece of crap bike so i think its going to get cut up and made into something else. Time to start cruising the gallery for ideas.

deorman said:
Cheap knock-off w/crank set from kid's bike. Going by the lack of head badge holes and poor rear dropout fit, late American or early Taiwan '69-'79. Kind of looks like an AMF? Roadmaster fork.

Yeah, looks like late AMF frame. Good lines, poor quality but looks like it will make a GREAT project bike.

Xcruiser said:
If it was a schwinn it would be fillet brazed-thats how you spot 90% of schwinn bikes.They smooth and round up at the welds.

Xcruiser is right. Most schwinns have smooth transitions.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html

Brass at the head tube on a schwinn is fairly uncommon. A lot of people think they are brazed because of the smooth transitions. I have owned many schwinns. I have only owned 2 that had brass at the head tube. One was smooth. It was a 70's super sport. The other was a competition scrambler bmx frame. The brass on that bike was not finished down smooth as if they wanted the fact that it was brazed to show to differentiate it from the electro-forged models.

If you are ever unsure if your bike was brazed or electro-forged you can remove the fork and look at the inside of the head tube where the top tubes and down tubes connect to it.

Latest posts

Back