what does your kid ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious what the future holds with us bikers..So my son Brian, 7 yrs old doesn't know how to ride yet. Yes it is my fault. He has a Wally krate with trainers.. Wish me and him luck!
DSCF1746.jpg

lets see cassidys had a 67 little tiger,custom pirate midget,stingray chopper,schwinn gold scooter,and some beat up bike he actually rides

my 5 year old has a 57 pixie(it is rideable that was just when i was rebuilding it after regreasing and polishing and straightening it....that why no pedals or chain or chain guard)........
jessespixie003.jpg

sensor said:
my 5 year old has a 57 pixie(it is rideable that was just when i was rebuilding it after regreasing and polishing and straightening it....that why no pedals or chain or chain guard)........
jessespixie003.jpg
thats pretty nice.love the winged headbadges :mrgreen:

FaceOFFbikes said:
I am just curious what the future holds with us bikers..So my son Brian, 7 yrs old doesn't know how to ride yet. Yes it is my fault. He has a Wally krate with trainers.. Wish me and him luck!
Theres no way hes 7...he looks so much older

Is that bad?

TheFlyingDingo said:
FaceOFFbikes said:
Theres no way hes 7...he looks so much older

Is that bad?
HA! I know he is huge, just like his Dad. I'm 6'8" tall so of course my son has to be big..JUST turned 7 in Janurary..about a hundred lbs of huskiness..My soon to be 11 yr old daughter is about 5'4" just as tall as her mother/my wife.

The easiest way to teach him to ride is to take off the training wheels and the pedals, let him push the bike around with his feet and learn to balance the bike and then put the pedals back on and he'll be riding in no time. I have taught many a child to learn to ride this way. Try it and see what happens.

well my boy has a few bikes (Toooooo many) lol

the one that started it all. It was free then he did an army theme to it
IMG_2567.jpg

then we got this for $30 and did a real big number to it!

IMG_0924-1.jpg

then came some off road fun! I had my son build and trade a bike to get this one!

IMG_3241.jpg

but now the first chopper is getting too small for him so now we are building this one together

IMG_1947.jpg

This one he built to sell and make a little cash to buy some lego

IMG_3063.jpg

the plan is to only keep the new chopper and the MTN bike...the rest is going up for sale

Bicyclerick said:
The easiest way to teach him to ride is to take off the training wheels and the pedals, let him push the bike around with his feet and learn to balance the bike and then put the pedals back on and he'll be riding in no time. I have taught many a child to learn to ride this way. Try it and see what happens.
That makes a ton of sense.. Balance first..Ok I will try it. I dont think I can get the seat low enough for his feet to be be flat on the ground. It's still worth a shot. Thanks

Grass. You need to start riding on grass in a back yard or park with flat ground. That way they have less fear of falling and no scraps. Just get him to pedal in a straight line. Once he's done that a dozen times get him to start turning the handlebar a little. Going from leaning into a turn with training wheels and balancing the bike into a turn are different animals.

SuperStuff said:
Grass. You need to start riding on grass in a back yard or park with flat ground. That way they have less fear of falling and no scraps. Just get him to pedal in a straight line. Once he's done that a dozen times get him to start turning the handlebar a little. Going from leaning into a turn with training wheels and balancing the bike into a turn are different animals.
So you agree to take of the trainers?

I took the training wheels off, but I suppose setting them very high and not keeping the bike even on the ground would work as well. I balanced my kids on the bike and pushed them straight with my hands on the back seat. After awhile you push them up to a reasonable speed, remove your hand, and tell them to keep pedaling. Count how many pedal cranks they do or use distance as an incentive to do more. So if they pedal 4 times the first time tell them to pedal 6 times the next time.

Almost forgot to say what my kids ride:

Paige rides a blue Schwinn Lil Chic right now, but I'm assemblying a yellow Schwinn Fair Lady 3 speed at present time.
Rachel rides a blue Schwinn Lil Chic and she wants me to fix up a blue Schwinn Fair Lady 3 speed next.
Trevor has a red Schwinn Stingray Junior and we are working on a '84 Schwinn Thrasher bmx bike for him.
Sarah has a pink/white mid 80s 18" tire Schwinn Debbie and we are working on her rat rod bike build off bike.

SuperStuff said:
I agree
It feels sooo much better falling in grass than on concrete
Ive got the scars to prove it..lol

Riding lessons. Let him get used to walking the bike around on his tiptoes. then tell him to pedal and never take the feet off the pedals. He should pick it up quick. My 5 year old rides like a banshee and my 7 year old (developmental delays) is just learning.

Here is are a couple of the current rides. Just finished the Bantam and the chopper was done about 9 months ago. Locojoe gave me the idea for the chopper...Funny is the older kids in the neighbor hood have a hard time riding it because of the fork rake.

0326081741a.jpg

0610071055.jpg

No kids of my own,but my 7yo.niece (helper) has a 20" Stingray Low Rider and a mid 80's Diamond Back Hot Streak Freestyle.

Back